By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: We won't show PS4 until it can demonstrate 'a significant leap'

Will PS4 be alien technology?

Yeah 208 53.06%

No 183 46.68%

Total:391
Mr Puggsly said:
Heavenly_King said:
Mr Puggsly said:
NightDragon83 said:

Guess we won't be seeing the PS4 anytime soon. Even the best looking stuff shown at this year's E3 didn't demonstrate a "significant leap" over the current gen. And yes, that includes the Unreal Engine 4 tech demo. Good luck getting actual games to look that good.

No, its just hype to get people excited about PS4.

UE4 does not look that great.   Luminous engine on the other hand is a BEAST!

Eitherway, the current consoles have pretty much hit a wall. For the past few years the visual improvements haven't been significant.

The only thing holding developers back from giving us significantly better looking games is the limitations of the current hardware.

Incorrect sir.

The thing "holding developers back", as you put it, is BUDGET(as well as a bad economy).

Example?  THE GREATEST PC GAMING stuff you can buy right now, and you still won't be getting NEXT GEN Software.

You've got some PC exclusives, such as DIABLO 3.....a AAA budget game, but guess what?  DIABLO 3 is last gen software tech.

Then you've go other PC exclusives....you've got THE WITCHER 2......BLACKLIGHT.....STAR WARS:TOR....HARD RESET, and the upcoming GUILD WARS 2.

All, nice games for sure, but none of those games is pushing next gen software boundaries.....not a 1.....they are all current gen tech.   If you can come up with 1, you can PM me....but we'll both be waiting a long time.

Considering that developers are having a hell of a time just staying in business right now, then it's not wonder most developers outside of some elite ones that you can count on 1 hand, are saying that they'd like this gen to go on for a bit longer.

Bringing a new consoles sooner rather than later, won't bring 10 times the graphics or 10 times the gameplay, as much as it will bring 10 times the bankruptcy.

Around the Network

I wouldn't mind a well built $600 PS4 from Sony. . Without the extra cost of Blu ray and the Cell it could be a bigger beast then PS3 was-and still make money-lose little on every system. Nintendo is going to go for the Cheapest, MS will go for a mid priced system, Sony might as well go wild and try something new and expensive. (or just end up the 3rd system that does was the other two do, just without Mario and Halo)

Anyways im starting to think 2014 jan-March launch (at least for US-Europe maybe December 2013 for Japan)

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

superchunk said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
superchunk said:
ugh... so PS4 to lose millions for years and cost over $600 at launch?

Who said that?

I'm simply deriving a hypothesis based on the OP based on past experience.

I still think it will be a marginal upgrade with a max price of $400 with very low loss on hardware at launch.

$400 hardware that takes a small loss is more than enough for a big jump. That's BF3 on Ultra/1080p at launch specs we're looking at.

Andrespetmonkey said:

$400 hardware that takes a small loss is more than enough for a big jump. That's BF3 on Ultra/1080p at launch specs we're looking at.

That's actually what I'm still betting on with MSony next gen. However the quotes from Sony make me feel like they'll repeat PS3 and Vita with over done hardware at a price point higher than the previous gen.

superchunk said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

That's actually what I'm still betting on with MSony next gen. However the quotes from Sony make me feel like they'll repeat PS3 and Vita with over done hardware at a price point higher than the previous gen.

Oh OK. I definitely don't think they'll pull a repeat of PS3, they really can only afford to put off the shelf pc parts in it. And I think Vita's not a great comparison, it was the same price as the 3DS when announced, and it's vastly more powerful. I think Durango/Orbis will be similar on power, if the 3DS was similar the Vita than it wouldn't of got that price drop. I could see the highest price point being $450, I highly doubt it'll be priced higher than current gen at launch.

Around the Network
Persistantthug said:

Incorrect sir.

The thing "holding developers back", as you put it, is BUDGET(as well as a bad economy).

Example?  THE GREATEST PC GAMING stuff you can buy right now, and you still won't be getting NEXT GEN Software.

You've got some PC exclusives, such as DIABLO 3.....a AAA budget game, but guess what?  DIABLO 3 is last gen software tech.

Then you've go other PC exclusives....you've got THE WITCHER 2......BLACKLIGHT.....STAR WARS:TOR....HARD RESET, and the upcoming GUILD WARS 2.

All, nice games for sure, but none of those games is pushing next gen software boundaries.....not a 1.....they are all current gen tech.   If you can come up with 1, you can PM me....but we'll both be waiting a long time.

Considering that developers are having a hell of a time just staying in business right now, then it's not wonder most developers outside of some elite ones that you can count on 1 hand, are saying that they'd like this gen to go on for a bit longer.

Bringing a new consoles sooner rather than later, won't bring 10 times the graphics or 10 times the gameplay, as much as it will bring 10 times the bankruptcy.

PC isn't a factor to me. Big budget multiplat games are designed primarily for consoles. Hence, if there were technically superior consoles the PC would also get visually superior games.

I believe the primary reason Diablo 3 has current gen graphics is so that it's accessible to more consumers. I see people playing Diablo 3 on the same old PC or laptop they've had for years. If Blizzard made Diablo 3 with next gen caliber graphics then less people would be able to play it. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems the best selling PC games generally have relatively low requirements. Which make them accessible to more people.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

1 - Don't expect a PS4 being released before late 2014;
2 - Don't expect a PS4/XBOX720 costing less than $500 at launch.

logic56 said:
people in this thread: Sony y you no know you poor and can no afford PS4

Exactly lol, these guys think Sony will make huge losses just by releasing an expensive PS4. Lets say the parts itself cost 470 bucks and the retail price is $499, that means they'll make 30 bucks on every console sold. How did Nintendo get rich last gen? They didnt even sell 25 million consoles yet they got massive profits out of it.

graphics is one of the only advantages Sony can have over Nintendo, they can't risk to lose that

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

superchunk said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

PS Vita released at the same price point as the PSP. Right now they're making profits on the Vita and even more so on its memory cards.