By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Sony bias is reflected in VGChartz news articles

Torillian said:
Slimebeast said:
nordlead said:
blame the Microsoft oriented contributors. I've seen them been brought on the team, but fail to post news, and then dropped off the team because they aren't contributing. By no means has VGChartz not given Microsoft oriented contributors a chance. However, Sony oriented contributors are actually doing their jobs.

If you want to be a news contributor, talk with elgefe.

But Nordlead, u have missed the essence of the problem if that's the only thing u can say.

Is it right that the amount of news should reflect the ratio of fans? Because the Xbox fans have a much much smaller pool of potential recruits.

We do news on a volunteer basis, you can't expect people to go searching for news about stuff they don't really care about if you aren't giving them a sallary.  As Nordlead said, we've brought on 360 contributors specifically to fix this problem and they haven't worked out.  Find us some good 360 oriented contributors and you can singlehandedly fix the problem instead of just lamenting it.

Uhm, that's how most sites of this genre work (aside from the huge ones that can employ people)?

Volunteers are chosen based on their ability to pick news from every angle, not only their own favourite console. That's a wrong way to get people into the team. That's creating problems (like the one slimebeast is pointing out) for yourself imho.

Around the Network

Affirmative action for news on gaming websites. Now that's a new one.

Does this really matter ? If the interesting news are reported, then what's the problem ? should people start to fabricate news because some people think this is some kind of war with different sides ? ... I think not.

If it's a big issue for you, submit news yourself.

Check out my game about moles ^

So if you don't like that the news section is lacking in Xbox news.
Go to a website that focuses more on xbox news.

Problem solved.

darthdevidem01 said:
Slimebeast said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Is that 48 P3 focussed articles or 48 playstation articles?

if its just playstation articles isn't the answer damn obvious? There are 3 PS consoles out right now, 1 Microsoft console

Read the OP thoroughly.

I did, hence my question

if I hadn't have read it, my question wouldn't have been what it was.

it seems you mean PS3 articles

well maybe PS3 has more news right now & finally why is it such a big deal?

lmao oh stop. You didn't fully read the original post in which he clearly states and answers your question.

-----

There's a lot of news that doesn't need to be put in the news section. It is often crowded with miniscule artiles that don't really mean much. We often have a lot of repeat threads in the forums. For example, the weekly sales. You will have actual comments below the sales, the official posting in the news section of about the sales and at least 1 or 2 threads pertaining to the sales in the regular forums. Too much repetitiveness.

Around the Network
papflesje said:
Torillian said:
Slimebeast said:
nordlead said:
blame the Microsoft oriented contributors. I've seen them been brought on the team, but fail to post news, and then dropped off the team because they aren't contributing. By no means has VGChartz not given Microsoft oriented contributors a chance. However, Sony oriented contributors are actually doing their jobs.

If you want to be a news contributor, talk with elgefe.

But Nordlead, u have missed the essence of the problem if that's the only thing u can say.

Is it right that the amount of news should reflect the ratio of fans? Because the Xbox fans have a much much smaller pool of potential recruits.

We do news on a volunteer basis, you can't expect people to go searching for news about stuff they don't really care about if you aren't giving them a sallary.  As Nordlead said, we've brought on 360 contributors specifically to fix this problem and they haven't worked out.  Find us some good 360 oriented contributors and you can singlehandedly fix the problem instead of just lamenting it.

Uhm, that's how most sites of this genre work (aside from the huge ones that can employ people)?

Volunteers are chosen based on their ability to pick news from every angle, not only their own favourite console. That's a wrong way to get people into the team. That's creating problems (like the one slimebeast is pointing out) for yourself imho.

Uh...we do that already. I browse Joystiq every day to find if there's something worthwile, I check this forums (which sometimes have worthy things), I check Gamespot, Kotaku, I check all my PR emails, and if I find something worthwhile, I post it, and I'm sure every other contributor does the same. Yes, Xen may have a kick for posting FF13 news, that doesn't mean he won't post this

Staude said:
Does this really matter ? If the interesting news are reported, then what's the problem ? should people start to fabricate news because some people think this is some kind of war with different sides ? ... I think not.

If it's a big issue for you, submit news yourself.

