By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are games so boring now-a-days?

Barozi said:
oh I love gaming but I'm almost never in the mood to play something.

What helps me:

If you go through your collection, don't say "no" to the games you don't want to play. Just play them.
A couple of minutes in, you'll notice that you actually enjoy them.

I did that... With Megaman X4...  I said to myself, "I'm just going to play through split mushroom's stage..."  nevermind the fact that he's the first boss I'm headed for...  After I hopped up to get the heart upgrade, I decided to leave it.  I mean, I don't need any power-ups for this game, right?  Got all the way to the boss...  Died... again and again and got sent to the continue screen.  Quit the game at that point...

I've tried playing dragon age...  I usually quit at the title screen itself.

In Max Payne 3, I'm in this one particular area probably near the end of the game...  not even sure which chapter it is, but im in some abandoned warehouse?...  I always quit, because all you do is shoot in that game.

I've even increased my PSOne classics collection from a mere 7 to 28 recently...  Buying games I wasn't going to play anyway, like Syphon Filter 1, 2 and 3, all three spyro and 3 crash games...  Haven't touched any of those past the week I bought them.

So, that doesn't exactly help me... two minutes in, I'm clicking on the text that says "Quit Game."

Around the Network
bubblegamer said:
This has a name, can't remember it though! It's a part of growing up as you don't like gaming as much as you did when you were younger. Take a break from it for a while and you'll start missing it again.

It's called "ass burgers".

Dear Jesus, Please let someone get that reference.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

^^I got the reference.

DucksUnlimited said:

I kind of understand what you're going through, but it's a little different for me. There are plenty of games that I'm interested in playing, but everytime I start I can only make it about half an hour before I feel like stopping.

A half hour?  I can barely reach 10 minutes, and that's if I'm lucky.  I've played a total of five actual minutes on my steam account even... The rest of the 15 minutes I have clocked through my collection is main menu times.  If it's not Tekken, or Marvel it just doesn't work for me.

Oh Lord.. Dude

Getting bored with games is NORMAL! You have to snap back to reality! 

When i was a kid, me and my friends LOVED games BUT we also used to do other things. Nobody should keep playing games non stop. We would go outside, build club houses, go to the YMCA, play man hunt, trade Pokemon cards, play tag football and other things AMONG playing games. Playing games all day would be BORING AS SHIT! You need to do something else. 

Final Fantasy is my #1 gaming franchise and i have Ff7,8 and 9 on my PS3 but i cant play them right now. Why? Because i simply dont feel like playing any of them right now.

You ever wonder why you eventually get bored of eating the same thing everyday? You ever liked a song but eventually got tired of it because people kept playing it over and over and over again?

I Have Tales Of Xillia, Ni No Kuni, FF13, Blue Dragon, Tales Of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey but guess what? I can play them right now if i wanted but do you want to know why i'm not gping to? That's right! It's because i dont feel like it.

You're just smothering your gaming hobby.

Burning Typhoon said:
Barozi said:
oh I love gaming but I'm almost never in the mood to play something.

What helps me:

If you go through your collection, don't say "no" to the games you don't want to play. Just play them.
A couple of minutes in, you'll notice that you actually enjoy them.

I did that... With Megaman X4...  I said to myself, "I'm just going to play through split mushroom's stage..."  nevermind the fact that he's the first boss I'm headed for...  After I hopped up to get the heart upgrade, I decided to leave it.  I mean, I don't need any power-ups for this game, right?  Got all the way to the boss...  Died... again and again and got sent to the continue screen.  Quit the game at that point...

I've tried playing dragon age...  I usually quit at the title screen itself.

In Max Payne 3, I'm in this one particular area probably near the end of the game...  not even sure which chapter it is, but im in some abandoned warehouse?...  I always quit, because all you do is shoot in that game.

I've even increased my PSOne classics collection from a mere 7 to 28 recently...  Buying games I wasn't going to play anyway, like Syphon Filter 1, 2 and 3, all three spyro and 3 crash games...  Haven't touched any of those past the week I bought them.

So, that doesn't exactly help me... two minutes in, I'm clicking on the text that says "Quit Game."

This happened to me a couple of years ago but i took a good 2 or so months off gaming and when i decided to play again it felt like a whole new experience. I would suggest you have some sort of break as well, it will really work.

Around the Network

I'm kind of in a similar situation: games for the most part just don't do it for me anymore. It's time to move on to books and writing! I have and I've read some great books and have a story I'm working on that's already 170,000 words long and counting! It just feels more fulfilling.

