By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sakurai calls DLCs these days a scam

DonFerrari said:
The_Yoda said:

Thanks for the link. Not very familiar with PS4's twitch, did Sony pull it from use too?

Sony reinforced monitoring and banning for people doing unsuitable things on it, but didn't completely axed it like Nintendo. But it wasn't ninty fault that idiots used their app for criminal activity, but they have an image to uphold. Losing features because of Jack asses is screwed up.

Totaly agree.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
ikki5 said:
This is a little hypocritical... Expensive DLC on his game that he created.

This isn't expensive dlc though.

It's in line with other fighting games, even slightly cheaper in most cases.

it is expensive DLC. You get skins for characters in which only you can see as you cannot take the Mii fighters online and then you pay $5 for Mewtwo, keep in mind that the cost of all the DLC for smash is about the price you'd pay for both Mario Kart DLC packs.

spemanig said:
Charging $4 for one character in a $60 party brawler is a "scam," Sakurai. Let's not act like your DLC is above scum. We'll see how it is when all the DLC is out. Right now, we potentially know of at least five DLC characters, Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, and one fan chosen fighter. If we assume that each fighter is $4 like with Mewtwo, you're paying $20 for only FIVE characters in a game where you're paying $60 for like 50. These characters are barely worth $1 a pop, let alone $4.

"But oh, it's sacred Smash DLC! Mario Kart 8 handled DLC fantastic - must mean that every Nintendo game is the same!" /s

This kind of stuff annoys me a little, since it shows a lack of understanding on how pricing works.  The reason games are $60 at retail isn't because they are counting up what's in the game and determining how much each part is worth.  The pricing of games (and of many other entertainment products) is determined by the volume of sales they expect, plus several other factors, so they can make a profit.  The same will apply to DLC.  DLC will inevitably have an inflated price since DLC sales volume is going to be, by nature, significantly lower than the actual game sales.  This means, in order to make a profit, they would need to give a higher price point to off-set costs while still being affordable.  

Understand now why DLC characters aren't like $0.50 each?

MDMAlliance said:

This kind of stuff annoys me a little, since it shows a lack of understanding on how pricing works.  The reason games are $60 at retail isn't because they are counting up what's in the game and determining how much each part is worth.  The pricing of games (and of many other entertainment products) is determined by the volume of sales they expect, plus several other factors, so they can make a profit.  The same will apply to DLC.  DLC will inevitably have an inflated price since DLC sales volume is going to be, by nature, significantly lower than the actual game sales.  This means, in order to make a profit, they would need to give a higher price point to off-set costs while still being affordable.  

It's not the consumer's job to worry how pricing works. It's their job to recongnize the product's value proposition, and weak with this DLC precisely because of the factors you're debating. It doesn't matter "how hard it is to make" or "how much profit they will make" to the consumer. They've already given the characters value when they put multiple of them in a game with a set overhead value. I don't lack understanding; I lack sympathy.

And the $60 pricing standard has nothing to do with volume of sales. It exists solely because it's the highest chargable price that people are willing to pay upfront for a game.

ikki5 said:
Samus Aran said:
ikki5 said:
This is a little hypocritical... Expensive DLC on his game that he created.

it is expensive DLC. You get skins for characters in which only you can see as you cannot take the Mii fighters online and then you pay $5 for Mewtwo, keep in mind that the cost of all the DLC for smash is about the price you'd pay for both Mario Kart DLC packs.

It's $3.99 and that's not expensive at all.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
MDMAlliance said:

It's not the consumer's job to worry how pricing works. It's their job to recongnize the product's value proposition, and weak with this DLC precisely because of the factors you're debating. It doesn't matter "how hard it is to make" or "how much profit they will make" to the consumer. They've already given the characters value when they put multiple of them in a game with a set overhead value. I don't lack understanding; I lack sympathy.

And the $60 pricing standard has nothing to do with volume of sales. It exists solely because it's the highest chargable price that people are willing to pay upfront for a game.

Except when you call it a scam, it has everything to do with how pricing works.  

Also, not all games follow the $60 MSRP, and saying it solely exists for being the highest chargable price is incorrect.  Obviously there are plenty of games that do not require $60 to make a profit, but it is also very clear that $60 does NOT cover the cost of the game and that how much it costs to make the game DEFINITELY influences how much the standard price for a game will be.  $60 also is NOT the highest chargable price people are willing to pay upfront for a game.  It's actually higher than that when you consider the current market, but it ALSO is much lower than that when you try to include everyone.

Samus Aran said:
ikki5 said:
Samus Aran said:

It's $3.99 and that's not expensive at all.

I said the cost of ALL the DLC and yes, the Skins are expensive for what they are. They are a cosmetic for you and you only... and I guess your local friends/family. They are expensive.

ikki5 said:

I said the cost of ALL the DLC and yes, the Skins are expensive for what they are. They are a cosmetic for you and you only... and I guess your local friends/family. They are expensive.

Then don't buy it, it's just a skin.

Why do people compare 1 game with the other for DLC price (especially from Different Genres)? Comparison between MK8~SSB always seems a bit silly.

Anybody could pick out the best and compare it to the average. Because Nintendo Has a Fantastic Offer on MK8 DLC doesn't mean everything else has to be exactly the same.

Its more ironic when you compare the Character DLC for SSB with other fighters and its actually the cheapest of them all. And lol to those that think DLC characters should of been in the game Day 1 (or shouldnt be charged). We get 50+ Characters Day 1 with literally only 2 clones and people want to complain :-/

Samus Aran said:
ikki5 said:

Then don't buy it, it's just a skin.

I'm not, I don't pay for useless DLC.