By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to announce Switch's successor this FY, Switch 1 Direct coming in June

Announced via Twitter:

"This is Furukawa, President of Nintendo. We will make an announcement about the successor to Nintendo Switch within this fiscal year. It will have been over nine years since we announced the existence of Nintendo Switch back in March 2015. We will be holding a Nintendo Direct this June regarding the Nintendo Switch software lineup for the latter half of 2024, but please be aware that there will be no mention of the Nintendo Switch successor during that presentation."

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 May 2024

Around the Network

Wow I had a feeling they would announce it during this fiscal year report. But this is huge news still shocked considering how quiet things have been

curl-6 said:

Is this the first time Furukawa reached out this directly on twitter? I can only remember "This is Miyamoto" in messages like this.

Expect the announcement of the successor in early 2025 then. Nintendo isn't going to hurt their current console's holiday sales by announcing the successor sooner.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:

Expect the announcement of the successor in early 2025 then. Nintendo isn't going to hurt their current console's holiday sales by announcing the successor sooner.

I agree, launch will also be late 2025. 8.5 years after Switch.

Around the Network

I love that he starts it with "This is Furakawa, President of Nintendo." Like he just randomly hijacked the account to tweet it.

If it might be more than a year till the sucessor I do hope they still have some big titles up there sleeve or it's gonna be a very quiet year.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Farsala said:
RolStoppable said:

If the software and hardware is be ready before the end of the FY, is there any benefit in delaying the launch until the end of the year?

I get that there's usually a notable gap between an announcement and launch, but I don't think the reason for that is that it won't sell out otherwise.

Last edited by Hiku - on 07 May 2024

Hiku said:
Farsala said:

If the software and hardware is be ready before the end of the FY, is there any benefit in delaying the launch until the end of the year?

I get that there's usually a notable gap between an announcement and launch, but I don't think the reason for that is that it won't sell out otherwise.

Summer is just a bad time to launch. Nintendo might be crazy enough to do it, but all console manufacturers want good buzz/news for their brand new console. Delaying the launch for more hype/ games/ polished games and hitting during a good sales period is preferable.

Announcement after Christmas

Release in Q3 ? Probably getting one by mid 2026

Just make it a 2025 release.