Exactly, if we are missing news stories that you think should be posted then email the suggestions to us or submit the news yourself.  Looking at the number of news stories reported is meaningless unless you bring us news stories we missed or news stories that were superfluous and should not have been posted.  We aren't going to adjust news simply because you want to see more gree on the front page.  (not directed at you Staude)

zexen_lowe said:
Slimebeast said:
zexen_lowe said:
Slimebeast said:
zexen_lowe said:
Slimebeast said:
zexen_lowe said:

This is ridiculous. It's no one's fault that the three contributors that would have a "MS preference" (I hate to use this term, but let's just say that they'd be more interested in Xbox news than the rest) were all demoted for not posting. Did you apply for the job? Did anyone else apply? No, they didn't. Tough luck. Our three newest additions are Xen, Flow and Havok, they weren't hired for their "console preference", they were hired because we saw they're damn good at writing, and their hiring has proven quite positive. Besides, it's not our fault that no one even cares to submit a user-made news which we'd gladly post.

It's so good to complain when you don't do anything to solve.

Also, limit the amount of news? Don't make me laugh. Why would we limit them? They bring a lot of hits, they're popular, people like them. Let me give you a tip, this site is governed by HITS. News bring HITS. Therefore, more news = good for the site. Suggesting limiting the amount of posted news, is, frankly, a nonsensical idea that's 100% detrimental to the future of this site

I am doing it by starting this discussion.

If it was true that all news brought hits, then I would understand. Money over justice, that's the way it goes pretty much everywhere. But, I doubt you can just spew out news and it automatically generates hits. You mean quality doesn't matter?

Besides, what's the point to scew the user base even more by becoming a totally Sony dominated site?

I say best of both worlds, attract them all, from all three brands.

No, you're just complaining and suggesting unviable solutions (like that nonsensical "news limit" idea). That doesn't help at all. Doing something would be applying, or bringing people to apply.

Yes, quality does matter. Do you have anything to complain about quality? Because it seems to me you haven't yet. To me, you're only complaining about the subject of the news, not the quality itself. The Heavy Rain boxart news I posted yesterday generated almost 5K views, it seems to me that the quality is fine and the views reflect it (and also, that we shouldn't limit our articles because it doesn't cater to your taste).

And frankly, Sony dominated site? You make it sound as if every news that came from MS is purposedly ignoring...did you even use the news contact mail to suggest articles worth posting, something you'd like be posted (I'm not even asking now that you submit the article written). Yeah, I thought you didn't, go figure

You're just defending. If I bring good arguments, I have all the right to 'complain'. You are not to decide if I should become a contributor or not. Besides, u totally miss the point with that reply. Because it's by default hopeless to expect that this matter will be fixed by itself and come naturally from the community - for the very reason that the community itself is heavily dominated by people interested in Sony and the PS3. The change must come from above (or from discussions like this). Who should I recuit if there's no one to recruit!

Depends on what you mean. If you mean contributor to post reviews/features, which are independant of the news team and aren't a subject of this debate, you're right, I have no say. But if you mean if I decide who joins the news team, I don't "decide" it, but I have a voice in it. Who do you think suggested Carl, Flow and Xen join the news team? In the same way, if there was a user who is "MS oriented" and who submits good articles, I would suggest him for promotion, and he'd surely join our news team. But alas, there isn't.

OK, so what do you suggest, that I go to the profile of everyone who owns Halo 3 and post in his wall "do you want to join the news team?"

That would be stupid, wouldn't it.

There are ways much more smooth and smart though. For example, why not a sticky in a forum with the headline "Contributors needed for Xbox", with Naz or some other bigshot authority behind it. Iäve seen it in other forums several times (well, forums with other topics).

Also, in your forums to your own guys, from time to time it could be encouraged simply, like "hey guys... you multi-console owners, please look out for X360 news too guys. It makes the site better."

There was this, and look, I'll even resticky it to make you happy.

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=79543

As for the second part, that doesn't happen? I mean, what do you think we've missed? What article is out there we haven't posted?

Okay, but whatever the reason is for the lazyness of your X360 contributors you just need more of them then.

I dont mean that any specific X360 article was missed, not that I know of. I mean that the news are flooded with Sony/PS3 news. Whatever the reason is, it's awkward to read dozens each of GT5, Heavy Rain and God of War artciles in the past few months but only a fraction of that for the high profile X360 games.

It simply is irritating to read through the headlines and see so many articles basically just hyping and promoting Sony and Sony's exclusives, the news section doesn't feel like a news section of a gaming site, it feels like Sony advertisement.

Bias, on a gaming site? Who knew? Alert the presses!!!!

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

maybe....there is just more PS3 related news?.......ever thought about that