By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Sony bias is reflected in VGChartz news articles

I'd be happy to sign up as a 360 leaning contributor, as long as you let me post iPhone news too LOL! Where do I submit my portfolio?

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Staude said:
Does this really matter ? If the interesting news are reported, then what's the problem ? should people start to fabricate news because some people think this is some kind of war with different sides ? ... I think not.

If it's a big issue for you, submit news yourself.

Exactly, if we are missing news stories that you think should be posted then email the suggestions to us or submit the news yourself.  Looking at the number of news stories reported is meaningless unless you bring us news stories we missed or news stories that were superfluous and should not have been posted.  We aren't going to adjust news simply because you want to see more gree on the front page.  (not directed at you Staude)

See my reply to Zexen nearby.

I knew most replies would be of the "do it yourself" -nature, but I think it's a bit unfair. I don't have time to browse for news. If I was 18 years old, I swear I would do it. But I still think it's constructive to bring this topic or problem into discussion.

Slimebeast said:

Okay, but whatever the reason is for the lazyness of your X360 contributors you just need more of them then.

I dont mean that any specific X360 article was missed, not that I know of. I mean that the news are flooded with Sony/PS3 news. Whatever the reason is, it's awkward to read dozens each of GT5, Heavy Rain and God of War artciles in the past few months but only a fraction of that for the high profile X360 games.

It simply is irritating to read through the headlines and see so many articles basically just hyping and promoting Sony and Sony's exclusives, the news section doesn't feel like a news section of a gaming site, it feels like Sony advertisement.

So, you don't see any article we missed, but don't like seeing Sony news? According to you, we haven't avoided posting anything about MS, therefore our number of MS articles is OK, what you want is that we post less Sony news? Why would we stop posting because it irritates you? People read them, people like them, people comment on them, and I don't see it as an overload. What, when there's something new about Gran Turismo 5, I shouldn't post it because I have to think "oh, no, there are many GT news, people won't like reading about something new that wasn't posted", when the hits demonstrate the complete opposite?

Hyping and promoting...you make us seem like we have an agenda. There were more Sony news worth posting, deal with it, if you don't want to read them, just enter the MS section

PlaystaionGamer said:
maybe....there is just more PS3 related news?.......ever thought about that

Possibly, but not in the extreme ratio we see on our site. I've followed this for a long time, since VGC started posting news and it's been like this the whole time, with some seasonal fluctuations obviously.

Slimebeast said:

Besides Zexen. Naz among other site leaders have huge authority here. It wouldnt maybe even be needed with a strict limit on the number of articles for each brand (which I agree sounds artificial and awkward). But if they just got aware of the problem, including staff like you, you could restrain yourselves in other ways.

Just as an example out of the year, imagine if Naz said in your invisible staff-forum: "Hey guys, please don't spam the news section with all these PS3 bundles", I am sure that change would happen immediately.

Of course the change would happen immediately. Naznatips is their superior, not technically their boss, but higher ranking in the staff than they are. They listen to him not just because of that, but because he knows what is good for the site.

If Naznatips makes a change related to reviews, which he is the head of, the change takes effect immediately. But I digress.

So, get convincing Naznatips or work your way up to the position of VGC Admin. News is news. I don't see why articles about PS3 bundles offend you so deeply, to be honest. If it's really that repulsive, just don't look at the news!

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
zexen_lowe said:
Slimebeast said:

Okay, but whatever the reason is for the lazyness of your X360 contributors you just need more of them then.

I dont mean that any specific X360 article was missed, not that I know of. I mean that the news are flooded with Sony/PS3 news. Whatever the reason is, it's awkward to read dozens each of GT5, Heavy Rain and God of War artciles in the past few months but only a fraction of that for the high profile X360 games.

It simply is irritating to read through the headlines and see so many articles basically just hyping and promoting Sony and Sony's exclusives, the news section doesn't feel like a news section of a gaming site, it feels like Sony advertisement.

So, you don't see any article we missed, but don't like seeing Sony news? According to you, we haven't avoided posting anything about MS, therefore our number of MS articles is OK, what you want is that we post less Sony news? Why would we stop posting because it irritates you? People read them, people like them, people comment on them, and I don't see it as an overload. What, when there's something new about Gran Turismo 5, I shouldn't post it because I have to think "oh, no, there are many GT news, people won't like reading about something new that wasn't posted", when the hits demonstrate the complete opposite?

