By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sakurai calls DLCs these days a scam

Samus Aran said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Samus Aran said:

And Nintendo would have made even more money of Melee if it was possible to release DLC for it.

There's quite a big hole in your logic if you think Melee became the most succesful Smash Bros. game because it had no DLC.

Besides, I'm sure Brawl sold more anyway.

I'm pretty sure 7 million units sold on a console that has about 20 million units in the wild is more successful than a game that sold 12 million units on a console that has 100 million units in the wild. 

Melee was much popular in it's day and was more beloved... zero DLC.

No, bigger userbase doesn't mean better sales. These are games that sell to a particular crowd: Nintendo fans that usually buy every new Nintendo console. The Wii brought in a lot of new non-Nintendo fans that didn't give a shit about a fan-service game like Smash.

My point is that attach rates are the only real gauge for game approval. If you look at the franchise as a whole, Melee has the highest attach rate of them all by a large margin. 

Around the Network

The DLC borders on, what, $40+ for skins, a few stages, and a few characters? Sakurai really should shut it. He has some of the worst, most overpriced DLC out there right now.

AlfredoTurkey said:

I'm pretty sure 7 million units sold on a console that has about 20 million units in the wild is more successful than a game that sold 12 million units on a console that has 100 million units in the wild. 

No. No. Just no. 12 million sales will always be a bigger success than 7 million as long as the budget is similar, regardless of userbase.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Samus Aran said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Samus Aran said:

And Nintendo would have made even more money of Melee if it was possible to release DLC for it.

There's quite a big hole in your logic if you think Melee became the most succesful Smash Bros. game because it had no DLC.

Besides, I'm sure Brawl sold more anyway.

Melee was much popular in it's day and was more beloved... zero DLC.

No, bigger userbase doesn't mean better sales. These are games that sell to a particular crowd: Nintendo fans that usually buy every new Nintendo console. The Wii brought in a lot of new non-Nintendo fans that didn't give a shit about a fan-service game like Smash.

My point is that attach rates are the only real gauge for game approval. If you look at the franchise as a whole, Melee has the highest attach rate of them all by a large margin. 

So SM3DW has a bigger rate of fan approval than SMG, gotcha.