By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to announce Switch's successor this FY, Switch 1 Direct coming in June

JRPGfan said:
KLXVER said:

Not sure if there is much to show this time around though. It will be a Switch looking console with better graphics. They dont really need to sell people on the console because we are already sold on it.

If they dont name it something obvious and easy to understand, like switch 2..... they will def. need more time.
Would you rather one last good push for old gen, or a better start for new gen? if you were nintendo?

Well I would try and have both. 

Around the Network
javi741 said:

I see quite a few people stating Nintendo won't fully reveal the Switch 2 in 2024 just cause they don't want to limit the Switch's holiday 2024 sales, but Nintendo multiple times in the past has had a history of revealing their systems before holiday seasons where their main system is still older hardware. The Wii U got shown off E3 2011 a year and a half before it actually launched and before the Wii's last holiday season with Skyward Sword releasing. The 3DS was fully revealed before the last DS's holiday season, it isn't out of character for Nintendo to fully unveil a new console even when they're trying to still keep holiday sales up for their current consoles. A 2024 reveal is still possible especially if we see this launch around March 2025.

This generation has taught us that Nintendo doesn't follow precedent. Nintendo will do what they want in the moment, and that might be fulfilling the forecast of 13.5m Switch, so they might reveal the next gen Switch very late in the FY.

Norion said:
160rmf said:

Views on Twitter are totally meaningless, I can guarantee you that a little bit more than 10% of this number are actually organic and a real target of this post.

But I agree that the full reveal will definitely have a huge impact and draw a lot of attention for Nintendo and that maybe can affect positively the Switch. Though if they have a respectable lineup for the second half, great deals and a new SKU, they wont need to resort on that

The news will still spread around a lot but if that's the case then ignore the twitter views part.

They definitely don't need to reveal it this year and could do it January but from a personal perspective I really hope it happens within a few months since I really wanna see it. I expected it to release late this year but if not even the announcement happens this year then that'll be getting cruel lol.

I feel you, for me that thing would be revealed yesterday lol

We reap what we sow

Farsala said:
RolStoppable said:

Expect the announcement of the successor in early 2025 then. Nintendo isn't going to hurt their current console's holiday sales by announcing the successor sooner.

I agree, launch will also be late 2025. 8.5 years after Switch.

Not so sure about a late 2025 launch. They could be moving into Apple-style shorter announcement-circles.

We know that this thing has been shopped around behind closed doors for quite a while by now, bigger companies likely have dev kits in hand already, and from Iwatas comments back in 2014 about where the Nintendo ecosystem is headed, I think they want to make sure that the transition between systems is smooth for developers. Iwata specifically mentioned iOS and Android as examples for good practice as software platforms unifying a diverse hardware ecosystem.

I think it’s possible that the successors software is heavily based on the switches OS (and with the Hardware coming from NVIDIA again, chances are it’s going to be hardware compatible as well), making it easier for developers to port their games over and support both systems simultaneously. 

So taking all that into account, we can assume that there’s going to be a decent amount of software ready at launch, so they might have a significantly shorter circle from announcement to release again. It worked for them with the Switch and they might make it even shorter for the Switches successor.

Chrkeller said:

My wishlist is BC and 1080p/60 fps for 1st party titles.

Ninetndo will do as they always do and base it off the game. Mario/Smash/Kart will be 60fps, new zelda/xenoblade etc will be 30fps.

I do wander what they will do with BC, whether they'll allow native boots or try and repackage the game. Doubt I'll go back to play it but BOTW/TOTK will be a dream at 1440p60fps

Around the Network

Way too many people are sticking to hopes and desires instead of reality. They could have easily said announcement coming this year instead of the fiscal year. That right there tells us it's likely coming after the holiday because the holiday quarter will be crucial in meeting their goal. It does seem likely the successor is releasing holiday 2025 which I first saw Zhuge hint towards when talking about the Super Mario Bros 2 movie coming in April 2026. Releasing Switch 2 with a brand new 3D Mario and tons of 3rd party titles in holiday 2025 and then Mario Kart X in the Spring 2026 with the movie could be huge causing tons of synergy. Pokemons 30th anniversary would be that year as well and would be a great holiday 2026 title. So in the first 12 months of Switch 2 could be 3D Mario, Mario Kart X, and Pokemon Gen 10 as the headliners.

