By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sakurai calls DLCs these days a scam

teigaga said:
Isn't he charging for Lucas and Mewtwo?

And he gave Mewtwo early to those who bought both versions.

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I don't see the problem?  They weren't ready at release.  Mewtwo didn't play like he did in brawl, they basically did a complete overhaul on him so it needed more time.

Apart from day 1 DLC, no DLC is ready at release. So where do we draw the line?

I draw the line at a game not releasing with enough content to justify a $60 purchase and launching with DLC.  I don't have a problem with content being made after the game is released considering there was enough content in the game at release.

Charging $4 for one character in a $60 party brawler is a "scam," Sakurai. Let's not act like your DLC is above scum. We'll see how it is when all the DLC is out. Right now, we potentially know of at least five DLC characters, Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, and one fan chosen fighter. If we assume that each fighter is $4 like with Mewtwo, you're paying $20 for only FIVE characters in a game where you're paying $60 for like 50. These characters are barely worth $1 a pop, let alone $4.

"But oh, it's sacred Smash DLC! Mario Kart 8 handled DLC fantastic - must mean that every Nintendo game is the same!" /s

I think there is a pretty big difference between bad DLC and an actual scam, guys. Something being overpriced compared to its perceived value is not a scam. Poorly designed content is not a scam. Hell, Fire Emblem: Awakening is the perfect example as it meets both of those criteria. Terrible DLC. But a scam? No, not at all.

spemanig said:
Charging $4 for one character in a $60 party brawler is a "scam," Sakurai. Let's not act like your DLC is above scum. We'll see how it is when all the DLC is out. Right now, we potentially know of at least five DLC characters, Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, and one fan chosen fighter. If we assume that each fighter is $4 like with Mewtwo, you're paying $20 for only FIVE characters in a game where you're paying $60 for like 50. These characters are barely worth $1 a pop, let alone $4.

"But oh, it's sacred Smash DLC! Mario Kart 8 handled DLC fantastic - must mean that every Nintendo game is the same!" /s

Do you need anyone to argue with you or do you have it covered yourself...?

Around the Network
spemanig said:

Tell that to all fighting game DLC. Many people are alright with $4 per character rather than $0 no character after game is launched. 

Your looking at it the wrong way too, but i wont get into that.

Game is huge as it is...

Edit: Srry to say this but by going by all people buying dlc/playing SSB/other fighting games, SSB is actually one of the cheapest DLC in terms of per character for a fighter (brawler, whatever).

You and i seen maybe 2 or 3 more out of hundreds dont like the pricng... Srry though :-/

KingdomHeartsFan said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

Apart from day 1 DLC, no DLC is ready at release. So where do we draw the line?

I draw the line at a game not releasing with enough content to justify a $60 purchase and launching with DLC.  I don't have a problem with content being made after the game is released considering there was enough content in the game at release.

That's kind of rare no?

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

KLXVER said:

Do you need anyone to argue with you or do you have it covered yourself...?

Sometimes it's better for everyone if I'm just left to argue with myself...

the difference between good and bad DLC:
GOOD:
-based on fan requests
-relatively cheap
-not originally planned
-makes the game better
BAD:
-used to finish an incomplete game
-more expensive than the game itself
-planned during development
-season passes

people wanted Mewtwo and Lucas back so Sakurai gave us Mewtwo and Lucas back. as for the Mii costumes they are less than $1 each and bundled they are like $5.

in a AAA game like Destiny, DLC became the focal point of the game. remember Evolve and how it have hundreds of dollars worth of useless skins not even included in the season passes?

DLC should be what it stands for--- "Downloadable content"--- not "pay more for what you should already have"

spemanig said:

Here, it`s a matter of the timing of the release of the DLC rather than the pricing in itself. Games with dlc shortly after DLC does seem to be cutting content from the game vs dlc later on. It can make a game look incomplete when DLC is done in this way.

In the sense for smash, it doesn`t feel that way since the DLC is being released much later in the game`s release and the game itself contains enough to feel complete, and not the company cutting content to make extra money. And I say this feeling that the amoung they plan to change for future characters is too much and just as bad.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread