By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sakurai calls DLCs these days a scam

RolStoppable said:
Aren't they selling Mii costumes for SSB4? If yes, shouldn't Sakurai shut up?

Sure, but they are completely cosmetic items that aren't necessary to enjoy the game itself. I don't use mii fighter, so I won't buy the costumes. That simple.

Character DLC is a bit expensive, but when looking at the MASSIVE content in the game at launch; 52 characters, 47 maps, multiple game modes, tons of unlockables, etc; then it's not hard to see that it's literally ADDITIONAL content, not content that was cut and just sold later. In comparison, he's talking about games that launch with DLC on day 1, with content that should have been there from the start, simply because they're THERE. 

Fire Emblem did dlc fairly poorly, MK8 did it amazingly,  and smash does it decently; don't like the items? No prob, they won't affect your enjoyment. Don't like the dlc characters? No need to buy them, you can still fight against them online. 

If maps are paid dlc, then yes, he's dividing the comunity and making the game less enjoyable than those that bought them. Maps should never be paid. 

I <3 Classic Platformers!

Multi-console Owner FTW

Around the Network
Sakurai said:

After all, a game should be 100% at the time of release, and I would be livid if it were split up and sold in pieces.

If only Sakurai was working on Fire Emblem... If only.

spemanig said:
Charging $4 for one character in a $60 party brawler is a "scam," Sakurai. Let's not act like your DLC is above scum. We'll see how it is when all the DLC is out. Right now, we potentially know of at least five DLC characters, Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, and one fan chosen fighter. If we assume that each fighter is $4 like with Mewtwo, you're paying $20 for only FIVE characters in a game where you're paying $60 for like 50. These characters are barely worth $1 a pop, let alone $4.

"But oh, it's sacred Smash DLC! Mario Kart 8 handled DLC fantastic - must mean that every Nintendo game is the same!" /s

Thats the exactly the point I was trying make although I didn't articulate it as well as you did. 

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

What about that tournament mode promissed before the launch of it, should not be there alreadly by now?

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

I just wanted to add that I believe Sakurai is primarily referring to on-disc DLC and Day 1 DLC when it comes to DLC being a scam.

Keep in mind that all of these new characters and content including Mewtwo and Lucas are pretty post-development stuff,.

It's not like these characters were on-disc, and they made us pay just so they could milk more money out of us.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
I must be really lucky because I've never been burned or put off by DLC. In-fact I've really enjoyed all my DLC (Mass Effect 2/3, DAI, MK8, Battlefield 4, FFS Ghosts, Borderlands, Dirt 3, Arkham City etc). Apart from forums I've never heard any of my friends IRL even mention DLC, let alone complain about it.

I recently bought Mortal Kombat X and I don't have have access to Tremor, Tanya or the Predator and you know what? I. Don't. Care. I heard about the paid fatalities and I. Don't. Care. It will take a while for me to master all the base characters along with all their variations. If, and that's a big if, I decide to buy the DLC it'll be dirt cheap by then.

In previous gens DLC content would be reserved for the sequels. Unless people would rather every single game gets delayed so that it can be "complete" I don't see the harm in DLC assuming its not ridiculously overpriced and it doesn't affect the balance of the game in any way.

Mass Effect DLC actually bugged me a bit. Its not that the games didn't feel worth $60, they definitely were. Just that narrative wise a lot of the DLC was more relevant then half of the missions the had you do in the $60 game. From a planning perspective Shadow Broker from ME2 and Laviathan from Me3 should have been planned to be in the game from day 1 in expense of the a lot of the trivial BS you actually run around and do. Especially Laviathan, it essentially gives history on the reapers which something they have you wondering throughout the whole trilogy, it shouldn't have been DLC IMO

But back to the point, I generally agree in terms of value. I can't remember the last game I got that didn't feel finished or wasn't worth its asking price. Even in terms of backlash, Evolve is the only game in recent memory where I recall people complaining that there wasn't enough in game content. Often people simply complain about there being DLC not about the $60 game itself being unfinished. Content wise that is, quality wise is another question *cough* Assassins Creed Unity, Halo MCC *Cough*

Cloudman said:

Here, it`s a matter of the timing of the release of the DLC rather than the pricing in itself. Games with dlc shortly after DLC does seem to be cutting content from the game vs dlc later on. It can make a game look incomplete when DLC is done in this way.

In the sense for smash, it doesn`t feel that way since the DLC is being released much later in the game`s release and the game itself contains enough to feel complete, and not the company cutting content to make extra money. And I say this feeling that the amoung they plan to change for future characters is too much and just as bad.

See, I don't feel that just because a particular form of DLC isn't cutting content out of the core game, that it suddenly means that it's good DLC. It's still a product with value placed on it, and as a product you're supposed to pay for, the pricing of this stuff is bullshit, especially when Mario Kart 8 is standing right next to it with what is an absolute steal value wise.

In MK8, you're getting what amounts to $30 worth of content for $12. It should cost at least twice what they're charging in MK8, yet Smash gets off charging 4x the value of a character. You know why can they get away with it? Because the first one was free if you bought both, so most people aren't taking notice. And that's as dirty as it gets to me.

BaldrSkies said:
Sakurai said:

After all, a game should be 100% at the time of release, and I would be livid if it were split up and sold in pieces.

If only Sakurai was working on Fire Emblem... If only.

Lol! Will be the first to admit Awakening dlc was horrible (pricing), dont think we should judge the new FE game yet, but i guess i cant defend it as much as i like to!

Only thing i will say is the content in FE for each game has about the same as Awakening, i dont see the big deal at all for seperate games

SubiyaCryolite said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I draw the line at a game not releasing with enough content to justify a $60 purchase and launching with DLC.  I don't have a problem with content being made after the game is released considering there was enough content in the game at release.

That's kind of rare no?

Well Evolve just did it.

alternine said:
spemanig said:

Thats the exactly the point I was trying make although I didn't articulate it as well as you did. 

Did you look up other DLC in comparison? (Figting games).

Also since you dont play ssb i'll say it to you now, the game has a s*** ton of content with a ton of characters to play for a measly $60.