By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Sony bias is reflected in VGChartz news articles

Maybe its because there hasn't been much overwhelming news for the 360. I mean beyond Natal, what has there really been?

PS has had its own motion plus a few more exclusive games pressing news. On top of that, since the time frame you used, PS3 has been generating a lot of news due to its turnaround in sales after the slim and price cut.

Basically, after E3 it might be very much different with a potential swarm of Natal news.

Around the Network
zexen_lowe said:

This is ridiculous. It's no one's fault that the three contributors that would have a "MS preference" (I hate to use this term, but let's just say that they'd be more interested in Xbox news than the rest) were all demoted for not posting. Did you apply for the job? Did anyone else apply? No, they didn't. Tough luck. Our three newest additions are Xen, Flow and Havok, they weren't hired for their "console preference", they were hired because we saw they're damn good at writing, and their hiring has proven quite positive. Besides, it's not our fault that no one even cares to submit a user-made news which we'd gladly post.

It's so good to complain when you don't do anything to solve.

Also, limit the amount of news? Don't make me laugh. Why would we limit them? They bring a lot of hits, they're popular, people like them. Let me give you a tip, this site is governed by HITS. News bring HITS. Therefore, more news = good for the site. Suggesting limiting the amount of posted news, is, frankly, a nonsensical idea that's 100% detrimental to the future of this site

I am doing it by starting this discussion.

If it was true that all news brought hits, then I would understand. Money over justice, that's the way it goes pretty much everywhere. But, I doubt you can just spew out news and it automatically generates hits. You mean quality doesn't matter?

Besides, what's the point to scew the user base even more by becoming a totally Sony dominated site?

I say best of both worlds, attract them all, from all three brands.

I've found that problems and issues tend to go away if you just look the other way. That's how I beat cancer.

superchunk said:
Maybe its because there hasn't been much overwhelming news for the 360. I mean beyond Natal, what has there really been?

PS has had its own motion plus a few more exclusive games pressing news. On top of that, since the time frame you used, PS3 has been generating a lot of news due to its turnaround in sales after the slim and price cut.

Basically, after E3 it might be very much different with a potential swarm of Natal news.

Well, see that's exactly what happens when people only go to VGC for their gaming news. They get a picture that doesn't reflect reality. And here that picture is that PS3 is the only thing that matters.

@CommonMan : you just read one sentence where I said I could love MS and the 360 the same way, I can reformulate :

I'll love MS and the 360 as much as the PS3 and Sony (I don't care about corps) the day they bring the same amount of things I like to the video game industry including :

- opening or funding dev studios, not closing them, not using money to make games being released later on another console (it's called 'timed exclusive', I call it destructive use of money, it produces nothing)

- removing ads

- not making people pay for things that need zero money like peer 2 peer gaming (no server)

- funding genuine artistic projects or ideas which make gaming go further such as : Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, the last guardian, heavy rain, littlebigplanet, okami, patapon... Halo / Gears / shooters #33 are not a very good way to make gaming go further. Though Halo and Gears were great games.

Now, MS sometimes did some of that. I applaud SOME of their efforts but despise the things described above.

I don't hate MS, I just love a lot more what Sony brings to the industry NOWADAYS (emphasis on this word).

Things can change, it depends on what those corp will bring.

In general, I hate corps, I just like what they bring to me. That's the way I judge them, and I'll never be married with them. You may see me one day defend MS, as strange as it may sound.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Carl2291 said:
Don't like the news, then submit some yourself.

Don't like the news team, find us some pro-360 people who are good at, or willing enough to find news and write about it.

Oh, and just a few things for this Month to take note on.
Heavy Rain blowouts.
God of War 3 blowouts.

There's been Splinter Cell and Mass Effect blowouts too, it's just that no one posted them.

Since both of those games are on the PC shouldnt they show up under Gaming News and not strictly 360 news, so that wouldnt help your cause either.

IGN and GameSpot are websites that pay their news contributors and editors a wage. They deliberately try to find professionals who can write articles for different platforms.

On VGC, it's completely open. If you want more 360 article writers, find some and get them to sign up. Though the news articles shouldn't really have any bias; anyone can post any article. Have you considered the possibility that there has just been more Sony-related news in the past three weeks?

