By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: We won't show PS4 until it can demonstrate 'a significant leap'

Will PS4 be alien technology?

Yeah 208 53.06%

No 183 46.68%

Total:391

I don't think they will show PS4 at E3 next year. Probably focus on Vita the most, and then PS3.
I think PS3 still has plenty of gas left in its tank, if you know what I mean

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Around the Network

So they are going to try boast the most powerful system again even though historicly, the the strongest system has always been the one that made the least profit in every generation since NES/ SMS. Good luck with that one Sony.

Mr Puggsly said:
Persistantthug said:

Also,

What are you talking about?  What do you mean the current consoles have "hit a wall"

At E3 We just saw BEYOND, THE LAST OF US, and WATCH DOGS.

Those games were cutting edge and looked GREAT, and everyone says so.....everyone. 

No new consoles needed.

Maybe we should wait for those games to release before we get too excited about the graphics. And bear in mind these same games could look and perform significantly better on more cutting edge hardware.

The lack of four player split screen games alone is proof we need new machines.

Hogwash....

This is NAUGHTY DOG we're talkin about dude.

And Quantic Dream is nothing to sneeze at either, especially considering they already have an AIAS Technical Achievement (the OSCARS of the video game industry in case you aren't familiar) award under their belts.

http://www.interactive.org/awards/award_category_details.asp?idAward=2011&idGameAwardType=102

I mean, are you serious?  You don't trust Naughty Dog?

"The right time to talk about new advances in hardware is when you can demonstrate a significant leap on the current experience, and something that is going to be attractive."

Significant leap ... in input technology and immersion. Brain-Computer-interface confirmed! The PS4 will be the new Wii!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Experience. Key word.

Maybe Sony have something new and cool, ready to show.

Around the Network
Turkish said:
Sony relied heavily on 3rd party exclusives with the PS2, all of them went multiplat this gen wich Sony did not expect, thats why PS3s first years was not so good and the reason they invested much time and money in their first party and 2nd party studios. The efforts are already bearing fruit and it will become even more apparent in the next gen.

I agree on this. Sony makes basically the same experience, Nintendo had with the N64. 3rd-parties going away or multiplat and a much stronger first-party-library is needed. Nintendo developed some IPs back then, as did Sony this gen. Maybe they can utilize this a new strength next gen, in the case of NIntendo they needed a gen more to take back the crown.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

"The right time to talk about new advances in hardware is when you can demonstrate a significant leap on the current experience, and something that is going to be attractive."

Significant leap ... in input technology and immersion. Brain-Computer-interface confirmed! The PS4 will be the new Wii!

God I hope so it's been too long since the first BMI's, it's about time someone made one that really works.

Unfortunately I still think that a reliable one is still 10 years off

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Persistantthug said:

Watch Dogs will end up looking great on consoles just like every other game E3 has ever shown.

The Last Of us is cutting edge, and that's why it was nominated for various best of show awards.

http://www.gamecriticsawards.com/nominees.html

Sorry you can't see that.

>:(

I'm sure watch dogs will look great, but it won't be an improvement on anything we've seen so far on consoles. 

The Last of Us didn't win those best of show awards because it has graphics that are better than anything we've seen before on consoles. It runs on the exactly the same engine as U3 aside from some changes to lighting (changes, not improvements). You really can't argue agaisnt that, it's a fact. Sorry you can't see that.

Andrespetmonkey said:
Persistantthug said:

Watch Dogs will end up looking great on consoles just like every other game E3 has ever shown.

The Last Of us is cutting edge, and that's why it was nominated for various best of show awards.

http://www.gamecriticsawards.com/nominees.html

Sorry you can't see that.

I'm sure watch dogs will look great, but it won't be an improvement on anything we've seen so far on consoles. 

The Last of Us didn't win those best of show awards because it has graphics that are better than anything we've seen before on consoles. It runs on the exactly the same engine as U3 aside from some changes to lighting (changes, not improvements). You really can't argue agaisnt that, it's a fact. Sorry you can't see that.

You seem to have the misunderstanding that a game running on the same engine means its the same two games technically.

No offense, but You clearly do not understand what you're talking about here, I'm afraid.

Persistantthug said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

You seem to have the misunderstanding that a game running on the same engine means its the same two games technically.

No offense, but You clearly do not understand what you're talking about here, I'm afraid.

I think you've misunderstood me. I'm not saying that because it's on the same engine (ND engine) it can't improve visually (technically), I'm saying the engine hasn't been updated/improved in anyway whatsoever, aside from using a different lighting style or something. The game hasn't been improved visually over U3 in any way.

Maybe this will explain it better:

UC = ND engine 1.0

UC2 = ND engine 2.0

UC3 = ND engine 3.1

TLOU = ND engine 3.1 (or 3.2, either way the difference is incredibly small)

See how it isn't a progression as the others were? Looks like we're hitting a wall to me.