By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassin's Creed 1-2 are two of the worst games ever created

Is Assassin's Creed overrated?`

Yes 130 34.95%

No 240 64.52%

Total:370
Max King of the Wild said:
Alphachris said:
Tell me another game that lets you visit some of the most famous tourist sights of Renaissance Italy. Firenze, Venice? Tell me another game that tries to wrap a story around History? Assassin's Creed is simply brilliant... Its the one open world game that I find not boring and that can truly tell a thrilling story.

Really?

Yes. Please tell me some other games that takes a rather serious approach to History. And please no World War II Egoshooter or similar Action-Movie approach. In AC, when you walk around the city your database pops up and gives you background information about famous buildings, persons or other historical topics.

Ok, they had to take some liberty in Altering some historical Details tow wrap the whole Assassins Story around the History, but that was necessary for storytelling reasons. But all in all, the approach was taking History serious. You got nice Bonus collections like the famous paintings in AC II etc.

For me, Assassin's Creed is a really unique Experience and I like to have more games of this kind. There are maybe some games that makes the single Parts of AC better, like fighting or climbing. But AC combines these factors and form a very living atmosphere and giving these gameplay elements some deeper sense than most other games. I do not know any other Franchise on consoles that delivers a comparable experience. Maybe I just missed it...

Let me compare AC to other open-world games, GTA 4 for example.

AC gives you a character with a full personality like Ezio. You watch how Ezio becomes an Assassin and you can follow his motivation througout the story. Most missions you do have some connections to the whole story and your primary goal. The whole game feels complete and most of the time you know why you are doing something.

GTA gives you a character with little backstory. Most of the time you do not know why you are doing the missions. Most people that are giving you jobs are just there for 3-4 jobs until they disappear. There is no logical connection between the single missions and the actual goal of the game... Most of the time that I play the game I do not know what this whole game is actually about. Most of the time I do not have the feeling that there is actually a serious story and most characters are only there to show off some crazy personality/sterotype. GTA 4 lacks depth to me. It is a game to pick up and play without having to do much thinking.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:

Seriously, this franchise sucks..let me tell you why.

(Keep in mind I've only completed Assassin's Creed II, which is considered to be the best in the series by critics and most gamers. I'd give this game a 4/10 at the MOST.)

The combat is shallow, repetitive and boring. I've never played a game with combat so stupid. All you do is hold block, wait until the enemy attacks, then you press a button to counter. You do this same task for almost every single encounter. You can't switch up combos or anything. It looks cool to kill the first ten dudes in the game, but when you have to do the same thing over and over again, it makes you wonder why people love this crap so much. As long as you press attack while you're opponent is getting ready to attack, then you will win everytime. I admit, I've let the computer kill me a few times just because I got tired of the same crap every fight. There's no challenge at all. And you can't just rush through opponents either; they like to spam block ALL DAY LONG. So you are forced to wait for them to attack so you can counter. You have to sit through these long, stretched-out battles that all play the exact same as the previous encounter.

The platforming sucks. Seriously, the platforming in Assassin's Creed shouldn't be called platforming. It should just be called moving, because that's all you got to do. You hold L1, push the thumbstick forward, and the computer does all the work for you. You don't have to worry about timing or accuracy because the computer does everything for you. Again, there is no challenge. How do you jump over gaps? The game does it automatically. How do you climb? The game does it automatically. How do you grab ledges? The game does it automatically. Can you fall while platforming? Not if you're over three-years-old (Seriously, my 3 year-old nephew stopped playing because he said it was too easy). This sets up for long stretches of boring moments when you're climbing enourmous towers that take forever to scale. 

I once began scaling a building a tower while closing my eyes and got already to the top of the tower without dying. What type of shit is this? There is no fear of failure in this game. There is no challenge. You aren't playing the game; the game plays itself while you push a button or two.

Is there any fun gameplay? Nope, there is no fun gameplay in the game. Some say the story is good, maybe it is...but if the story is the only good thing about a game, then the game (notice I said game), is crap. Besides, the story is mediocre and is only a series of cliffhangers anyway. Oh, and the graphics are good. So, if you like cool graphics and mediocre stories without the need for any depth, then you'll probably like this game (you're probably an avid fan of Twilight too). 30% of the game consists of extremely long and boring combat. 40% of the game consists of extremely long and boring platforming. 20% of the game is spent going from one location to another. And the other 10% is miscleaneous (waiting for load times, sleeping, etc).