If you see an article that isn't on VGC, instead of saying "THE VGC NEWS TEAM IS USELESS FOR NOT FINDING THIS!", how about submitting it? Or apply to join the news team yourself.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Slimebeast said:
zexen_lowe said:

This is ridiculous. It's no one's fault that the three contributors that would have a "MS preference" (I hate to use this term, but let's just say that they'd be more interested in Xbox news than the rest) were all demoted for not posting. Did you apply for the job? Did anyone else apply? No, they didn't. Tough luck. Our three newest additions are Xen, Flow and Havok, they weren't hired for their "console preference", they were hired because we saw they're damn good at writing, and their hiring has proven quite positive. Besides, it's not our fault that no one even cares to submit a user-made news which we'd gladly post.

It's so good to complain when you don't do anything to solve.

Also, limit the amount of news? Don't make me laugh. Why would we limit them? They bring a lot of hits, they're popular, people like them. Let me give you a tip, this site is governed by HITS. News bring HITS. Therefore, more news = good for the site. Suggesting limiting the amount of posted news, is, frankly, a nonsensical idea that's 100% detrimental to the future of this site

I am doing it by starting this discussion.

If it was true that all news brought hits, then I would understand. Money over justice, that's the way it goes pretty much everywhere. But, I doubt you can just spew out news and it automatically generates hits. You mean quality doesn't matter?

Besides, what's the point to scew the user base even more by becoming a totally Sony dominated site?

I say best of both worlds, attract them all, from all three brands.

No, you're just complaining and suggesting unviable solutions (like that nonsensical "news limit" idea). That doesn't help at all. Doing something would be applying, or bringing people to apply.

Yes, quality does matter. Do you have anything to complain about quality? Because it seems to me you haven't yet. To me, you're only complaining about the subject of the news, not the quality itself. The Heavy Rain boxart news I posted yesterday generated almost 5K views, it seems to me that the quality is fine and the views reflect it (and also, that we shouldn't limit our articles because it doesn't cater to your taste).

And frankly, Sony dominated site? You make it sound as if every news that came from MS is purposedly ignoring...did you even use the news contact mail to suggest articles worth posting, something you'd like be posted (I'm not even asking now that you submit the article written). Yeah, I thought you didn't, go figure

mario64 said:

@CommonMan : you just read one sentence where I said I could love MS and the 360 the same way, I can reformulate :

I'll love MS and the 360 as much as the PS3 and Sony (I don't care about corps) the day they bring the same amount of things I like to the video game industry including :

- opening or funding dev studios, not closing them, not using money to make games being released later on another console (it's called 'timed exclusive', I call it destructive use of money, it produces nothing)

- removing ads

- not making people pay for things that need zero money like peer 2 peer gaming (no server)

- funding genuine artistic projects or ideas which make gaming go further such as : Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, the last guardian, heavy rain, littlebigplanet, okami, patapon... Halo / Gears / shooters #33 are not a very good way to make gaming go further. Though Halo and Gears were great games.

Now, MS sometimes did some of that. I applaud SOME of their efforts but despise the things described above.

I don't hate MS, I just love a lot more what Sony brings to the industry NOWADAYS (emphasis on this word).

Things can change, it depends on what those corp will bring.

In general, I hate corps, I just like what they bring to me. That's the way I judge them, and I'll never be married with them. You may see me one day defend MS, as strange as it may sound.

This is not the place to talk about this, so keep it out of the thread

Vetteman94 said:
Slimebeast said:
Carl2291 said:
Don't like the news, then submit some yourself.

Don't like the news team, find us some pro-360 people who are good at, or willing enough to find news and write about it.

Oh, and just a few things for this Month to take note on.
Heavy Rain blowouts.
God of War 3 blowouts.

There's been Splinter Cell and Mass Effect blowouts too, it's just that no one posted them.

Since both of those games are on the PC shouldnt they show up under Gaming News and not strictly 360 news, so that wouldnt help your cause either.

Okay, good point. But even if we included the articles that are Xbox360-PC (orange colored), the X360 number of articles would still only be 25 compared to 48 for PS3.