Farsala said:
javi741 said:

I see quite a few people stating Nintendo won't fully reveal the Switch 2 in 2024 just cause they don't want to limit the Switch's holiday 2024 sales, but Nintendo multiple times in the past has had a history of revealing their systems before holiday seasons where their main system is still older hardware. The Wii U got shown off E3 2011 a year and a half before it actually launched and before the Wii's last holiday season with Skyward Sword releasing. The 3DS was fully revealed before the last DS's holiday season, it isn't out of character for Nintendo to fully unveil a new console even when they're trying to still keep holiday sales up for their current consoles. A 2024 reveal is still possible especially if we see this launch around March 2025.

This generation has taught us that Nintendo doesn't follow precedent. Nintendo will do what they want in the moment, and that might be fulfilling the forecast of 13.5m Switch, so they might reveal the next gen Switch very late in the FY.

Hmmm, Nintendo have been pretty consistent this generation in making smart business decisions. It's less about following precedent and more about following sense. Nintendo will prioritise the perfect launch of the Switch 2 (the future of their business) over squeezing an extra 1m units out of the Switch this holiday, and that means announcing it when is most beneficial to the new platform. I'll comfortably bet:

A spring 2025 launch means a fall 2024 reveal.
Autumn 2025 launch means early 2025 reveal.

If you have a product releasing early in the new year, you want awareness of it before your potential audience invests elsewhere, even if that means in one of your own products. Someone who just bought a PS5 or PS5 Pro in December will be less likely to buy a Switch 2 in Summer 2025, someone who just spent $300 on an OLED Switch this holiday will be less likely to be an early adopter for Switch 2.

Last edited by Otter - on 08 May 2024

Phenomajp13 said:

Way too many people are sticking to hopes and desires instead of reality. They could have easily said announcement coming this year instead of the fiscal year. That right there tells us it's likely coming after the holiday because the holiday quarter will be crucial in meeting their goal. It does seem likely the successor is releasing holiday 2025 which I first saw Zhuge hint towards when talking about the Super Mario Bros 2 movie coming in April 2026. Releasing Switch 2 with a brand new 3D Mario and tons of 3rd party titles in holiday 2025 and then Mario Kart X in the Spring 2026 with the movie could be huge causing tons of synergy. Pokemons 30th anniversary would be that year as well and would be a great holiday 2026 title. So in the first 12 months of Switch 2 could be 3D Mario, Mario Kart X, and Pokemon Gen 10 as the headliners.

I agree with everything said except Gen 10 Pokémon. Game Freak usually waits a year before bringing their games to the next new console.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Darwinianevolution said:

I imagine it will be a next year release around summer like the Switch, though I wonder what they'll do with the launch titles. Switch had a heavy hitter per month during its first year, a good chunk of them being WiiU ports, now that that move is not possible, they might not have such a strong first year lineup.

What is your definition of heavy hitter? I don’t really consider games like ARMS, Pokken Tournament, Fire Emblem Warriors or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to be heavy hitters.

Switch’s first year lineup was a big hitter per quarter (Q1-Zelda, Q2-Mario Kart, Q3-Splatoon, Q4-3D Mario) and 1-2 small/medium size titles to fill in the gaps. It also didn’t have that many Wii U ports in its first year, it had BoTW as a cross-gen release but Mario Kart 8 and Pokken were the only late ports.

Switch definitely had a great first year lineup but I think some people on this site are remembering it as being more stacked than it really was. Also Switch 2 doesn’t necessarily have to have as stacked as a 1st year lineup as Switch 1 did. Switch was a new concept coming off the failure of Wii U and mediocre performance of 3DS, it had to come out guns blazing.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Phenomajp13 said:

Fiscal year is very typical for investor calls and as always things are not set in stone including potential for the system to be delayed and thus the announcement. The framing also doesn't induce any questions of the system releasing this year. If Nintendo said the console was being announced this year, they would be a flurry of speculation it is a holiday release. They've specified Junes Direct will not feature it but that leaves the whole second half of the year lol