Quick recommendation: read 'Nothing to Envy' by Barbara Demick. What a great read!

Burning Typhoon said:
DucksUnlimited said:

I kind of understand what you're going through, but it's a little different for me. There are plenty of games that I'm interested in playing, but everytime I start I can only make it about half an hour before I feel like stopping.

A half hour?  I can barely reach 10 minutes, and that's if I'm lucky.  I've played a total of five actual minutes on my steam account even... The rest of the 15 minutes I have clocked through my collection is main menu times.  If it's not Tekken, or Marvel it just doesn't work for me.

Someone needs to find a cure for our ailment. In the meantime, I can only hope my condition doesn't reach your level.

enditall727 said:

Oh Lord.. Dude

Getting bored with games is NORMAL! You have to snap back to reality! 

When i was a kid, me and my friends LOVED games BUT we also used to do other things. Nobody should keep playing games non stop. We would go outside, build club houses, go to the YMCA, play man hunt, trade Pokemon cards, play tag football and other things AMONG playing games. Playing games all day would be BORING AS SHIT! You need to do something else. 

Final Fantasy is my #1 gaming franchise and i have Ff7,8 and 9 on my PS3 but i cant play them right now. Why? Because i simply dont feel like playing any of them right now.

You ever wonder why you eventually get bored of eating the same thing everyday? You ever liked a song but eventually got tired of it because people kept playing it over and over and over again?

I Have Tales Of Xillia, Ni No Kuni, FF13, Blue Dragon, Tales Of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey but guess what? I can play them right now if i wanted but do you want to know why i'm not gping to? That's right! It's because i dont feel like it.

You're probably just smothering this gaming hobby of yours.

So, buying more games isn't going to help, then?   Got it.  But, I do other things.  I'm pretty good at billiards, but I hate that game.  I call my shots and usually make everything with ease, but, I just hate how you can potentially beat someone without them ever getting to the table.  So, I can lose the game if you knock the 8 ball in on break and don't scratch?  Why is this game fun?...  I lost without doing anything, I could have been anywhere in the world and the outcome would have been the same...

Then, people don't want to pay attention because the tv is going...   Then, sometimes I don't catch they're shooting at my balls.  Oh well, knock them in for me, I guess.  That's what happens when you dont pay attention.

You should play games like;

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Dillon's Rolling Western

Ketzal's Corridors

Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword

Rodea the Sky Soldier

Mario & Luigi dream team

King of Pirates

The wonderful 101

ZombiU

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D

Star Fox 64 3D

AR Games

Kingdom Hearts 3D

Resident Evil Revelations 3D

Mario Kart 8

Bayonetta 1 & 2

Mass Effect 1 & 2 & 3

Devil's Third

Hyrule Warriors

Batman Arkham City Armored Edition

My theories, as a gamer of 25 or so years:

- More time, money, and effort deticated to cinematics, horsepower, story, and other non-gaming fluff

- More laziness from developers, especially those that know many deticated fans and easilly impressional gamers out there will buy their already established franchise regardless - see Madden, Call of Duty, Halo, GT, MGS, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, (though the last two have changed somewhat lately)

- More linearity in games (sort of relates to the first point because linearity generally is created to allow for more horsepower and flashy effects in games)

- Increasing pressure and conformity from the industry, which is taking on more of a souless machine - like quality (pressure from publishers to conform and make games a certain way, increasing development costs, deadlines, etc..)

- Hipster and artsy-fartsy type devs who feel that games are more "art" than well, "games" and thus use games as a meduim to convey messages, creativity, and other artistic qualities as opposed to the technicallities of simply making a fun and engaging game.

I have found that many modern games feel like more of a chore than a fun experience. There was a time when I use to just force myself to plow through them, because I felt they would get better, or I felt as a deticated gamer I *should* like said game. But I finally realized - maybe because I've grown older and less patient - that there's no point in playing a game that I don't find very fun. Now I simply toss the game aside and sell it back if I don't like it. I don't kid myself anymore. This way I can continue to cycle through games until I find the ones I actually enjoy, and stick with them. There are very few these days, but it's great when it happens.. Now I mostly just stick with retro games I've always enjoyed, or online multiplayer. Most modern single player games don't do it for me these days, the few that I like tend to be very open world sandbox type games, particularly those that cut the cutscene/tutorial/dialouge fluff that has contributed in making games more boring.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden