By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are games so boring now-a-days?

Take a break.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
For starters a lot of the games you mentioned you've tryed playing aren't actually recent so yeah...

Besides, the problem seems to be with you rather than the games. Just try not gaming for a while then come back to it and see if it's any different.

Doesn't matter if it's recent or not, If I'd personally never played it before.  Especially if it's a triple A title for five bucks.  Sometimes, games are more fun knowing you didn't just drop 60 bucks on them, or whatever the original price was.  I hated Dive Kick when I played it at a friends, but when I bought it knowing I only spent 2.50 for it I played it a bit and actually liked it.

I Basically got games I'd wanted in some point in time, but didn't get for one reason or another, or if at the very least, thought about buying briefly.  Fast forward to now, all those games I thought about getting, or forgot to get, etc.  I have them all now...  The exceptions being kingdom hearts (it's disc only and by bluray disc reader is a little picky) and zone of the enders (it lags).

Marvel Vs. Capcom is the only game that really doesn't bore me (besides TTT2)  but, I just troll people with wins in that game using Megaman, Roll and Lou.  When I do run into the one person that manages to beat me with that team, I just swap Roll out for Hulk and start winning again..  There's only like... 3 people that'll give me a run for my money online.

But, people are hardly ever online in that game for some reason.

It sounds like I should just take a break, but there are times I legitimately feel like playing something... until I turn on my PS3, and don't feel like playing any of the games I have.

The last game that I was blown away by and really wanted to complete was Ni No Kuni back in Febuary/January. Ever since then I have yet to find a game that has hooked me in such a way. It reminded me of some older Nintendo games because it was so charming.

Other than that, I do agree with the OP that the gaming scene seems a little bland right now.

It's because you have no Nintendo in your life lol. But seriously about five years ago I just completely lost interest in gaming, other than an occasional halo match I basically quit for four full years. Last year I got a wii u and 3ds and now I'm playing more than I ever did.

Try a new system with a franchise you've neglected

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network
DarthMetalliCube said:

My theories, as a gamer of 25 or so years:

- More time, money, and effort deticated to cinematics, horsepower, story, and other non-gaming fluff

- More laziness from developers, especially those that know many deticated fans and easilly impressional gamers out there will buy their already established franchise regardless - see Madden, Call of Duty, Halo, GT, MGS, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, (though the last two have changed somewhat lately)

- More linearity in games (sort of relates to the first point because linearity generally is created to allow for more horsepower and flashy effects in games)

- Increasing pressure and conformity from the industry, which is taking on more of a souless machine - like quality (pressure from publishers to conform and make games a certain way, increasing development costs, deadlines, etc..)

- Hipster and artsy-fartsy type devs who feel that games are more "art" than well, "games" and thus use games as a meduim to convey messages, creativity, and other artistic qualities as opposed to the technicallities of simply making a fun and engaging game.

I have found that many modern games feel like more of a chore than a fun experience. There was a time when I use to just force myself to plow through them, because I felt they would get better, or I felt as a deticated gamer I *should* like said game. But I finally realized - maybe because I've grown older and less patient - that there's no point in playing a game that I don't find very fun. Now I simply toss the game aside and sell it back if I don't like it. I don't kid myself anymore. This way I can continue to cycle through games until I find the ones I actually enjoy, and stick with them. There are very few these days, but it's great when it happens.. Now I mostly just stick with retro games I've always enjoyed, or online multiplayer. Most modern single player games don't do it for me these days, the few that I like tend to be very open world sandbox type games, particularly those that cut the cutscene/tutorial/dialouge fluff that has contributed in making games more boring.

Looking at yout post makes me realize why I'm only playing indie games and digital titles.  I just bought Plants vs Zombies for the 3rd or 4th time and that game on my tablet gets more playtime than anything on home consoles these days.  Graphics and piss poor stories aren't doing it for me like they uaed to.

We've basically seen anything nowadays, and nowadays I can play only games like Journey or Dark Souls, which offer me something different than the usual and thus more exciting. Maybe you should try the same. I do have some hope for some future titles, though, like Life Is Strange and Deep Down, which seem innovative enough.

Sometimes you find out that you need to take a break from gaming, this is when all games bore you... it's normal and it shows that for now you need to find something else to stimulate you.

Go play outside!

I had same problem every game I bought on ps3 and 360 bored me to sleep literally. Then I bought a wii u. Restored my faith the games are fuuuunnnnn. Sold 360 and havent played a game on ps3 in nearly a year.

stpaulmagic said:
It's because you have no Nintendo in your life lol. But seriously about five years ago I just completely lost interest in gaming, other than an occasional halo match I basically quit for four full years. Last year I got a wii u and 3ds and now I'm playing more than I ever did.

Thats me all over wii u is just fun to play