By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon best sellers still shows the X1 selling poorly

fastyxx said:
On the flipside of the "Amazon best sellers is a great guidepost" argument is that the best-selling game this year on any platform is.....

Thief Gold for Windows.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar

So that squares with our preconceptions by....

It was free for a while...

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network
fastyxx said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Is it or had it been on sale. Like I said in another thread.... actually I'll copy and paste.

"I think the only thing that can give false readings is when they put things on sale. Say if 100 people bought the game "Mega Awesome FPS",  and 200 people bought the game "Super Epic Adventure 2". Now if Amazon has 25% of all sales that would mean 25 bought MAFPS and 50 SEA2 from Amazon. But say if they sold MAFPS $10 lower than all other stores then the percentage of all sales would go up, lets say it went up to 55%. So they would of sold 55 games but since MAFPS is still sold the same price as everywhere else it still only sold 25%, 50 games.

So that would mean that even though SEA2 sold more in all stores in total, MAFPS would show higher on Amazon.

Having said that, if you comparing products being sold at RRP or with similar discounts, then it should be more of a fair comparison."

But we have no way of knowing whether the gap between say #4 and #25 is  adozen units?  50 units?  1,000 units?  10,000 units?  Are people ordering online representative of who is actually buying consoles at this moment?  Initial orders are more likely to get filled online, with bigger pre-order allotments, no driving around looking for units, etc.   But when the relatively affluent early adopters roll through, are the next wave more or less likely to buy online versus GameStop with trade-ins, for example.  (If I'm waiting for price drops and the like, am I more likely to need the extra $20 from trading in last gen games, for example? )

I'm just in the camp, that while I would think it IS indeed indicative of sales ocverall, the extent of it is unknown and silly to guess at.  Too many variables and factors.  

Take a look at the movers and shakers section, games, hardware etc can see massive boost from price cuts. If Thief was sold at an extremely good deal then it will see massive boosts. Also I agree with there being many varibles and factors, the example I gave is one that can affect the figures. But I stand by if the prices are RRP then there shouldn't be many major factors to sway the figures.

1 thing I will say though is that PS TV will not be in the top 100 for long because it's brand new to the charts and will dip back down as time goes. Destiny bundle will also dip for the same reason and will rise again before launch. Same goes for the $399 X1 but now the $399 X1 has launched it should be somewhere around it's peak before going back down and hold a steady position (of course before the holiday boost that will boost all consoles).

TheFallen said:
Where's the X1 Chalkboard? PS3 owners were put through that from 06-09 . What will save the X1 next?

Amazon is just an indication of sales, it's never the be all and end all.

Still think PS4 will outsell XBO in June, the only thing that might sway it is June is a dead month for games and people *might* want to wait for the white PS4... because its lovely :)

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Just wait for the Xbone Halo collection bundle ;0

Around the Network
2008ProchargedGT said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:

Ok buddy. Keep on spining everything into a way you want to see it and not the whole picture. 

What i said was correct and it was just common sense. 

Oh the irony

I know right? There is really no making sense with people like that. With them, there is what they think and everyone else must be outta there minds to not agree with them. No matter how many facts or numbers you throw at them.

I love how people base an item's popularity through Amazon.

Madword said:
Amazon is just an indication of sales, it's never the be all and end all.

Still think PS4 will outsell XBO in June, the only thing that might sway it is June is a dead month for games and people *might* want to wait for the white PS4... because its lovely :)

It will really surprise me if that happens. There is zero reason I can think of as to why the PS4 should outsell the XB1 in june. I believe that a lot of people held out on buying the XB1 in may waiting for the price dropped XB1. Add that to the usual amount of people that would have picked up the XB1 this month and I expect sales of the XB1 to be in the 260k-300k range for this month before dropping to around 180k-190k next month.

If the PS4 outsells the XB1 this month, the MS is really in trouble, cause this month I don't see the PS4 doing more than 230K sales. So that will mean that @$399 and with a 3 week sale boost from the previous month in addition to sales for an entire month the XB1 still doesn't break 230K sales????

As expeted some increase for xbox but ps4 still in lead

Double post