Hyping and promoting...you make us seem like we have an agenda. There were more Sony news worth posting, deal with it, if you don't want to read them, just enter the MS section

You do not get the point do you???

There's a difference between one news about a new batch of Mass Effect screenshots or bundle, and 6 or 7 for Heavy Rain.

And okay, if you only go by the hits, that's fine. But maybe you should listen to people who not only cares for hits, but cares about professionalism, fairness and balance?

I can only say that if I was a contributor, I would feel very cheap and dishonest for spamming every batch of new screens I found about my favorite game just because I could. That's very unprofessional in my opinion.

zexen_lowe said:
papflesje said:
Torillian said:
Slimebeast said:
nordlead said:
blame the Microsoft oriented contributors. I've seen them been brought on the team, but fail to post news, and then dropped off the team because they aren't contributing. By no means has VGChartz not given Microsoft oriented contributors a chance. However, Sony oriented contributors are actually doing their jobs.

If you want to be a news contributor, talk with elgefe.

But Nordlead, u have missed the essence of the problem if that's the only thing u can say.

Is it right that the amount of news should reflect the ratio of fans? Because the Xbox fans have a much much smaller pool of potential recruits.

We do news on a volunteer basis, you can't expect people to go searching for news about stuff they don't really care about if you aren't giving them a sallary.  As Nordlead said, we've brought on 360 contributors specifically to fix this problem and they haven't worked out.  Find us some good 360 oriented contributors and you can singlehandedly fix the problem instead of just lamenting it.

Uhm, that's how most sites of this genre work (aside from the huge ones that can employ people)?

Volunteers are chosen based on their ability to pick news from every angle, not only their own favourite console. That's a wrong way to get people into the team. That's creating problems (like the one slimebeast is pointing out) for yourself imho.

Uh...we do that already. I browse Joystiq every day to find if there's something worthwile, I check this forums (which sometimes have worthy things), I check Gamespot, Kotaku, I check all my PR emails, and if I find something worthwhile, I post it, and I'm sure every other contributor does the same. Yes, Xen may have a kick for posting FF13 news, that doesn't mean he won't post this

I merely mentioned it because apparently people were picked for specific parts (sony <=> microsoft). That just seemed like the wrong way to search anyway.

CommonMan said:
I'd be happy to sign up as a 360 leaning contributor, as long as you let me post iPhone news too LOL! Where do I submit my portfolio?

Portfolio? As far as I know, you message Elgefe and say "I can haz news team?"

Or something along those lines. Maybe you'd need to give a sample news article, but contact elgefe02 or zexen_lowe (how lovely, he's in this thread!) for more information.

CommonMan said:

The main thing is testing your writing, go here and submit some articles, if they're good enough, I'll talk to gefe about it. Mind the news rules, cite your source, add images, all like any news post in the site. Any question, PM me or talk to me in AIM (zexen47)

kowenicki said:
Slimebeast said:
Torillian said:
Staude said:
Does this really matter ? If the interesting news are reported, then what's the problem ? should people start to fabricate news because some people think this is some kind of war with different sides ? ... I think not.

If it's a big issue for you, submit news yourself.

Exactly, if we are missing news stories that you think should be posted then email the suggestions to us or submit the news yourself.  Looking at the number of news stories reported is meaningless unless you bring us news stories we missed or news stories that were superfluous and should not have been posted.  We aren't going to adjust news simply because you want to see more gree on the front page.  (not directed at you Staude)

See my reply to Zexen nearby.

I knew most replies would be of the "do it yourself" -nature, but I think it's a bit unfair. I don't have time to browse for news. If I was 18 years old, I swear I would do it. But I still think it's constructive to bring this topic or problem into discussion.

It is constructive, dont worry about it.   

And people saying perhaps the PS3 just has more news!?!? thats just a ridiculous answer.

And it isnt because many many more casual users contribute, more do but not to that extent.

It is mainly because the contributors (official contributors) seek out PS3 news... I dont blame them... it is their console of choice...but they do.   

Hence some 360 news-seeking offcial contributors would be a good addition to the site.

The thing is, we already knew that. And Slimebeast could have simply said that instead of getting offensive and complaining about how VGChartz is Sony-biased.

So in case it wasn't clear before, yes, we want 360-leaning news contributors and 360 reviewers.