By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Sony bias is reflected in VGChartz news articles

Slimebeast said:
superchunk said:
Maybe its because there hasn't been much overwhelming news for the 360. I mean beyond Natal, what has there really been?

PS has had its own motion plus a few more exclusive games pressing news. On top of that, since the time frame you used, PS3 has been generating a lot of news due to its turnaround in sales after the slim and price cut.

Basically, after E3 it might be very much different with a potential swarm of Natal news.

Well, see that's exactly what happens when people only go to VGC for their gaming news. They get a picture that doesn't reflect reality. And here that picture is that PS3 is the only thing that matters.

ok, so what has been missed? I also read Google's news site everyday and focus on the Tech section especially. I haven't seen anything discussed there that isn't already a news report on here.

Around the Network
zexen_lowe said:
Slimebeast said:
zexen_lowe said:

This is ridiculous. It's no one's fault that the three contributors that would have a "MS preference" (I hate to use this term, but let's just say that they'd be more interested in Xbox news than the rest) were all demoted for not posting. Did you apply for the job? Did anyone else apply? No, they didn't. Tough luck. Our three newest additions are Xen, Flow and Havok, they weren't hired for their "console preference", they were hired because we saw they're damn good at writing, and their hiring has proven quite positive. Besides, it's not our fault that no one even cares to submit a user-made news which we'd gladly post.

It's so good to complain when you don't do anything to solve.

Also, limit the amount of news? Don't make me laugh. Why would we limit them? They bring a lot of hits, they're popular, people like them. Let me give you a tip, this site is governed by HITS. News bring HITS. Therefore, more news = good for the site. Suggesting limiting the amount of posted news, is, frankly, a nonsensical idea that's 100% detrimental to the future of this site

I am doing it by starting this discussion.

If it was true that all news brought hits, then I would understand. Money over justice, that's the way it goes pretty much everywhere. But, I doubt you can just spew out news and it automatically generates hits. You mean quality doesn't matter?

Besides, what's the point to scew the user base even more by becoming a totally Sony dominated site?

I say best of both worlds, attract them all, from all three brands.

No, you're just complaining and suggesting unviable solutions (like that nonsensical "news limit" idea). That doesn't help at all. Doing something would be applying, or bringing people to apply.

Yes, quality does matter. Do you have anything to complain about quality? Because it seems to me you haven't yet. To me, you're only complaining about the subject of the news, not the quality itself. The Heavy Rain boxart news I posted yesterday generated almost 5K views, it seems to me that the quality is fine and the views reflect it (and also, that we shouldn't limit our articles because it doesn't cater to your taste).

And frankly, Sony dominated site? You make it sound as if every news that came from MS is purposedly ignoring...did you even use the news contact mail to suggest articles worth posting, something you'd like be posted (I'm not even asking now that you submit the article written). Yeah, I thought you didn't, go figure

You're just defending. If I bring good arguments, I have all the right to 'complain'. You are not to decide if I should become a contributor or not. Besides, u totally miss the point with that reply. Because it's by default hopeless to expect that this matter will be fixed by itself and come naturally from the community - for the very reason that the community itself is heavily dominated by people interested in Sony and the PS3. The change must come from above (or from discussions like this). Who should I recuit if there's no one to recruit!

superchunk said:
Slimebeast said:
superchunk said:
Maybe its because there hasn't been much overwhelming news for the 360. I mean beyond Natal, what has there really been?

PS has had its own motion plus a few more exclusive games pressing news. On top of that, since the time frame you used, PS3 has been generating a lot of news due to its turnaround in sales after the slim and price cut.

Basically, after E3 it might be very much different with a potential swarm of Natal news.

Well, see that's exactly what happens when people only go to VGC for their gaming news. They get a picture that doesn't reflect reality. And here that picture is that PS3 is the only thing that matters.

ok, so what has been missed? I also read Google's news site everyday and focus on the Tech section especially. I haven't seen anything discussed there that isn't already a news report on here.

Oh com'on. So you mean one article about Mass Effect 2 equals 5-6 articles about new Heavy Rain bundles?

Slimebeast said:
superchunk said:
Slimebeast said:
superchunk said:

Oh com'on. So you mean one article about Mass Effect 2 equals 5-6 articles about new Heavy Rain bundles?

So you're real complaint is that the PS3 news contributors are duplicating articles, not that some news story is being missed.

No offence, but that's kinda silly.

Besides Zexen. Naz among other site leaders have huge authority here. It wouldnt maybe even be needed with a strict limit on the number of articles for each brand (which I agree sounds artificial and awkward). But if they just got aware of the problem, including staff like you, you could restrain yourselves in other ways.

