By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: We won't show PS4 until it can demonstrate 'a significant leap'

Will PS4 be alien technology?

Yeah 208 53.06%

No 183 46.68%

Total:391

After 7+ years they bloody better be able to show a noticeable improvement over what they have now. And of course they won't release new hardware until they can release something that is noticeably better than what they have currently there is no point otherwise.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

PS4. Big spring in the bottom confirmed! (or maybe 4 smaller springs in the corners)...

tough to do for sony. "significant" leap can mean everything - if sony tells the leap is significant then customers have to do so also. for us,significant would mostly mean "powerhorse". but if they want to build a powerhorse that is significantly better than ps3 they have to either wait or release the console with losses. if they wait ppl could care less about backwards compatibility (which seems to be impossible by now either way) but then it is the same forum-drama as with this generation: "sony lost only because the ps3 was released after x360". don't wanna read it again :)

Turkish said:
Exactly lol, these guys think Sony will make huge losses just by releasing an expensive PS4. Lets say the parts itself cost 470 bucks and the retail price is $499, that means they'll make 30 bucks on every console sold. How did Nintendo get rich last gen? They didnt even sell 25 million consoles yet they got massive profits out of it.

ehh... ok let's say parts cost 470$. sony sells ps4 for 499$. then you say they make 30 bucks? no. not even close even with rounding :)

the parts have to be put together. the console has to be shipped. you have left out r&d-costs. you have left out marketing. so your calculation seems somehow wrong.

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
graphics is one of the only advantages Sony can have over Nintendo, they can't risk to lose that

Yes, this is what I said before, if Sony made a PS4 with the same power of WiiU, for example, probaply they will have a huge fall on next gen, Nintendo has a loyal audience and they can attract them usind different ways to innovate, but, Sony doesn't, they will lose much more on gen if they don't bet on their main advantages: a horsepower console + their first-party studios developing games that take the hardware to its limits.

Around the Network
Birimbau said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
graphics is one of the only advantages Sony can have over Nintendo, they can't risk to lose that

Yes, this is what I said before, if Sony made a PS4 with the same power of WiiU, for example, probaply they will have a huge fall on next gen, Nintendo has a loyal audience and they can attract them usind different ways to innovate, but, Sony doesn't, they will lose much more on gen if they don't bet on their main advantages: a horsepower console + their first-party studios developing games that takes the hardware to its limits.

I agree. Nintendo has its loyal consumers, MS has its loyal Gold subscribers, Sony.. well.... Im not sure about Sony. Ps+ Subscribers? Theres not much of them. 

Yay!!!

After the way things turned out this gen I would query their tactics pricing themselves dearest/most powerful again. Everyone on a gaming website is sure to love it, but the extended market will go for a more modestly priced option, especially if they share >90% gaming libraries.

Fumanchu said:
After the way things turned out this gen I would query their tactics pricing themselves dearest/most powerful again. Everyone on a gaming website is sure to love it, but the extended market will go for a more modestly priced option, especially if they share >90% gaming libraries.

The biggest mistake Sony made with PS3 was releasing a console with no exclusive, even in 2007, a PS2 was much more attractive than a PS3 because GoW2 was released for PS2 that year, and Xbox 360 already had Gears of War since late 2006. Sony can't make the same mistake again, an Uncharted 4 or GT6 released along with PS4 will help a lot.

So it will never be shown?

Guessing i'm about 12 hours late to post that one.

lol...alien technology.