A question to all of you: When was the last time you were playing Assassin's Creed and thought, "this is a really fun game"? Give me a specific moment in the game.

EDIT: Also, it's the most linear open-world game I've ever played

While you where climbing the buildings, have you ever put your focus away from the actual "difficulity" of finding the climbing spots to the actual buildings you where climbing. Have you ever realized that you just climb Giotto's Campanile, Santa Maria del Fiore, Santa Croce, Palazzo Vecchio, Basilica di San Marco, etc... that are some of the most famous buildings in the World. Its amazing how many People are there visiting Firenze, Venezia or Roma each day just to be able to see them. If you have ever been to Italy it is just brilliant to revisit these places in the game (witout the crowds of Tourists).

It is somehow sad that they went away from Europe and the Mediterranean and brought AC to the US.

Jay520 said:
Slimebeast said:

Assassin's Creed is not a game, it's an experience.
(it has no gameplay, or the little it has is so simple and insulting that it serves no function other than to fool the player he's playing a 'videogame')

Assassin's Creed is an interactive experience like Journey, where you're transformed into a fantastic beautiful world and you're just effortlessly going with the flow, being mesmerized by the wonderful atmosphere.

That is why I love Assassin's Creed.

That's an interesting way to put it. I'll keep that in mind.

Well you can't really keep that in mind and enjoy it. For those kind of things you either feel it or not as play it. The ambience can't be enjoyed my mentally calculating that it is good ambience to absorb through your retina's. 

Anyways Hitman is coming out. Enjoy dude. You've been waiting for it a long time. 

well try the the third one because it's on the WiiU now and it will have just right the right mix

Above & Beyond

AC II was a multiplatform master piece imo.. so far the best one I've played..and I've only played the first three AC games on the PS3..

mM
Around the Network

I agree with the OP and I've played assassin's creed 1, 2 and liberation they are just 100% average games, I really wanted to like them because im right into the time periods its set in but they are just sooooo boring.

I remember back to when I was so hyped about the first one and even went and pre ordered it got home played it for about 3 hours then quickly took it back. Then I thought maybe I was to harsh so years later I tried the second one and yeah it was much better but still totally average. Now im borrowing liberation off my friend and got upto the swamp area then couldn't handle it anymore so I let my gf give it a try and even she doesn't like it :/

Well interesting note. My son just spilled the damn red kool-aid all over the living room including the cabinet where my games are. Why is this interesting? well I had dug out Assassins Creed and it now has drops of red kool aid on the cover which kinda resembles fake blood splashes (they are near at the bottom). So I'm gonna let it dry like that, makes it look cooler. Now I've got to clean this damn mess up.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

I hate Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Bioshock AND Fallout. Beat THAT!

EDIT: Also Left 4 Dead

Story and environment make up for anything you can ding this series on. Its one of my favorite nonNintendo IPs at this point.

Jay520
didn't you tell me that I need to shut up about how boring Ass Creed is?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=149483&page=1

AC II IS the best in the series, because it was a "good" sequel to the downright awful AC1 , then after that, its just basically the same , ACIII has a lot of variety though, but the combat is still a piece of cake with no sense of achievement, and barely any use for upgrading your weapons and using the items you get, because you can just basically kill them easily, and now they added QTE , to make it even more crap,

Platforming is still the same, keep in mind I dislike simplified platforming (like Uncharted) but this games platforming.... they might as well just tell you to let the controller down and it plays itself for you.

the story tries too hard to be interesting, but Ubisoft's idea of "BUY THE NEXT GAME TO KNOW WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED" annoys the fuck out of me, especially when I don't really want to know because by the time you finish the second game, you'll lose interest of the story, and just to let you know, nothing really happens between ACII and AC Revelations, just one main character dies and they showed this at the very end of revelations and its barely interesting since the ending is like every other AC "BUY THE NEXT GAME TO KNOW WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED!", just so that they can release another overrated Ass Creed the next year.

I am very disappointed that Ubisoft did this with ACIII , they tried to make it like Red Dead Redemption, but failed bad, that game was near perfect, and had one of the best endings in a game, ACIII had a laughable ending, and the gameplay while had "MAOR" stuff, still felt like it was very rushed, and very simplified, and people still buy these overrated games every year, oh well, its their loss, yearly games are always overrated, and rushed, people still have a hard time releasing that