By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Arlo - Addressing the Alleged Switch/Wii U Hypocrisy

Do you think the people praising the Switch's library are hypocrites for not praising/not buying the Wii U's library?

Nah, the Wii U Sucks. 23 58.97%

HYPOCRITES! Justice for the Wii U! 16 41.03%

Total:39

Eh, I like Arlo, but he seems to talk a lot with his emotions a lot rather than his head. Of course the Switch has more top notch games, it pretty much ripped the entire Wii U library out from under it. There is also not a great NEW 1ST PARTY IP this gen yet, you can argue ARMS I guess. Nintendo course corrected with it's first party output, and made a console that was super easy to make games for, because simply put it does nothing really new to the formula. Yes, it detaches from a dock and you can take games on the go, but it doesn't offer anything really to change actual gameplay than Xbox or Sony really.

I mean you can throw out detaching the controllers and playing two player games on a single joycon, but that's rather limited, and few games actually use it nor is it really all that appealing. Most people would rather just use two pro controllers like any other normal console. I mean, who's gonna be that guy? Go ahead, I wanna see that guy who says having two people play on a single joycon is a superior experience.... I'll wait...

The online for the Switch is a joke, and I really don't see why they didn't just move Miiverse to it... Oh yeah, that's right they want you to PAY for online this gen. Miiverse was great, a social media place for Nintendo fans to all gather and share their experiences of their games that isn't nearly as cumbersome as all this crap they got now. You got stamps in Mario 3D World to show feats because you only got certain stamps after completing certain tasks, you could post videos of certain games like Mario Kart 8 or Smash, and screenshots of games that were graphically breathtaking like Xenoblade X. Now I know the Switch has the ability to share different things, but currently only in the game, yet again very inconvenient comparatively. Wii U had a mic built into the controller, Switch does not, Wii U had internet explorer day 1, Switch does not. Online wise the two don't even compare.

This brings us to the elephant in the room, the games. The Wii U was the turning point for Nintendo by headlining mature rated games, and start welcoming 3rd parties back not only with open arms, but open wallets. Resurrected Bayonetta and Fatal Frame, got Wonderful 101 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, got plenty of times exclusives (that were probably at one point supposed to be full exclusives) like Zombi U and Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge, and had some great 1st party offerings like, well, most of them (it is Nintendo after all). Also, probably their most significant (in terms of selling power) new IP in decades was created in the Wii U gen, Splatoon, not to mention the other two great Nintendo IP created like Wonderful 101 and Mario Maker not to mention LoZ BoTW was supposed to be a Wii U exclusive. Arlo can give whatever excuses he wants on why that doesn't count, but it does...Beyond that we could actually go a lot deeper and look at what that specific gen offered with the Nintendo 3DS (like the revitalization of Fire Emblem), but none of us have that time.

The Wii U was the best and the worst of Nintendo, I can happily admit that. The 3DS is the best and worst of Nintendo, likewise. It's a little awkward, it could be more powerful, use of the "gimmick" may hinder some experiences, some games don't even bother to utilize what makes these systems different, but they felt uniquely Nintendo love or hate it. It had a LOT more hits than it did misses, and you leave the gen grateful for the experience it had given. I'll easily look at my time with the gamepad as an overwhelmingly positive one.

How many people here can directly admit that the Switch is the best and worst of current gaming trends. Season passes, dlc expansions, paid online services, ports galore, and homogenized game experiences. How many people younger than 16 (or whatever the legal age to join the workforce is where you live) that won't be able to get all this dlc, or all those season passes, ect. How many won't be able to get their online services and therefore won't be allowed to play Splatoon 2, or Smash come September (I believe)? Progress?.... Sigh* Whatever....

What is there to say though? Metroid will more than likely be great, Bayo 3 I'm willing to bet will be a masterpiece, Fire Emblem will more than likely expand it's audience, a mainline Pokémon game built up on their "home console" is obviously gonna sell gangbusters, and every port they get, even though not as good as the other home console versions will be fine with Nintendo audiences because you can take it on the go because people do that I guess. Meanwhile the future for Nintendo.... really just seems like it's gonna be the same as the other 2 consoles, but less powerful again. That's not a bad thing, but it's not something that needs to be praised as the best thing ever. In a lot of ways it's not even as good of an approach as the Wii U.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
DialgaMarine said:

Smash is looking good for sure, but please don’t mention that casual Pokémon Go expansion crap. Switch isn’t getting a real Pokémon game until late 2019. 

But lets not disregard Pokemon Let's Go either. Its developed by Game Freak and directed by Junichi Masuda, one of the long-time care takers of the franchise as composer, producer, director, and programmer. Casual or not, its a big game and its not like its completely stripped of what it used to be. Heck, fans and non-fans alike have criticized the mainline games for staying mostly the same.

There's a surprising amount of things in the Let's Go games that just water the entire formula down too much for my tastes. 