Just as an example out of the year, imagine if Naz said in your invisible staff-forum: "Hey guys, please don't spam the news section with all these PS3 bundles", I am sure that change would happen immediately.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
zexen_lowe said:
Slimebeast said:
zexen_lowe said:

This is ridiculous. It's no one's fault that the three contributors that would have a "MS preference" (I hate to use this term, but let's just say that they'd be more interested in Xbox news than the rest) were all demoted for not posting. Did you apply for the job? Did anyone else apply? No, they didn't. Tough luck. Our three newest additions are Xen, Flow and Havok, they weren't hired for their "console preference", they were hired because we saw they're damn good at writing, and their hiring has proven quite positive. Besides, it's not our fault that no one even cares to submit a user-made news which we'd gladly post.

It's so good to complain when you don't do anything to solve.

Also, limit the amount of news? Don't make me laugh. Why would we limit them? They bring a lot of hits, they're popular, people like them. Let me give you a tip, this site is governed by HITS. News bring HITS. Therefore, more news = good for the site. Suggesting limiting the amount of posted news, is, frankly, a nonsensical idea that's 100% detrimental to the future of this site

I am doing it by starting this discussion.

If it was true that all news brought hits, then I would understand. Money over justice, that's the way it goes pretty much everywhere. But, I doubt you can just spew out news and it automatically generates hits. You mean quality doesn't matter?

Besides, what's the point to scew the user base even more by becoming a totally Sony dominated site?

I say best of both worlds, attract them all, from all three brands.

No, you're just complaining and suggesting unviable solutions (like that nonsensical "news limit" idea). That doesn't help at all. Doing something would be applying, or bringing people to apply.

Yes, quality does matter. Do you have anything to complain about quality? Because it seems to me you haven't yet. To me, you're only complaining about the subject of the news, not the quality itself. The Heavy Rain boxart news I posted yesterday generated almost 5K views, it seems to me that the quality is fine and the views reflect it (and also, that we shouldn't limit our articles because it doesn't cater to your taste).

And frankly, Sony dominated site? You make it sound as if every news that came from MS is purposedly ignoring...did you even use the news contact mail to suggest articles worth posting, something you'd like be posted (I'm not even asking now that you submit the article written). Yeah, I thought you didn't, go figure

You're just defending. If I bring good arguments, I have all the right to 'complain'. You are not to decide if I should become a contributor or not. Besides, u totally miss the point with that reply. Because it's by default hopeless to expect that this matter will be fixed by itself and come naturally from the community - for the very reason that the community itself is heavily dominated by people interested in Sony and the PS3. The change must come from above (or from discussions like this). Who should I recuit if there's no one to recruit!

Depends on what you mean. If you mean contributor to post reviews/features, which are independant of the news team and aren't a subject of this debate, you're right, I have no say. But if you mean if I decide who joins the news team, I don't "decide" it, but I have a voice in it. Who do you think suggested Carl, Flow and Xen join the news team? In the same way, if there was a user who is "MS oriented" and who submits good articles, I would suggest him for promotion, and he'd surely join our news team. But alas, there isn't.

OK, so what do you suggest, that I go to the profile of everyone who owns Halo 3 and post in his wall "do you want to join the news team?"

superchunk said:
Slimebeast said:
superchunk said:
Slimebeast said:
superchunk said:

So you're real complaint is that the PS3 news contributors are duplicating articles, not that some news story is being missed.

No it's not silly.

Maybe the 360 just hasn't had as many newsworthy things happen to it....

Slimebeast said:
Vetteman94 said:
Slimebeast said:
Carl2291 said:
Don't like the news, then submit some yourself.

Don't like the news team, find us some pro-360 people who are good at, or willing enough to find news and write about it.

Oh, and just a few things for this Month to take note on.
Heavy Rain blowouts.
God of War 3 blowouts.

There's been Splinter Cell and Mass Effect blowouts too, it's just that no one posted them.

Since both of those games are on the PC shouldnt they show up under Gaming News and not strictly 360 news, so that wouldnt help your cause either.

Okay, good point. But even if we included the articles that are Xbox360-PC (orange colored), the X360 number of articles would still only be 25 compared to 48 for PS3.

Well, what else have they missed then?  Maybe Microsoft is holding back alot of information and Sony is blowing their wad early in the year.  PS3 has some pretty big exclusive coming up soon, plus alot more information has been released about their motion control, and thats the majority of what I have seen.   That and the ongoing GT5 delay saga.  So not all news is good news.

Most everything that is known about Natal is pretty old information so there is only so much you post of that, and I feel like they are holding back information, which could be a good thing cause it could be megaton type news later in the year closer to release.  The do have some good exclusive games coming out so in that aspect you could complain, but have there been big screenshot blowouts and such like there has for the PS3 games?   If so then there should be something about them.  

Slimebeast said:
superchunk said:
Slimebeast said:
superchunk said:
Slimebeast said:
superchunk said:

No it's not silly.

Is so.