By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does the world even want a WiiU?

*Looks at sales*
Nope, apparently not.

Around the Network
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
The world wants a Wii U with 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, HD Zelda, and Monolith Soft's X, not a Wii U without any killer apps, which is its current situation.

now 2d mario is not a killer app, eveybody here including me thought it was a killer app before it launched, even nintendo thought it would sell them 5.5 million units by launch.

If 2d mario caught Nintendo off guard how can anyone guarentee the same won't happen with the other "winning" titles?

Mazty said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
The world wants a Wii U with 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, HD Zelda, and Monolith Soft's X, not a Wii U without any killer apps, which is its current situation.

now 2d mario is not a killer app, eveybody here including me thought it was a killer app before it launched, even nintendo thought it would sell them 5.5 million units by launch.

If 2d mario caught Nintendo off guard how can anyone guarentee the same won't happen with the other "winning" titles?

I personally don't think any of those title will save wiiu, the only way it can be saved is wii sports 2, the casual market now that's hard to predict.

kolbykooz said:
The Vita is selling better than the Wii U. THE VITA!!

The vita has many big exlusive games already, the wii u on the other hand...

Mazty said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:

Different audiences. New Super Mario Bros appeals to people who won't pay $350+ for a console; Zelda and Smash Bros appeal more to those who will. Plus, the Wi U's price will have dropped by the time many of them hit.

Around the Network

yes wii u is done. now get out of here.

I know several people who are looking to buy one but not now because they dont have the money. And these people are the same type of people who will eventually buy a PS4/Xbox. This is the major reason I know those two consoles are going to face the exact same thing the Wii U is going through. Because "It's nice but I don't have that much money right now." This is the market all 3 will have to contend with if they want to sell more than a few million the next five or so years.

curl-6 said:
Mazty said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:

Different audiences. New Super Mario Bros appeals to people who won't pay $350+ for a console; Zelda and Smash Bros appeal more to those who will. Plus, the Wi U's price will have dropped by the time many of them hit.

I see what you're saying, but NSMB is THE killer app, if its not doing anything for Wii U like it did for DS, Wii and 3DS to an extent. THen i dont see what those other games mentioned besides MK would do. Yes they sell to a different audience but that audience potential is already pretty much set in stone. Those games already sell a certain amount.

OdinHades said:
Things are looking really bad in europe for poor Wii U. It's price dropped by nearly 100 €, you can get the basic version for no more than 219 €. It's 10 € cheaper than the 12 GB PS3. But guess what console is always sold out. The Premium Version also dropped to 280 € and nobody wants it. All you see are big ass towers of Wii U, Demo Units with nobody who plays on them and the smallest game section ever, tacked on to the Wii section. Even the Vita is more present.

I think Nintendo got themselves stuck between the generations. They can't compete with the price and the games of PS3 and 360 and those consoles will be around for at least two more years. After that, PS4 and XBox 3 will be well established, leaving Wii U in the dust. I don't know if Nintendo can turn this thing around. A Wii U just isn't attractive to modern customers. It lacks Multimedia and has an online service that's far behind the competition. If you ask me, Nintendo has some tough years ahead when it comes to home consoles.

Although I was waiting for Dr. Mario U to come out before buying a family member a WiiU. Do tell where they are selling WiiU's at those prices.

FYI I got the premium version at launch for 300€.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Pesmerga7551 said:
Kids moms stopped buying the Wii. That is why the sales stopped. Wii games always sold poorly. It gets zero love from other studios for a reason.

That myth is simply wrong. Wii has an attach rate only slightly below that of PS360. Multiple Wii-games outsold the best-selling PS360-games. And Just Dance 4 shows, that even today people buy Wii-games, if there are games to begin with.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]