By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does the world even want a WiiU?

BasilZero said:
JazzB1987 said:
BasilZero said:
JazzB1987 said:

The right question should be:

Does the world even need humans?

Or anything else for that matter?

So humans dont want humans? Makes sense.

You do realize that WANT and NEED  are 2 different words?   I hope you do.

Fine - mistake is on me for not reading the post properly but my question is still the same regardless of the mistake.

So you are saying Humans do not need other humans? Makes sense

He wrote the WORLD does not need humans. That is something I would agree. But the post he answered on used 'the world' as synonym for 'the people'. So I understand what you are saying.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
The world wants a Wii U with 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, HD Zelda, and Monolith Soft's X, not a Wii U without any killer apps, which is its current situation.

now 2d mario is not a killer app, eveybody here including me thought it was a killer app before it launched, even nintendo thought it would sell them 5.5 million units by launch.

New Super Mario Bros is a killer app for parents  shopping for their kids, and they will avoid the Wii U because it's the most expensive console, so at present, it is not a killer app.

I think you're lying to yourself a bit here. I agree, that people wait for multiple must have games instead of only one. But NSMB is a killer-app usually and I don't think all the games you mentioned will do wonders. They will help, but WiiU will not start to become a sales-monster.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

ninjablade said:
Mazty said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
The world wants a Wii U with 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, HD Zelda, and Monolith Soft's X, not a Wii U without any killer apps, which is its current situation.

now 2d mario is not a killer app, eveybody here including me thought it was a killer app before it launched, even nintendo thought it would sell them 5.5 million units by launch.

If 2d mario caught Nintendo off guard how can anyone guarentee the same won't happen with the other "winning" titles?

I personally don't think any of those title will save wiiu, the only way it can be saved is wii sports 2, the casual market now that's hard to predict.

I agree with you (although I think Mario Kart will do something, the others will not do much). But Wii Sports Resort U is needed for turning the sales around.

I think it does, but not on the scale that consumers adopted the Wii. Even when the games come, it will have a hard time breaking the 40 Million units sold mark. I want to be proven wrong though because I own a Wii U and I have a lot of love for Nintendo, but they've messed up pretty big this time and it's going to take their big guns to get the Wii U back in the game at a decent level.

I want one, but its just way too expensive where I live.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

The concept behind the console is flawed imo. I expressed this concern before it actually launched. The Tablet controller is not compelling to the audience the Wii was popular with, because this asymmetric gameplay is very hard to sell, and not being able to have several tablets is a huge issue. I'm sure that if it supported up to 4 tablets (and these weren't damn expensive) the console would've been much easier to sell.

The Wii was successful because it was a family-friendly console that was simply a lot of fun to play together. Then came the WiiU and tried to attract the core, but in doing this Nintendo neglected their audience, while not doing nearly enough to really attract the core, so now they are stuck in limbo.

I'm mainly talking about the console's design, games will help a lot, but the WiiU's design flaws will be there forever.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

ninjablade said:
spurgeonryan said:

The Wii is almost selling double what the WiiU is selling. The Wii was never about graphics either. People loved it for the exclusives. The only reason we stopped buying Wii's is because Nintendo basically stopped supporting it. 2010 was still a big year, then 2011 totally collapsed.

If Nintendo just would have continued with what they were doing, cut down on shovelware some, and fixed a few other things I am sure the Wii would be fine for everyone still.

People loved it for its motion controls, and the n64, GC, and wiiu are proof of that, exlcusives will never be enough to sell over 40 million, with out great third party support, except for wii, which didn't sell cause of its exclusived but its motion controls which sold to a audience that never even really care about gaming, for instants, i bet everybody on here know none gameers that bough a wii and really enjoyed, like my sister and ex girlfriend, they both never cared about games but love the wii, and say its fun.

Most of that is valid, except for the part about saying NO gamers bought and enjoyed it. I'm as hard core as they come, and I enjoyed it. I mean, Xenoblade? Really? How core is THAT game? It's probably the best RPG since FFX.

The thing is, the Wii was the most diverse of the three. I could play Wii Sports and go for that gold medal in bowling, and then play Madworld or Metriod right afterwards. Sony and MS TRIED to accomplish that later in their life spans, but failed.

Not right now.It´s performing worse than '$599 PS3', worse than the GameCube, according to the NPD reports...and tanking everywhere else too.

We´ll see to what extent things change once the heavy hitters are released.

BlkPaladin said:
I know several people who are looking to buy one but not now because they dont have the money. And these people are the same type of people who will eventually buy a PS4/Xbox. This is the major reason I know those two consoles are going to face the exact same thing the Wii U is going through. Because "It's nice but I don't have that much money right now." This is the market all 3 will have to contend with if they want to sell more than a few million the next five or so years.

The PS4 and Xbox wont have the same issues as Nintendo. Their issue is simpler than Nintendos. They know their crowd and they stay there.

oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:

If 2d mario caught Nintendo off guard how can anyone guarentee the same won't happen with the other "winning" titles?

Different audiences. New Super Mario Bros appeals to people who won't pay $350+ for a console; Zelda and Smash Bros appeal more to those who will. Plus, the Wi U's price will have dropped by the time many of them hit.

I see what you're saying, but NSMB is THE killer app, if its not doing anything for Wii U like it did for DS, Wii and 3DS to an extent. THen i dont see what those other games mentioned besides MK would do. Yes they sell to a different audience but that audience potential is already pretty much set in stone. Those games already sell a certain amount.

Mnementh said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:

New Super Mario Bros is a killer app for parents  shopping for their kids, and they will avoid the Wii U because it's the most expensive console, so at present, it is not a killer app.

I think you're lying to yourself a bit here. I agree, that people wait for multiple must have games instead of only one. But NSMB is a killer-app usually and I don't think all the games you mentioned will do wonders. They will help, but WiiU will not start to become a sales-monster.

Here's the thing; a lot of the "core" NIntendo gamers aren't so into 2D Mario now as they've worked out its not as much like the NES/SNES ones as they wanted. So they're not going to buy the system for just that anymore. Parents will cos it's a popular child-friendly game they might remember from their own childhood,but when presented with a $350 Wii U or a $200 Xbox 360, theyy'll opt for the cheaper one. NSMB is only a big system seller under the right conditions.