By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sakurai calls DLCs these days a scam

Mystro-Sama said:
teigaga said:
Isn't he charging for Lucas and Mewtwo?

And he gave Mewtwo early to those who bought both versions.

Some days earlier than others, but still months after the release of the game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Characters in a fighting game are more involved than a simple model, as you need to create a moveset for that character (or three for the case of something like Mortal Kombat X, which is something a lot of people don't get) and then balance that character with the rest of the game (hopefully).

For something like Mario Kart 8, you simply have a character model that doesn't really do much, so there's not a lot of work (at least, not as much) being put into it. So, that's why fighting game character DLCs are usually set at $4-5, which I feel is not that bad of a price. Hell, it's better than some companies who release a quest/side mission or two in action/adventure games for that price.

Mnementh said:
Mystro-Sama said:
teigaga said:
Isn't he charging for Lucas and Mewtwo?

And he gave Mewtwo early to those who bought both versions.

Some days earlier than others, but still months after the release of the game.

wait Mystro-Sama is complaining about that? Lord Arceus have mercy :o

A reward for purchasers for both games. I mean there were 2 choices to make, and he picked the correct one (well i should sy Reward one lol)

Scenario 1. Give Mewtwo out $4

Scenario 2. Give Mewtwo out $4... For Consumers that bought both, give thm it free as a gift

Cant see why someone has a problem with this, if i bought 1 version only i wouldn't be mad, its a nice nod for those that already paid extra!

sundin13 said:
The_Yoda said:
$4 per character is a little steep for me. I took Mew just because it was "free". I can't say I've ever played a fighting game that had characters as DLC (outside of PS Battle Royale) so I don't know what a typical price per fighter is.

They are usually around 5$ from all the examples I could find. As Sakurai said, a lot of work goes into making these characters (in all fighting games) so its not comparable to new characters in something like Mario Kart which are basically just models.

There is more balancing involved for a fighting character than for a racer, I do get that.  I am speaking from an ignorant position since I have never paid for extra fighters in a game before. It still seems steep, but who knows if The Boy wants them I'll likely shell out the cash for them.

Meh, I get it, Sakurai is old school (for one of the younger developers compared the other greats like Miyamoto and Kojima) in the sense he likes to pack his game with as much content as he and his team can put into titles. That is why games like the Smash Bros series, Kid Icarus and some his Kirby games are known as classics and filled with tons of stuff. Even after leaving Kirby, that franchise is still known in some of its best games to have a good number of extras.

DLC to him, especially the planned stuff feels like a cop out. I think most knew when Mewtwo was announced that was less a Sakurai thing and more Nintendo at large, which I would bet all the DLC characters and modes will probably wind up being. Its one of the reasons why I hope while he may never make another Smash Bros again, I hope he will do some other franchise the honor of making one its titles a buffet of entertainment.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
The_Yoda said:
$4 per character is a little steep for me. I took Mew just because it was "free". I can't say I've ever played a fighting game that had characters as DLC (outside of PS Battle Royale) so I don't know what a typical price per fighter is.

Where can i get Mew playable at! Tell me :p

Mewtwo free if had Both games.... Now.....

SSBU/3DS  $3.99 per Character ($4.99 bundled or $2.50 each)   [Started with 51 playable characters i may add]

Blazblue CP: $7.99 per Character

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: $4.99 per DLC character

Injustice: $4.99 per character  (or 4 in season pass + 2 seperate dlc characters = ~$25)

Marvel vs Capcom 3: $4.99 per DLC character

Mortal Kombat 9: $4.99 per DLC character

Guilty Gear Xrd:  $7.99 

Thanks for the info, it helps put it in perspective for me. My Fav fighters have always been the Tekken series so I've never been asked to shell out for more characters in that series.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

Apart from day 1 DLC, no DLC is ready at release. So where do we draw the line?

I draw the line at a game not releasing with enough content to justify a $60 purchase and launching with DLC.  I don't have a problem with content being made after the game is released considering there was enough content in the game at release.

Worth is relative. You might not think its worth $60, but others clearly do. For example I don't this Smash Bros Wii U is worth $60, no matter how many fighters it comes with. It's 100% subjective.

spemanig said:
Cloudman said:

Yeah, agree with you on your points. I guess it`s better than releasing it early on, day one DLC, or even as a pre-order bonus, but I agree it doesn`t make it much better. I think the content can be done well in this case, but the pricing is terrible. That`s the unsettling feeling I got when they announced Lucas for DLC. 20 dollars for 5 characters would be terrible and also guilty of taking too much money for a small about of content. They should make it much cheaper, or just announce a pack for a fair price. Hopefully they do one of those options.

A well priced pack will do it. Every character should have come with an accompanying stage, so that's laughable right there. MK8 should be what they strive for. Let's say they end up with 10 DLC characters. It should be 10 characters, and 10 new stages to accompany them, and the Mii costumes for $15.

This is Capcom-level bullshit. Like Killer Instinct sold it's season 2 pass for $20, which consisted of 8 DLC characters, but Killer Instinct can do that because it's fucking free. I don't know how many characters they plan to release, but they seriously need to be transparent with all this from the offset. Mewtwo didn't even come with a stage or something. Just a plain, not even new, character for $4.

How Smash goes from having an insane amount of value for $60 to hemeraging the player for $4 is beyond me.

I don`t know if KI`s structure is that good either to be honest. It sounds like you have to pay a lot to get the complete deal, and characters on their own are more expensive, at least based on info I found.

Idealy, packing characters and stages together would be the best option. I wish they would at least announce a pack like MK8 did. That was presented as an excellent deal. I guess it wouldn`t work for Smash if they want to `surprise` people with new characters and stages, although that would be kind of dumb. I feel maybe a pack will be possible once they release more characters and whatever they have planned, but I would hope they`d do it like MK8.

I guess considering how much work goes into making one character, 4 dollars is not too bad, but that price will build up a lot of characters are purchased seperately... As much as I`d hate to sort of devalue the work of the team, less than 4 dollars would be a better sell.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I bet the dumbasses citing lucas and mewtwo dont even own Smash. This guy put his life, literally his life, into this game. The final product was MORE than enough content. Lucas and mewtwo are just characters that were planned as DLC and not just shoe horned into the game. Sakurai is talking about games that make you pay for vital game functions that should have been implemented in the first place. If that doesnt fit the game that YOU like, then he probably isnt talking about it. Just listen for once. If theres one company that makes sure a game is finished, its them.

Ljink96 said:
I bet the dumbasses citing lucas and mewtwo dont even own Smash. This guy put his life, literally his life, into this game. The final product was MORE than enough content. Lucas and mewtwo are just characters that were planned as DLC and not just shoe horned into the game. Sakurai is talking about games that make you pay for vital game functions that should have been implemented in the first place. If that doesnt fit the game that YOU like, then he probably isnt talking about it. Just listen for once. If theres one company that makes sure a game is finished, its them.

As much as I agree with you, I try to put my personal opinions about Sakurai aside when thinking about the value of this DLC...and its still a pretty darn good value :3