By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Regarding Switch third party support: Developers don't care about power

I'm pretty sure the problem isn't power, but architecture. The Wii U lost its 3rd party support around the time the x86-based PS4/Xbox One came out. Settings can be scaled down. Just look at how GTA V can run on a modest Core 2 Duo rig, yet have plenty of options for higher specs. Porting to ARM or PowerPC, on the other hand, might require some work. Just look at how much PC ports have gotten better since the 8th gen. Nintendo at least avoided a dead architecture like PowerPC this time, and smaller Indie devs seem more willing to deal with ARM, but not so much with a lot of AAA devs, so I doubt the problem's gonna be solved overnight.

Around the Network
Zach808 said:
I'm pretty sure the problem isn't power, but architecture. The Wii U lost its 3rd party support around the time the x86-based PS4/Xbox One came out. Settings can be scaled down. Just look at how GTA V can run on a modest Core 2 Duo rig, yet have plenty of options for higher specs. Porting to ARM or PowerPC, on the other hand, might require some work.

Porting GTA V to PowerPC? You know that Xbox 360 + PS3 were consoles with PowerPC architecture, don't you?

I'd say no single reason alone explain why Nintendo don't get more games. It's a sum of many reasons.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Megiddo said:

I mean, I'm sure FIFA 19 can hit a million on the Switch. That's still 10 million less than FIFA 18 on PS4 YTD and only ~5% of the total userbase (whereas FIFA is owned by ~20% of the PS4 userbase).

I'm not sure if you WANT to argue this way. As I showed with my list above, FIFA is kind of an outlier. The 11M are around 14% of the userbase of the PS4 (not 20% as you write, you should check your calculator). FIFA on Switch has a bit under 5%, as you write. But even on Xbox the attach rate of FIFA is much lower, only 8%. This is because FIFA has a regional strength in europe, which is also a regional strength for PS4 and is through advertising strongly associated with PS (believe me, I live in europe and see this).

But if you start with attach-rate-comparisons this is very dangerous for the stuff you try to argue, because someone could start to look ahead of your cherry-picked example of FIFA. Let's see: Skyrim sold to 3.7% of the userbase of the PS4, 4.5% of the userbase of the XBox One and 4.8% of the Switch-userbase. Minecraft:Story mode had 1% of the PS4-userbase, but 2% of the userbase of XB1 and Switch. Just Dance sold to 0.3% of PS4-owners, 0.4% of XB1-owners and 3.1% of Switch-owners. I really doubt that is what you want to point out, userbase-comparisons are tricky and cherry-picking one game that randomly matches what you want to say is in no way helpful for you.

You should back to the drawing board and rethink that argument.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I mean, yeah, it is. Skyrim is an extremely old game which had already been released on PS3/X360. I don't think Switch owners need to worry about whether or not there will be more Just Dance games on the platform or Minecraft games.

Perhaps I made the wrong assumption that people wanted AAA new titles being ported to the Switch? If people are satisfied by Skyrim, Just Dance, and Minecraft then there really isn't anything to complain about is there?

Around the Network

Reading through only the first page of this thread has convinced me that the Switch's power gap problem is larger than I thought and we may barely get any AAA multiplats until the Switch's successor. Seeing as DOOM and Wolfenstein 2 can run on the Switch, I figured the main reason we're not getting other multiplats is because they started (and finished) developing many of them long before the Switch proved to be a commercial success. It takes time to port games, so my guess was that by year 3 or 4 of the Switch's life, it would get the AAA games whose development wasn't too far gone by the time the Switch's sales figures became attractive to the developers

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

vivster said:

And I will continue to dismiss the Switch as yet another first party-centric Nintendo console, thank you. Probably because it is, as evidenced by the lack of pretty much every current gen multiplatform AAA game.

Do you think the big publishers ditch all the potential money on a successful platform like the Switch for fun? What is your reasoning for the lack of AAA games if it's apparently so easy to port to?

Switch was never going to get AAA multiplats. The 1 TF spec is actually double speed FP16. In Docked mode, it's ~500 GFLOPs, in undocked, it's a slightly better Wii U. At least that's what I heard on NeoGAF. It's just not powerful enough to run demanding games without significant changes. I'm still buying one anyway. Want to get into some Mario Odyssey action.

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos

MajorMalfunction said:
vivster said:

And I will continue to dismiss the Switch as yet another first party-centric Nintendo console, thank you. Probably because it is, as evidenced by the lack of pretty much every current gen multiplatform AAA game.

Do you think the big publishers ditch all the potential money on a successful platform like the Switch for fun? What is your reasoning for the lack of AAA games if it's apparently so easy to port to?

Switch was never going to get AAA multiplats. The 1 TF spec is actually double speed FP16. In Docked mode, it's ~500 GFLOPs, in undocked, it's a slightly better Wii U. At least that's what I heard on NeoGAF. It's just not powerful enough to run demanding games without significant changes. I'm still buying one anyway. Want to get into some Mario Odyssey action.

Ya anybody who thought Switch would get a majority of AAA 3rd party titles wasnt thinking clearly.

Switch is the successor to 3DS, Wii U and in many ways to Vita as well. Switch should get the consolidated support of these three devices which is a ton of small-medium sized titles in these categories:

Indie games

Japanese games

Kid/family games

Ports/remasters

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Mnementh said:
Megiddo said:

I mean, I'm sure FIFA 19 can hit a million on the Switch. That's still 10 million less than FIFA 18 on PS4 YTD and only ~5% of the total userbase (whereas FIFA is owned by ~20% of the PS4 userbase).

I'm not sure if you WANT to argue this way. As I showed with my list above, FIFA is kind of an outlier. The 11M are around 14% of the userbase of the PS4 (not 20% as you write, you should check your calculator). FIFA on Switch has a bit under 5%, as you write. But even on Xbox the attach rate of FIFA is much lower, only 8%. This is because FIFA has a regional strength in europe, which is also a regional strength for PS4 and is through advertising strongly associated with PS (believe me, I live in europe and see this).

But if you start with attach-rate-comparisons this is very dangerous for the stuff you try to argue, because someone could start to look ahead of your cherry-picked example of FIFA. Let's see: Skyrim sold to 3.7% of the userbase of the PS4, 4.5% of the userbase of the XBox One and 4.8% of the Switch-userbase. Minecraft:Story mode had 1% of the PS4-userbase, but 2% of the userbase of XB1 and Switch. Just Dance sold to 0.3% of PS4-owners, 0.4% of XB1-owners and 3.1% of Switch-owners. I really doubt that is what you want to point out, userbase-comparisons are tricky and cherry-picking one game that randomly matches what you want to say is in no way helpful for you.

Sure. And let's also ignore that usually the larger the userbase the smaller the attach ratio.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

Sure. And let's also ignore that usually the larger the userbase the smaller the attach ratio.

Are you reading what I wrote? Megiddo brought up the attach rate argument, but cherry picked the one example, there it is in favor of his argument. I am well aware that the attach rate is usually higher with lower user-base (because the user-base isn't that diverse) and I showed it for other games. And I said that the attach-rate is really not helping his point of view and he should rethink it. So why you attack my post, that actually shows that the userbase-argument is stupid?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]