By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Sony bias is reflected in VGChartz news articles

So if MS has only enough news in one given week for say 8 articles and Sony has enough news for say 16, you think we should just omit 8 pieces of Sony news just to make the 360 looks better and make their fans happy?

Uh, I don't see how that is fair or how it makes any sense.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

I would always ask myself "is this news worthy? Does it contribute to anything significant? Do the readers need this? Are we giving a balanced picture here?"

I would not go for it and post everything I liked just because it gives the site hits. I really didn't knew about such a policy, that hits are so important. That's sad.

At the same time most of you people have the nerve to complain that game developers and publishers are repeating the same formula and only think about their sales in front of creativity, originality and artistic integrity.

The 360 community has always been an endangered species here on VGC. I don't see what can be done about it other than doing what the mod team already tries to do: Keep things civil and constructive. They can't force 360 fans to join the web site or contribute to the news section, and it's unfair to penalize Sony or Nintendo fan groups just because the 360 group isn't as enthusiastic as they are. Trying to drag other groups down to the 360's level isn't going to make things better for anybody.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Slimebeast said:
I would always ask myself "is this news worthy? Does it contribute to anything significant? Do the readers need this? Are we giving a balanced picture here?"

I would not go for it and post everything I liked just because it gives the site hits. I really didn't knew about such a policy, that hits are so important. That's sad.

At the same time most of you people have the nerve to complain that game developers and publishers are repeating the same formula and only think about their sales in front of creativity, originality and artistic integrity.

It's not all about site hits!

We don't post any random crap that comes up. But if something is news, it's relevant, a lot of people would want to know about it (Heavy Rain is disproportionately popular on this site), and it will thus direct more traffic to the site, then it's a good thing.

If we wanted hits, aren't there easier ways to do it? Honestly, if we made one "Wii is doomed" article, we would get a million hits in about an hour. But that would be dishonest, and untrue, and unfair to the readers. So, we don't do it.

I challenge you to find one news post, just one, which is concerned with a small feature of a game that nobody cares about.

The fact that there is a lack of 360-related articles is entirely due to the fact that nobody wants to post them, because those people who post don't have very much interest in the 360. Is that the fault of the contributors, or those who could contribute, but can't be bothered? I agree that this is a problem. An over-abundance of PS3-related articles is not a problem. Call me when we start getting articles about the sales of the Hero of Sparta PS3 Mini, because then I'll admit it's an issue.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I knew the success of the PS3 was going to upset the 360 fans. Its simple at this time the PS3 has more going on news wise. You have the continued sales dominations between the HD consoles, exclusive game news, 3rd party game news, Japan Releases which PS3 has much more then 360, DLC news, Bundle news, I mean I could go on, being a suporter of both the PS3 and 360, its more that the PS3 is on Fire at this time, sales are up, and there staying up, lots of great exclusives comming soon, MAG, GOW3, Halo Reach is a ways away. The bottom line is there is much more to talk about PS3 wise. 360 fans don't get upset the 360 has had its share of greatness, now the light is shinning in PS3 thats life.

Around the Network

cry about it

Slimebeast said:
zexen_lowe said:
Slimebeast said:

Okay, but whatever the reason is for the lazyness of your X360 contributors you just need more of them then.

I dont mean that any specific X360 article was missed, not that I know of. I mean that the news are flooded with Sony/PS3 news. Whatever the reason is, it's awkward to read dozens each of GT5, Heavy Rain and God of War artciles in the past few months but only a fraction of that for the high profile X360 games.

It simply is irritating to read through the headlines and see so many articles basically just hyping and promoting Sony and Sony's exclusives, the news section doesn't feel like a news section of a gaming site, it feels like Sony advertisement.

So, you don't see any article we missed, but don't like seeing Sony news? According to you, we haven't avoided posting anything about MS, therefore our number of MS articles is OK, what you want is that we post less Sony news? Why would we stop posting because it irritates you? People read them, people like them, people comment on them, and I don't see it as an overload. What, when there's something new about Gran Turismo 5, I shouldn't post it because I have to think "oh, no, there are many GT news, people won't like reading about something new that wasn't posted", when the hits demonstrate the complete opposite?

Hyping and promoting...you make us seem like we have an agenda. There were more Sony news worth posting, deal with it, if you don't want to read them, just enter the MS section

You do not get the point do you???

There's a difference between one news about a new batch of Mass Effect screenshots or bundle, and 6 or 7 for Heavy Rain.

And okay, if you only go by the hits, that's fine. But maybe you should listen to people who not only cares for hits, but cares about professionalism, fairness and balance?

I can only say that if I was a contributor, I would feel very cheap and dishonest for spamming every batch of new screens I found about my favorite game just because I could. That's very unprofessional in my opinion.

If we missed a worthy MS article for "spamming a HR screenshot news", I'd agree, but in your own words, we don't. There's no "balance", we post what we stumble upon, be it Sony, MS or Ninty, we don't have an indicator that tells us we should post more MS news or less Sony news.

So, by posting new screenshots of HR we're being unprofessional because we posted some before, nevermind that people actually want to see more pics of HR, why would I stop posting things that people want to see.

And as I say, if people thought we were unprofessional, they simply wouldn't read our articles, something that doesn't happen as they're getting more and more views, thus showing people are thinking of us as a serious news site. Hardly "unprofessional"

@ slimebeast: as a news site, basically even the smallest thing could be newsworthy. It's not because bubba 1 doesn't like it, that Bubba 2 might not. So in fact, there is already some selection being done.

Just wanted to point this out.

Total Microsoft related News articles - 3,521

Total Sony related news articles - 3,920

Total Nintendo related news articles - 4,010

Now, take into account that Sony have more consoles on the market than anyone else... The TOTAL numbers difference isn't really as bad as you are making it sound.

kowenicki said:
First and foremost news should be objective and unbiased.

Objective and unbiased, certainly.

Now, let's imagine that you have time to post one news story. You see two interesting stories on N4G/whatever.

-One related to Epic Mickey. A developer interview, with a little new information.

-One related to Halo: Reach. Now, this is just a series of screenshots. They don't show very much.

Now, be completely honest here. Which do you post? If you chose the first, then you should probably be applying for the news team. If you chose the second...well, you could still apply for the news team, because that's relevant, it's related to a popular game, and it's new. Now if the screenshots were six months old and had already been posted, the article could not have been posted.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective