By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Arlo - Addressing the Alleged Switch/Wii U Hypocrisy

Do you think the people praising the Switch's library are hypocrites for not praising/not buying the Wii U's library?

Nah, the Wii U Sucks. 23 58.97%

HYPOCRITES! Justice for the Wii U! 16 41.03%

Total:39

The meme image at the start of Arlo's video compares two years of Switch with over 5 years of Wii U. It's missing, Octopath, and Valkyria Chronicles 4. In fact it completely glazes over the fact that Switch's 3rd party support completely blows Wii U's 3rd party support out of the water. Then it's comparing no new Zelda game for almost the Wii U's entire lifespan, with launching with a Zelda. And 3D World simply doesn't compare to Odyssey. 3D World was a lazy phoned in 2D Mario game that belonged on the 3DS, not the Wii U. Odyssey on the other hand is an ambitious dream of a game. 

Edit: Not done with the video yet, but I just noticed that Xenoblade X, Xenoblade 2,, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions were completely missing from the meme image as well. Whoever made it simply didn't know their games. 

Arlo is usually right, though, so I'll edit this after I finish watching the video.

Edit: Ok I'm done. Arlo's many points were all correct. He had some of the same points as I did. His idea of the Switch being portable making it more valuable was very good. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 25 June 2018

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
The meme image at the start of Arlo's video compares two years of Switch with over 5 years of Wii U.

Arlo is usually right, though, so I'll edit this after I finish watching the video.

You should change your signature, it doesn't make any sense. Smash isn't "internally developped" by Nintendo

The hard truth WiiU haters have to face is that 2014 was an incredible year for WiiU 1st party releases - easily better than 2018 on the Switch right now

a NEW Donkey Kong

a NEW Mario Kart

E3 reveal of Splatoon

a NEW Hyrule Warriors

a NEW Bayonetta 2

a NEW Smash Bros

a NEW Captain Toad

All this AFTER a holiday year where we got an HD Zelda remake, a 3D Mario, TW101, Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed, Batman, and Call of Duty.

Many of these are on Switch now, but they're not new... As a WiiU owner who owned and played all these games on WiiU - Switch's 2018 lineup lacks some ambition. It needs more genuinely new games, not ports. More recent AAA ports that arrive day and date (which actually really happened for these said 2013 holiday WiiU AAA games).

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

SKMBlake said:
DialgaMarine said:
I think the problem is that Sony and PS4 got a lot of criticism from Nintendo users about how they were putting out too many remastered early on in the gen, yet here we are and Nintendo is pretty much banking on Wii U ports after a decent first wave of exclusives. I mean, besides Kirby and the recent Mario Tennis, has Nintendo even put out a AAA Switch exclusive since SMO? Kindof disappointing, considering neither of games are quite up to par.

Yeah but how many consoles have 2 97/100 metacritic games in their first year ? Or even per year ? Pokémon and Smash will be 2018 AAA titles. I do not expect them to hit the 97/100 mark but still, 2 big games every year is something, especially with a lot of great smaller games. And I'm sorry but "already released on Wii U" doesn't make a game bad or not worth playing.

How many other IPs have the advantage of 30 years of nostalgia? I've learned not to trust review scores on Mario or Zelda games, because even if they were bad (*coughSkywardSwordcoughcough*) they're still going to get great scores for fear of crucification. And that's not even something without evidence, as we saw what happened when Jimquisition gave a review on BotW. And while fan backlash against middling reviews isn't exclusive to Nintendo IPs, dammit it was a whole lot more intense when Zelda got a 7 than when God of War got one.

I have no doubt that Smash and Pokemon are going to rock the industry, though. Smash will probably review an MC of 85-94, but Pokemon will likely suffer from the casual aspects and get an 82-87.

A game being on the Wii U matters significantly less than it being on XB360 or PS3. It's harder to expect someone to rebuy TLOU when it sold gangbusters on a system with 80m+ users. But the Wii U didn't even break 15m. It has less than an eighth of the people who bought PS3/XB360, so people are significantly less likely to have played Mario Kart 8 than, say, Prototype. So it's not that Nintendo fans are hypocrites, it's that new and returning Nintendo fans are getting a chance to try out great games that they missed.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

This was a meme?

