By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does the world even want a WiiU?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
BlkPaladin said:
I know several people who are looking to buy one but not now because they dont have the money. And these people are the same type of people who will eventually buy a PS4/Xbox. This is the major reason I know those two consoles are going to face the exact same thing the Wii U is going through. Because "It's nice but I don't have that much money right now." This is the market all 3 will have to contend with if they want to sell more than a few million the next five or so years.

The PS4 and Xbox wont have the same issues as Nintendo. Their issue is simpler than Nintendos. They know their crowd and they stay there.

Well yes but as BlkPaladin said, they may not have the money to fork out for a new xbox and playstation right away....things aint rosey at the moment for many...so it may not be as simple as releasing a console which targets their 'crowd'.

...and with a lot of 3rd party developers releasing versions of their upcoming games simultanoeusly  in next gen form for the ps4 and new xbox AS WELL as for the current gen consoles, I think there will be less incentive for many people to rush out and buy these new consoles, aside from the most devoted. I mean a fan of Ass Creed wont have to buy a next gen console to play Ass Creed 4, so  yeah, I can see the possibility of the next gen 'hardcore' consoles being in the exact same position as the wii u this time next year (not saying they wont succeed, I just think both consoles will probably launch badly, or underperform, cos people will be hesitant.)

Around the Network

I think the right question is.... does the world want consoles at all ?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
BlkPaladin said:
I know several people who are looking to buy one but not now because they dont have the money. And these people are the same type of people who will eventually buy a PS4/Xbox. This is the major reason I know those two consoles are going to face the exact same thing the Wii U is going through. Because "It's nice but I don't have that much money right now." This is the market all 3 will have to contend with if they want to sell more than a few million the next five or so years.

The PS4 and Xbox wont have the same issues as Nintendo. Their issue is simpler than Nintendos. They know their crowd and they stay there.

Nobody can be certain of that. Vita is still struggling (although  getting two great weeks in Japan) and it´s clear that fans alone can´t guarantee that high expensive consoles can be sucessfull.  As the market shrinks year after year, the most likely scenario is that every console from now on will have slow starts, just like 3DS and Vita had and WiiU is having right now.

ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
The world wants a Wii U with 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, HD Zelda, and Monolith Soft's X, not a Wii U without any killer apps, which is its current situation.

now 2d mario is not a killer app, eveybody here including me thought it was a killer app before it launched, even nintendo thought it would sell them 5.5 million units by launch.

2D Mario is a killer app, its just that Nintendo decided to release 2 NSMB games within a short space of each other. NSMBU has sold well considering the userbase.

curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
The world wants a Wii U with 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, HD Zelda, and Monolith Soft's X, not a Wii U without any killer apps, which is its current situation.

now 2d mario is not a killer app, eveybody here including me thought it was a killer app before it launched, even nintendo thought it would sell them 5.5 million units by launch.

If 2d mario caught Nintendo off guard how can anyone guarentee the same won't happen with the other "winning" titles?

Different audiences. New Super Mario Bros appeals to people who won't pay $350+ for a console; Zelda and Smash Bros appeal more to those who will. Plus, the Wi U's price will have dropped by the time many of them hit.

I see what you're saying, but NSMB is THE killer app, if its not doing anything for Wii U like it did for DS, Wii and 3DS to an extent. THen i dont see what those other games mentioned besides MK would do. Yes they sell to a different audience but that audience potential is already pretty much set in stone. Those games already sell a certain amount.

Mnementh said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:

New Super Mario Bros is a killer app for parents  shopping for their kids, and they will avoid the Wii U because it's the most expensive console, so at present, it is not a killer app.

I think you're lying to yourself a bit here. I agree, that people wait for multiple must have games instead of only one. But NSMB is a killer-app usually and I don't think all the games you mentioned will do wonders. They will help, but WiiU will not start to become a sales-monster.

Here's the thing; a lot of the "core" NIntendo gamers aren't so into 2D Mario now as they've worked out its not as much like the NES/SNES ones as they wanted. So they're not going to buy the system for just that anymore. Parents will cos it's a popular child-friendly game they might remember from their own childhood,but when presented with a $350 Wii U or a $200 Xbox 360, theyy'll opt for the cheaper one. NSMB is only a big system seller under the right conditions.

I could kinda see that, but do you think there are that much "core" Nintendo gamers who havent bought one already? Do you think there are that much people who are tired of 2d mario already? Seriously, cause the NSMBWu is still the best selling game not pack in by a long shot, hell its not that far behind Nintyland either, but you could be right.

Around the Network

People need to stop talking about the Wii U.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

prayformojo said:
ninjablade said:
spurgeonryan said:

The Wii is almost selling double what the WiiU is selling. The Wii was never about graphics either. People loved it for the exclusives. The only reason we stopped buying Wii's is because Nintendo basically stopped supporting it. 2010 was still a big year, then 2011 totally collapsed.

If Nintendo just would have continued with what they were doing, cut down on shovelware some, and fixed a few other things I am sure the Wii would be fine for everyone still.

People loved it for its motion controls, and the n64, GC, and wiiu are proof of that, exlcusives will never be enough to sell over 40 million, with out great third party support, except for wii, which didn't sell cause of its exclusived but its motion controls which sold to a audience that never even really care about gaming, for instants, i bet everybody on here know none gameers that bough a wii and really enjoyed, like my sister and ex girlfriend, they both never cared about games but love the wii, and say its fun.

Most of that is valid, except for the part about saying NO gamers bought and enjoyed it. I'm as hard core as they come, and I enjoyed it. I mean, Xenoblade? Really? How core is THAT game? It's probably the best RPG since FFX.

The thing is, the Wii was the most diverse of the three. I could play Wii Sports and go for that gold medal in bowling, and then play Madworld or Metriod right afterwards. Sony and MS TRIED to accomplish that later in their life spans, but failed.

The bolded is wrong. Fact is, the only games that PS360 wasnt getting was those motion type games. As soon as they both got their own, they started getting them, and in 360s case they started getting them in spades. Add that to the fact they were ALREADY getting fantastic 3rd party from VARIOUS genres then i cant see how someone in their right mind can say that Wii was the most diverse, it wasnt not even close. Dont see how they failed, they got the type of games that were being made on the Wii. While the Wii was still not getting the games that were always on PS360. To put it in perspective; how much dance games were relased on PS360, exercise? Now how much fighters were released on Wii? 2? 3? How much of those were 3d fighters? what about WRPGs??

theARTIST0017 said:
People need to stop talking about the Wii U.

Why??  Its a video game forum, for a system that just came out, we SHOULD be talking about it, if we werent then that would be a real problem

feb npd said wii u sold sround 64k in america

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Rogerioandrade said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
BlkPaladin said:

Nobody can be certain of that. Vita is still struggling (although  getting two great weeks in Japan) and it´s clear that fans alone can´t guarantee that high expensive consoles can be sucessfull.  As the market shrinks year after year, the most likely scenario is that every console from now on will have slow starts, just like 3DS and Vita had and WiiU is having right now.

The Vita is a handheld. It was never a majorly strong item. Nintendo has always ruled that ball court even above their consoles and Sony has always run the show with consoles. Its as simple as that. You will see.