1. No field battles.

This may wind up making the game terribly short. I welcome the removal of random encounters, and much prefer field-on enemies as popularized in Chrono Trigger. But throwing Pokeballs is no replacement for fighting wild Pokes. Which brings me to my next point... 

2. Capture mechanics from Pokemon Go.

Sorry, but throwing Pokeballs just isn't fun. One of the things that makes Poke'mon so much fun is building your Pokedex IMO. But if the core mechanic for doing so is bad, then that makes a lot of the game bad.

3. There's no breeding. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 25 June 2018

still own my wii u I also have a switch and i would love in the entire wii u first party library are ported to switch.. the wii u sucked

Azuren said:
The only thing that the existence of some of these games on the Wii U determines is that, with the exception of BotW due to a simultaneous release, none of those games were system sellers.

^ this.

Super Mario 3D world was a "decent" mario game, not a great one.
TBH I was dissapointed with it, after how great Galaxy I & II where.
Zelda Breath of the Wild came out basically just after the Wii U died....

The Wii U had only really 1 system seller... and that was Mario Cart 8.

Mnementh said:
DialgaMarine said:
I think the problem is that Sony and PS4 got a lot of criticism from Nintendo users about how they were putting out too many remastered early on in the gen, yet here we are and Nintendo is pretty much banking on Wii U ports after a decent first wave of exclusives. I mean, besides Kirby and the recent Mario Tennis, has Nintendo even put out a AAA Switch exclusive since SMO? Kindof disappointing, considering neither of games are quite up to par.

As always: neither Nintendo-, nor PS- or Xbox-fans are a homogenous group. So some Nintendo-fans might have painted the early PS4 as "Remasterstation" or the likes, but not all. And probably not the same that are pleased about the WiiU-ports.

exactly I was very happy for the ps4 ports and remasters as i did not own a ps3 and they let me experience games i missed

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Kai_Mao said:

But lets not disregard Pokemon Let's Go either. Its developed by Game Freak and directed by Junichi Masuda, one of the long-time care takers of the franchise as composer, producer, director, and programmer. Casual or not, its a big game and its not like its completely stripped of what it used to be. Heck, fans and non-fans alike have criticized the mainline games for staying mostly the same.

There's a surprising amount of things in the Let's Go games that just water the entire formula down too much for my tastes. 

1. No field battles.

This may wind up making the game terribly short. I welcome the removal of random encounters, and much prefer field-on enemies as popularized in Chrono Trigger. But throwing Pokeballs is no replacement for fighting wild Pokes. Which brings me to my next point... 

Sorry, but throwing Pokeballs just isn't fun. One of the things that makes Poke'mon so much fun is building your Pokedex IMO. But if the core mechanic for doing so is bad, then that makes a lot of the game bad. 

3. You can't evolve your starter Poke'mon. 

4. There's no breeding. 

I don't know. I've played Pokemon since the beginning and I don't think changing the capture mechanic is gonna completely flip Pokemon on its way side. It's different. If its not meant for you, its not meant for you. Doesn't mean the game is going to be bad. We haven't even played the game yet.

You can still get another Pikachu and I'm sure there will be an opportunity to get another Eevee one way or another.

Kai_Mao said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

1. No field battles.

3. You can't evolve your starter Poke'mon. 

4. There's no breeding. 

I don't know. I've played Pokemon since the beginning and I don't think changing the capture mechanic is gonna completely flip Pokemon on its way side. It's different. If its not meant for you, its not meant for you. Doesn't mean the game is going to be bad. We haven't even played the game yet.

You can still get another Pikachu and I'm sure there will be an opportunity to get another Eevee one way or another.

Yeah that's true. I'll take that part out then. 

So essentially there are people out there that are now using the game-library of a Console they slammed for years for "heving No games" to make the Switch look worst. Some people are dumb

The real hypocrisy is how he believes these are the only games of note of the Wii U's 4 years. Where's Pikmin 3, where's Wooly World, where's Color Splash, where's Tokyo Mirage Sessions, where's Fatal Frame 5, Star Fox Zero ( I could go on, but why, you get the point)?

As a Wii U and Switch owner, I don’t feel slighted or screwed by Nintendo or anything. The Wii U just didn’t take off like they hoped it would. While marketing was a problem, people have said it’s still an undesirable product nonetheless because some had issues with the game pad and were confused on what difference it made to gameplay. The game pad can’t go too far from the console in order to use TV mode. Heck, Nintendo even dropped the promise of using two gamepads, which would’ve been interesting.

With the Switch, it immediately hooked for me. If someone is using the TV and I’m in my room, I can use the Switch’s handheld or table top modes to play. It’s more intuitive personally. I’ve seen and heard people bring it on train rides or airplanes and just play. It works for me, especially since I don’t have time to sit down and play as I used to. Play a half hour here and there and I’m good for the day. That’s why they marketed it towards young adults and it shows based on their demographic chart (most Switch owners are 18-34 years old).

I loved the Wii U for what it is, but I think the Switch has a lot of promise. Of course it’s not perfect but eventually, Nintendo will add more features and content over time.