Around the Network

I didn't know that was a thing.

Regardless, I don't even know what this 'WiiU' that you speak of is.

I love the Wii U but I agree that it is by no means at the same level as the Switch. If we were to speak about gimmicks, the Switch's portability works better, is more useful, and feels less tacked on than the Wii U's GamePad. The Switch does not force you to go one way or another, and its portability does not get in the way of the quality of the games whatsoever. The Switch is a good console with a good, understandable gimmick that has mass appeal.

The Wii U GamePad, on the other hand, was completely unnecessary. Nintendo forced us to use it with the system - I wouldn't even know how to access the main menu without it. I'm forced to pick up this bulky piece of plastic to click on my game just to put it down and pick up the Pro controller. And because the GamePad was mandatory developers were forced to implement tacked on GamePad functionalities that were either half-assed or actively made the game . I'm looking at you, Star Fox Zero.

I'd forgive the GamePad if it actually delivered on the different gameplay experiences that Nintendo promised. I cannot think of a single heavy hitter that used the GamePad in unique incentivising ways. Nintendo Land was a short-lived experience, Pikmin 3 was better using the Wii pointer, Mario Kart 8 didn't need it at all, nor did Smash Bros., Bayonetta, Mario 3D World, the Wind Waker HD, Xenoblade X, and so on.

The worst sin Nintendo committed was not releasing Breath of the Wild for the Wii U sooner, porting it on the Switch, and taking away GamePad functionality for the Wii U. This game is the reason I bought the Wii U! Hell, I bought it on the Wii U instead of the Switch out of protest - just so my Wii U wouldn't feel like useless piece of plastic.

I'm gonna leave off with the fact that I love my Wii U. I enjoyed having maps and what not on the GamePad, and the few games that made use of it in unique ways were genius. A few games is not enough for mass appeal, though, and I'll be the first to admit that I gave the Wii U the benefit of the doubt because I'm unapologetically a Nintendo bitch.

I don't even want to watch this video, no time for Nintendo fanboys, but "One Kirby game is a boring spinoff and the other is an actual is a main-series title". Which game is the boring spinoff? The Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is actually a very interesting game, the Switch game on the other hand is a huge pile of garbage, no matter how "main" it is.

And yes, the Wii U library was actually better at first because of the third party support it had and some good first party support like Mario Kart and Donkey Kong. Switch only has 2 great games: Mario Odyssey and BotW. It is more than Wii U had in its whole life, but it's still only that, two great games, all the others are average at best. The thing about the Switch is the novelty and those two games, Wii U was a stupid concept.

Warned - PwerlvlAmy

Last edited by PwerlvlAmy - on 25 June 2018

Azuren said:
SKMBlake said:

Yeah but how many consoles have 2 97/100 metacritic games in their first year ? Or even per year ? Pokémon and Smash will be 2018 AAA titles. I do not expect them to hit the 97/100 mark but still, 2 big games every year is something, especially with a lot of great smaller games. And I'm sorry but "already released on Wii U" doesn't make a game bad or not worth playing.

How many other IPs have the advantage of 30 years of nostalgia? I've learned not to trust review scores on Mario or Zelda games, because even if they were bad (*coughSkywardSwordcoughcough*) they're still going to get great scores for fear of crucification. And that's not even something without evidence, as we saw what happened when Jimquisition gave a review on BotW. And while fan backlash against middling reviews isn't exclusive to Nintendo IPs, dammit it was a whole lot more intense when Zelda got a 7 than when God of War got one.

I don't believe in the "nostalgia" biaisis. BOTW and Super Mario Odyssey are two masterpieces, and the latter quickly became my favourite game of all time. And I'm saying it as a Sony fanboy.

And the Jimquisition case was special, his 7 was the reason why Zelda went from 98/100 to 97/100. 

All I can say is, as a previous Wii U owner, Switch has nothing special to offer. Not now and apparently also not in 2018 after this year's terrible E3 presentation. 2 or 3 quality games in 2 years full with full priced ports and unknown indie shovelware does not justify its current price. Besides a lacking line up, it there's still no internet browser or Netflix or Spotify which would be a great fit.