By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sakurai calls DLCs these days a scam

justiceiro said:
What about that tournament mode promissed before the launch of it, should not be there alreadly by now?

They are still working on it, and it will be free. The replay/sharing was also not Day 1, and just came out as an update. Goes and shows you how much content is in the game and the team is still working on major things (thats not even DLC).

Sakurai is good for what is worth.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Cloudman said:

Here, it`s a matter of the timing of the release of the DLC rather than the pricing in itself. Games with dlc shortly after DLC does seem to be cutting content from the game vs dlc later on. It can make a game look incomplete when DLC is done in this way.

In the sense for smash, it doesn`t feel that way since the DLC is being released much later in the game`s release and the game itself contains enough to feel complete, and not the company cutting content to make extra money. And I say this feeling that the amoung they plan to change for future characters is too much and just as bad.

See, I don't feel that just because a particular form of DLC isn't cutting content out of the core game, that it suddenly means that it's good DLC. It's still a product with value placed on it, and as a product you're supposed to pay for, the pricing of this stuff is bullshit, especially when Mario Kart 8 is standing right next to it with what is an absolute steal value wise.

In MK8, you're getting what amounts to $30 worth of content for $12. It should cost at least twice what they're charging in MK8, yet Smash gets off charging 4x the value of a character. You know why can they get away with it? Because the first one was free if you bought both, so most people aren't taking notice. And that's as dirty as it gets to me.

Yeah, agree with you on your points. I guess it`s better than releasing it early on, day one DLC, or even as a pre-order bonus, but I agree it doesn`t make it much better. I think the content can be done well in this case, but the pricing is terrible. That`s the unsettling feeling I got when they announced Lucas for DLC. 20 dollars for 5 characters would be terrible and also guilty of taking too much money for a small about of content. They should make it much cheaper, or just announce a pack for a fair price. Hopefully they do one of those options.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Who determines what the amount of content in a game or in DLC is? What qualifies as bad dlc and good dlc?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

$4 per character is a little steep for me. I took Mew just because it was "free". I can't say I've ever played a fighting game that had characters as DLC (outside of PS Battle Royale) so I don't know what a typical price per fighter is.

The_Yoda said:
$4 per character is a little steep for me. I took Mew just because it was "free". I can't say I've ever played a fighting game that had characters as DLC (outside of PS Battle Royale) so I don't know what a typical price per fighter is.

They are usually around 5$ from all the examples I could find. As Sakurai said, a lot of work goes into making these characters (in all fighting games) so its not comparable to new characters in something like Mario Kart which are basically just models.

Around the Network
The_Yoda said:

Where can i get Mew playable at! Tell me :p

Mewtwo free if had Both games.... Now.....

SSBU/3DS  $3.99 per Character ($4.99 bundled or $2.50 each)   [Started with 51 playable characters i may add]

Blazblue CP: $7.99 per Character

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: $4.99 per DLC character

Injustice: $4.99 per character  (or 4 in season pass + 2 seperate dlc characters = ~$25)

Marvel vs Capcom 3: $4.99 per DLC character

Mortal Kombat 9: $4.99 per DLC character

Guilty Gear Xrd:  $7.99 

Cloudman said:

Yeah, agree with you on your points. I guess it`s better than releasing it early on, day one DLC, or even as a pre-order bonus, but I agree it doesn`t make it much better. I think the content can be done well in this case, but the pricing is terrible. That`s the unsettling feeling I got when they announced Lucas for DLC. 20 dollars for 5 characters would be terrible and also guilty of taking too much money for a small about of content. They should make it much cheaper, or just announce a pack for a fair price. Hopefully they do one of those options.

A well priced pack will do it. Every character should have come with an accompanying stage, so that's laughable right there. MK8 should be what they strive for. Let's say they end up with 10 DLC characters. It should be 10 characters, and 10 new stages to accompany them, and the Mii costumes for $15.

This is Capcom-level bullshit. Like Killer Instinct sold it's season 2 pass for $20, which consisted of 8 DLC characters, but Killer Instinct can do that because it's fucking free. I don't know how many characters they plan to release, but they seriously need to be transparent with all this from the offset. Mewtwo didn't even come with a stage or something. Just a plain, not even new, character for $4.

How Smash goes from having an insane amount of value for $60 to hemeraging the player for $4 is beyond me.

KLXVER said:
RolStoppable said:
Aren't they selling Mii costumes for SSB4? If yes, shouldn't Sakurai shut up?

I dont think so. Unless youre talking about Amiibos?

There is a package of Megaman costumes, SSB-shirts, cat-costume and so on for Mii-fighters in SSB sold as DLC.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Torillian said:
so the issue I have with the "it released so soon after release why wasn't it on the disc?" argument is that games are finished long before they actually come to print, and it would make sense to have some of the team working on additional content during that down time. There's simply no direct evidence that the DLC was ready before the fll game went to print and it was decided to be omitted for most of these games. I mean who's to say that Nintendo hadn't made all its DLC during the full development, decided to keep it out to sell it later, and then just waited longer than the companies everyone is accusing of being so evil?

Essentially I think he's speaking of day one DLC. If it's ready as day one DLC it likely could have been included in the game. After that, it seems, there are less issues with DLC. 

I'm generally inclined to agree actually. I'm not that big on DLC in any form to be honest, but I really don't like day one DLC. Although, some expansion DLC has been really good. 

As you stated, whether it's developed during initial development for the base game is really unknown except for those that are developing and publishing it. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

spemanig said:
Cloudman said:

A well priced pack will do it. Every character should have come with an accompanying stage, so that's laughable right there. MK8 should be what they strive for. Let's say they end up with 10 DLC characters. It should be 10 characters, and 10 new stages to accompany them, and the Mii costumes for $15.

This is Capcom-level bullshit. Like Killer Instinct sold it's season 2 pass for $20, which consisted of 8 DLC characters, but Killer Instinct can do that because it's fucking free. I don't know how many characters they plan to release, but they seriously need to be transparent with all this from the offset. Mewtwo didn't even come with a stage or something. Just a plain, not even new, character for $4.

How Smash goes from having an insane amount of value for $60 to hemeraging the player for $4 is beyond me.

Hello, look up^

Stop comparing it to SSB, and stop with the breakdown of $60 x amount of characters. If thats the case compare SSB characters with the other games. Also SSB3ds is $40, compare that with other games that are fighters (how many characters they have and their $60 price tag)

By that logic SSB should be $100-$160 game already

Edit: What are you talking about, MK8 has the same # of tracks as MK7 yet its $60. Rip off too right? :0