By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: We won't show PS4 until it can demonstrate 'a significant leap'

Will PS4 be alien technology?

Yeah 208 53.06%

No 183 46.68%

Total:391
Turkish said:
superchunk said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

$400 hardware that takes a small loss is more than enough for a big jump. That's BF3 on Ultra/1080p at launch specs we're looking at.

That's actually what I'm still betting on with MSony next gen. However the quotes from Sony make me feel like they'll repeat PS3 and Vita with over done hardware at a price point higher than the previous gen.

PS Vita released at the same price point as the PSP. Right now they're making profits on the Vita and even more so on its memory cards.

lol yeah you're right. I always consider the Vita  $300 device due to the damn memory cards. Odd that its sold so much more poorly as compared to its predecessor.

Around the Network
Birimbau said:
Fumanchu said:
After the way things turned out this gen I would query their tactics pricing themselves dearest/most powerful again. Everyone on a gaming website is sure to love it, but the extended market will go for a more modestly priced option, especially if they share >90% gaming libraries.

The biggest mistake Sony made with PS3 was releasing a console with no exclusive, even in 2007, a PS2 was much more attractive than a PS3 because GoW2 was released for PS2 that year, and Xbox 360 already had Gears of War since late 2006. Sony can't make the same mistake again, an Uncharted 4 or GT6 released along with PS4 will help a lot.

This -  Bring Naughty Dog Games,GT6,a J-RPG and the new Guerilla Games IP/Killzone 4 in the release year and you have a good lineup.
All of them work allready on PS4 Games - The only question is if they are ready when its needed and don't release it 5 years after the 1st reveal.

Birimbau said:

1 - Don't expect a PS4 being released before late 2014;
2 - Don't expect a PS4/XBOX720 costing less than $500 at launch.

You're gonna eat your words by next E3 ;)

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
graphics is one of the only advantages Sony can have over Nintendo, they can't risk to lose that

LOL

YukanaSenix said:
Birimbau said:
Fumanchu said:
After the way things turned out this gen I would query their tactics pricing themselves dearest/most powerful again. Everyone on a gaming website is sure to love it, but the extended market will go for a more modestly priced option, especially if they share >90% gaming libraries.

The biggest mistake Sony made with PS3 was releasing a console with no exclusive, even in 2007, a PS2 was much more attractive than a PS3 because GoW2 was released for PS2 that year, and Xbox 360 already had Gears of War since late 2006. Sony can't make the same mistake again, an Uncharted 4 or GT6 released along with PS4 will help a lot.

This -  Bring Naughty Dog Games,GT6,a J-RPG and the new Guerilla Games IP/Killzone 4 in the release year and you have a good lineup.
All of them work allready on PS4 Games - The only question is if they are ready when its needed and don't release it 5 years after the 1st reveal.

I'm not going to say that those games at launch won't help - but spruiking their exclusives as if all conquering doesn't come from a sales perspective.  Even discounting the competitors exclusives, they'll have enough third-party blockbusters (COD, battlefield etc) to reach a wider audience at a cheaper price. 

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Turkish said:
Exactly lol, these guys think Sony will make huge losses just by releasing an expensive PS4. Lets say the parts itself cost 470 bucks and the retail price is $499, that means they'll make 30 bucks on every console sold. How did Nintendo get rich last gen? They didnt even sell 25 million consoles yet they got massive profits out of it.

ehh... ok let's say parts cost 470$. sony sells ps4 for 499$. then you say they make 30 bucks? no. not even close even with rounding :)

the parts have to be put together. the console has to be shipped. you have left out r&d-costs. you have left out marketing. so your calculation seems somehow wrong.

Indeed I base it out entirely on the bill of materials. Components of the 60GB PS3 were worth 840 bucks, cutting the BOM costs with $350 is a big difference.

Birimbau said:
Fumanchu said:

That was really not a mistake, Sony relied heavily on 3rd party exclusives with the PS2, all of them went multiplat this gen wich Sony did not expect, thats why PS3s first years was not so good and the reason they invested much time and money in their first party and 2nd party studios. The efforts are already bearing fruit and it will become even more apparent in the next gen.

PS4 will rock next gen, in the first 2 years it will get:

New Naughty Dog game

New Santa Monica game

New Guerilla Games game

GT6

While the PS3 goes out with a bang with The Last of Us, Beyond, GoW Ascension, The Last Guardian, PS4 takes off with Uncharted 4, Killzone 4 and GT6 =D

superchunk said:
kitler53 said:
superchunk said:
ugh... so PS4 to lose millions for years and cost over $600 at launch?

yes superchunck, that's obviously what was said.  you know, 'cause it would be impossible to improve on 8 year old tech without being both $600 and sold at a massive loss...

Was the PS3 "a significant leap" over the PS2? yes. I rest my case.

as i understand it the most expensive component by far was the inclusion of blu-ray, the ps3 was cheaper than stand alone blu-ray players when it launched at $600 afterall.  your rumors thread says blu-ray will be used in the ps4 instead of some new tech.  that along should make a significant leap without being $600 with massive losses quite probable.

The next Playstation will be called: 'Playstation Leap' 

Andrespetmonkey said:
superchunk said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
superchunk said:
ugh... so PS4 to lose millions for years and cost over $600 at launch?

Who said that?

I'm simply deriving a hypothesis based on the OP based on past experience.

I still think it will be a marginal upgrade with a max price of $400 with very low loss on hardware at launch.

$400 hardware that takes a small loss is more than enough for a big jump. That's BF3 on Ultra/1080p at launch specs we're looking at.

This is my hope. $400 price that takes a small loss according to the classic razor blades model.

A PS4/X720 at $400 launch price in Nov 2013 would allow for a Radeon 7870 GPU which means next gen is 10x 360. Sweet.