By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to announce Switch's successor this FY, Switch 1 Direct coming in June

javi741 said:

I see quite a few people stating Nintendo won't fully reveal the Switch 2 in 2024 just cause they don't want to limit the Switch's holiday 2024 sales, but Nintendo multiple times in the past has had a history of revealing their systems before holiday seasons where their main system is still older hardware. The Wii U got shown off E3 2011 a year and a half before it actually launched and before the Wii's last holiday season with Skyward Sword releasing. The 3DS was fully revealed before the last DS's holiday season, it isn't out of character for Nintendo to fully unveil a new console even when they're trying to still keep holiday sales up for their current consoles. A 2024 reveal is still possible especially if we see this launch around March 2025.

This is right since while a reveal would damage sales this year they've already talked about the successor so damage has already been done on that front since the knowledge of it coming out next year is gonna spread far. A reveal this year would not only be possible but even expected assuming an early 2025 release though them waiting till January is a possibility since nowadays only two months would be enough time but I don't expect them to wait till then.

Around the Network
javi741 said:

The Wii U got shown off E3 2011 a year and a half before it actually launched and before the Wii's last holiday season with Skyward Sword releasing. The 3DS was fully revealed before the last DS's holiday season, it isn't out of character for Nintendo to fully unveil a new console even when they're trying to still keep holiday sales up for their current consoles. 

And that turned out so well for then right? That were different times, now you don't need that much time to build anticipation for the next system 

What we learned from history is that Nintendo don't follow any pattern 

Norion said:

This is right since while a reveal would damage sales this year they've already talked about the successor so damage has already been done on that front since the knowledge of it coming out next year is gonna spread far. A reveal this year would not only be possible but even expected assuming an early 2025 release though them waiting till January is a possibility since nowadays only two months would be enough time but I don't expect them to wait till then.

There's a difference in impact, when you make a small announcement that will probably be eclipsed by a Direct next month showing what could be an incredible last 2nd half for Switch. Showing the new system before the holidays would be totally pointless, because once again it would shift the focus to the successor but at the wrong time 

Last edited by 160rmf - on 07 May 2024

We reap what we sow

160rmf said:
Norion said:

There's a difference in impact, when you make a small announcement that will probably be eclipsed by a Direct next month showing what could be an incredible last 2nd half for Switch. Showing the new system before the holidays would be totally pointless

There's a difference yeah though I don't think it'll be that significant considering how widespread the news is gonna be. The twitter thread alone already has tens of millions of views and it hasn't even been 24 hours yet. And it wouldn't be totally pointless since a new system getting shown off with an amazing looking new 3D Mario game will cause a significant boost of excitement towards Nintendo and could potentially impact their stock. The reveal is gonna be massive gaming news so the impact on holiday sales isn't the only factor for determining when the best time to reveal it is.

Honestly, just hearing Nintendo straight up acknowledge the successor and put a timeline on it after years of refusing to do so feels exciting to me.
I love my Switch, but I'm ready for what comes next, and to see what Nintendo and their partners can achieve with more modern hardware.

It's also nice to have confirmation of a Direct next month; their lineup is looking awfully sparse so hopefully this will fill it out a lot; god knows they're going to need it if they really want to ship 13.5 million Switches in its 8th year.

ALinkInTime said:

I think we'll see the full Switch successor reveal in January. Let the Switch have one last holiday season fully to itself.

That leaves only 3 months to market the Switch successor before its launch.
I think its earlier on than that.

It wont effect sales that much, and it might be better to lose abit of the old gen sales, to have better running start for the new.
Atleast thats how I view it, and nintendo probably do as well.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
javi741 said:

I see quite a few people stating Nintendo won't fully reveal the Switch 2 in 2024 just cause they don't want to limit the Switch's holiday 2024 sales, but Nintendo multiple times in the past has had a history of revealing their systems before holiday seasons where their main system is still older hardware. The Wii U got shown off E3 2011 a year and a half before it actually launched and before the Wii's last holiday season with Skyward Sword releasing. The 3DS was fully revealed before the last DS's holiday season, it isn't out of character for Nintendo to fully unveil a new console even when they're trying to still keep holiday sales up for their current consoles. A 2024 reveal is still possible especially if we see this launch around March 2025.

Not sure if there is much to show this time around though. It will be a Switch looking console with better graphics. They dont really need to sell people on the console because we are already sold on it.

If they dont name it something obvious and easy to understand, like switch 2..... they will def. need more time.
Would you rather one last good push for old gen, or a better start for new gen? if you were nintendo?

Norion said:
160rmf said:

There's a difference in impact, when you make a small announcement that will probably be eclipsed by a Direct next month showing what could be an incredible last 2nd half for Switch. Showing the new system before the holidays would be totally pointless

There's a difference yeah though I don't think it'll be that significant considering how widespread the news is gonna be. The twitter thread alone already has tens of millions of views and it hasn't even been 24 hours yet. And it wouldn't be totally pointless since a new system getting shown off with an amazing looking new 3D Mario game will cause a significant boost of excitement towards Nintendo and could potentially impact their stock. The reveal is gonna be massive gaming news so the impact on holiday sales isn't the only factor for determining when the best time to reveal it is.

Views on Twitter are totally meaningless, I can guarantee you that a little bit more than 10% of this number are actually organic and a real target of this post.

But I agree that the full reveal will definitely have a huge impact and draw a lot of attention for Nintendo and that maybe can affect positively the Switch. Though if they have a respectable lineup for the second half, great deals and a new SKU, they wont need to resort on that

We reap what we sow

160rmf said:
Norion said:

Views on Twitter are totally meaningless, I can guarantee you that a little bit more than 10% of this number are actually organic and a real target of this post.

But I agree that the full reveal will definitely have a huge impact and draw a lot of attention for Nintendo and that maybe can affect positively the Switch. Though if they have a respectable lineup for the second half, great deals and a new SKU, they wont need to resort on that

The news will still spread around a lot but if that's the case then ignore the twitter views part.

They definitely don't need to reveal it this year and could do it January but from a personal perspective I really hope it happens within a few months since I really wanna see it. I expected it to release late this year but if not even the announcement happens this year then that'll be getting cruel lol.

I imagine it will be a next year release around summer like the Switch, though I wonder what they'll do with the launch titles. Switch had a heavy hitter per month during its first year, a good chunk of them being WiiU ports, now that that move is not possible, they might not have such a strong first year lineup.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

My wishlist is BC and 1080p/60 fps for 1st party titles.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC