By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are games so boring now-a-days?

Phronesis said:

Games are not boring nowadays, YOU are bored of recent games, which is an entirely different matter.

That's pretty much what I wanted to say.. The thread could have ended with this first reply..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

Nostalgia is a hell of a thing.

I feel like that every few years. Like others have Said, You Need to take a Break. In the gamecube era I didn't Play Games for two whole years. But after that, I could really enjoy Gaming once more.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

DarthMetalliCube said:

My theories, as a gamer of 25 or so years:

- More time, money, and effort deticated to cinematics, horsepower, story, and other non-gaming fluff

- More laziness from developers, especially those that know many deticated fans and easilly impressional gamers out there will buy their already established franchise regardless - see Madden, Call of Duty, Halo, GT, MGS, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, (though the last two have changed somewhat lately)

- More linearity in games (sort of relates to the first point because linearity generally is created to allow for more horsepower and flashy effects in games)

- Increasing pressure and conformity from the industry, which is taking on more of a souless machine - like quality (pressure from publishers to conform and make games a certain way, increasing development costs, deadlines, etc..)

- Hipster and artsy-fartsy type devs who feel that games are more "art" than well, "games" and thus use games as a meduim to convey messages, creativity, and other artistic qualities as opposed to the technicallities of simply making a fun and engaging game.

I have found that many modern games feel like more of a chore than a fun experience. There was a time when I use to just force myself to plow through them, because I felt they would get better, or I felt as a deticated gamer I *should* like said game. But I finally realized - maybe because I've grown older and less patient - that there's no point in playing a game that I don't find very fun. Now I simply toss the game aside and sell it back if I don't like it. I don't kid myself anymore. This way I can continue to cycle through games until I find the ones I actually enjoy, and stick with them. There are very few these days, but it's great when it happens.. Now I mostly just stick with retro games I've always enjoyed, or online multiplayer. Most modern single player games don't do it for me these days, the few that I like tend to be very open world sandbox type games, particularly those that cut the cutscene/tutorial/dialouge fluff that has contributed in making games more boring.

Nice post.

Either take a break or try play a game that you normally wouldn't expect to be good. For example, I really wasn't expecting much when I played The Walking Dead Season 1 but it ended up blowing my mind. I now consider it to be one of the best games of all time. I've had similar experiences with games like Dirt 2, Mass Effect 2 and Tomb Raider 2013.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network

They aren't.

Hmm, pie.

Kaizar said:

You should play games like;

AR Games

Seriously?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I've never got bored of games since I only play about 40 minutes per day.

Anyways, if you are getting bored of the games you are playing, you can try playing games of a genre that you haven't explored. I never knew how much I could enjoy an RPG or a rhythm game until I played Xenoblade and Rhythm Heaven.

Well, I'm tempted by the fact that the Law of Decreasing (and) Marginal Returns exists, but this post sums up quite a lot, really:

DarthMetalliCube said:

My theories, as a gamer of 25 or so years:

- More time, money, and effort deticated to cinematics, horsepower, story, and other non-gaming fluff

- More laziness from developers, especially those that know many deticated fans and easilly impressional gamers out there will buy their already established franchise regardless - see Madden, Call of Duty, Halo, GT, MGS, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, (though the last two have changed somewhat lately)

- More linearity in games (sort of relates to the first point because linearity generally is created to allow for more horsepower and flashy effects in games)

- Increasing pressure and conformity from the industry, which is taking on more of a souless machine - like quality (pressure from publishers to conform and make games a certain way, increasing development costs, deadlines, etc..)

- Hipster and artsy-fartsy type devs who feel that games are more "art" than well, "games" and thus use games as a meduim to convey messages, creativity, and other artistic qualities as opposed to the technicallities of simply making a fun and engaging game.

I have found that many modern games feel like more of a chore than a fun experience. There was a time when I use to just force myself to plow through them, because I felt they would get better, or I felt as a deticated gamer I *should* like said game. But I finally realized - maybe because I've grown older and less patient - that there's no point in playing a game that I don't find very fun. Now I simply toss the game aside and sell it back if I don't like it. I don't kid myself anymore. This way I can continue to cycle through games until I find the ones I actually enjoy, and stick with them. There are very few these days, but it's great when it happens.. Now I mostly just stick with retro games I've always enjoyed, or online multiplayer. Most modern single player games don't do it for me these days, the few that I like tend to be very open world sandbox type games, particularly those that cut the cutscene/tutorial/dialouge fluff that has contributed in making games more boring.

Then, I realize that I've only actively gotten back into gaming this year...

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Two things are the cause for this.

Number 1: Drones

Number 2: Money

The reason is because people will see the name of a game that used to be great and they will just go out and buy. These are the drones. Games are recycled so much nowadays by everyone in the business. They know that they can just re-skin things and the drones will buy them which is where the money comes in. They know the drones will buy it and make them lot of money. So I guess really, it could be just one reason, drones. But it is how it all is, this is why we get like 20 sequels of a game now. Look at Assassins Creed, it was once a great game, and now it is tapering off as we have moved into a yearly franchise. Same goes with games like Call of Duty, Mario platformers, Sim City, The Sims, Warcraft, etc. Now, don't get me wrong here, some installments are great and really awesome but, they are just re-skins essentially and the same thing as the last one which is why they get boring a lot faster than they did before. yeah, the game is new, but it is just a re-skin of the last and as you're playing it, it just gets older faster because you've technically already played that game.

The other thing that I have noticed if you are like me who is now 25 or so (or for some, even older) and has been gaming since you can remember, I've had video games in my house since before I was born, I started with the NES which i still play today but as an adult to me now compared to when I was a kid, Video games to get boring faster than they used to and it could just be a growing up thing.