By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to announce Switch's successor this FY, Switch 1 Direct coming in June

Otter said:
Phenomajp13 said:

Way too many people are sticking to hopes and desires instead of reality. They could have easily said announcement coming this year instead of the fiscal year. That right there tells us it's likely coming after the holiday because the holiday quarter will be crucial in meeting their goal. It does seem likely the successor is releasing holiday 2025 which I first saw Zhuge hint towards when talking about the Super Mario Bros 2 movie coming in April 2026. Releasing Switch 2 with a brand new 3D Mario and tons of 3rd party titles in holiday 2025 and then Mario Kart X in the Spring 2026 with the movie could be huge causing tons of synergy. Pokemons 30th anniversary would be that year as well and would be a great holiday 2026 title. So in the first 12 months of Switch 2 could be 3D Mario, Mario Kart X, and Pokemon Gen 10 as the headliners.

Fiscal year is very typical for investor calls and as always things are not set in stone including potential for the system to be delayed and thus the announcement. The framing also doesn't induce any questions of the system releasing this year. If Nintendo said the console was being announced this year, they would be a flurry of speculation it is a holiday release. They've specified Junes Direct will not feature it but that leaves the whole second half of the year lol 

My speculation is that they’ll announce it early 2025.

Now for this second half of 2024, what do we all expect it to contain? I have a list (and posted it 2x already though with other context and other topics along with it, so I won’t post it again)

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network
Shtinamin_ said:
Otter said:

Fiscal year is very typical for investor calls and as always things are not set in stone including potential for the system to be delayed and thus the announcement. The framing also doesn't induce any questions of the system releasing this year. If Nintendo said the console was being announced this year, they would be a flurry of speculation it is a holiday release. They've specified Junes Direct will not feature it but that leaves the whole second half of the year lol 

Now for this second half of 2024, what do we all expect it to contain? I have a list (and posted it 2x already though with other context and other topics along with it, so I won’t post it again)

If Metroid Prime4 is crossgen, I expect a first trailer this Direct with a release year of 2025. Just as BotW had its name reveal at E3 2016, with a 2017 release window. If its Switch1 only, also a definitive with October/November 2024 release date.

If Metroid Prime4 does not show up this direct, it's going to be Switch2 only game. But with Nintendo calling out Prime4 for years in their financial reports I believe this has low probability. Therefore I think Metroid Prime4 is a given.

------

I expect something Zelda. Wind Waker HD & Twilight Princess HD though use Wii U Mii-verse functionality (bottles, stamps, respectively), so they would not be 'simple ports'. It would require rework.

Also a bundle of these 2 games is out of the question, because of different age ratings. I cannot see Nintendo bundling Wind Waker with Twilight Princess and then needing a Teen age rating for both. It would therefore be one of them if any...but...

I actually expect it's a higher probability we get A Link Between Worlds, possibly bundled with Triforce Heroes.

Tober said:
Shtinamin_ said:

If Metroid Prime4 is crossgen, I expect a first trailer this Direct with a release year of 2025. Just as BotW had its name reveal at E3 2016, with a 2017 release window. If its Switch1 only, also a definitive with October/November 2024 release date.

If Metroid Prime4 does not show up this direct, it's going to be Switch2 only game. But with Nintendo calling out Prime4 for years in their financial reports I believe this has low probability. Therefore I think Metroid Prime4 is a given.

------

I expect something Zelda. Wind Waker HD & Twilight Princess HD though use Wii U Mii-verse functionality (bottles, stamps, respectively), so they would not be 'simple ports'. It would require rework.

Also a bundle of these 2 games is out of the question, because of different age ratings. I cannot see Nintendo bundling Wind Waker with Twilight Princess and then needing a Teen age rating for both. It would therefore be one of them if any...but...

I actually expect it's a higher probability we get A Link Between Worlds, possibly bundled with Triforce Heroes.

I enjoy reading your speculation and analysis of what could be. 
Personally, I do expect MP4 announcement this June Direct, with a release in October.

The successor will be B/C so I’m not worried about if it will be a cross-gen.

Oooo I had totally forgotten the idea of having LoZ remakes. And yes I agree that WW and TP would not be bundled together.

Maybe we could see Mario remakes with the Wonder Seed?

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

SuperNova said:
Farsala said:

I agree, launch will also be late 2025. 8.5 years after Switch.

Not so sure about a late 2025 launch. They could be moving into Apple-style shorter announcement-circles.

We know that this thing has been shopped around behind closed doors for quite a while by now, bigger companies likely have dev kits in hand already, and from Iwatas comments back in 2014 about where the Nintendo ecosystem is headed, I think they want to make sure that the transition between systems is smooth for developers. Iwata specifically mentioned iOS and Android as examples for good practice as software platforms unifying a diverse hardware ecosystem.

I think it’s possible that the successors software is heavily based on the switches OS (and with the Hardware coming from NVIDIA again, chances are it’s going to be hardware compatible as well), making it easier for developers to port their games over and support both systems simultaneously. 

So taking all that into account, we can assume that there’s going to be a decent amount of software ready at launch, so they might have a significantly shorter circle from announcement to release again. It worked for them with the Switch and they might make it even shorter for the Switches successor.

I hope dev kits have been in developers' hands for a while now. Games take years to make these days, and while the Switch 2 will have the benefit of immediate publisher confidence that the Switch didn't, it won't have the benefit of a pipeline of a dozen Wii U ports to fill gaps between entirely new games.

Darwinianevolution said:

I imagine it will be a next year release around summer like the Switch, though I wonder what they'll do with the launch titles. Switch had a heavy hitter per month during its first year, a good chunk of them being WiiU ports, now that that move is not possible, they might not have such a strong first year lineup.

burninmylight said:
SuperNova said:

Not so sure about a late 2025 launch. They could be moving into Apple-style shorter announcement-circles.

We know that this thing has been shopped around behind closed doors for quite a while by now, bigger companies likely have dev kits in hand already, and from Iwatas comments back in 2014 about where the Nintendo ecosystem is headed, I think they want to make sure that the transition between systems is smooth for developers. Iwata specifically mentioned iOS and Android as examples for good practice as software platforms unifying a diverse hardware ecosystem.

I think it’s possible that the successors software is heavily based on the switches OS (and with the Hardware coming from NVIDIA again, chances are it’s going to be hardware compatible as well), making it easier for developers to port their games over and support both systems simultaneously. 

So taking all that into account, we can assume that there’s going to be a decent amount of software ready at launch, so they might have a significantly shorter circle from announcement to release again. It worked for them with the Switch and they might make it even shorter for the Switches successor.

I hope dev kits have been in developers' hands for a while now. Games take years to make these days, and while the Switch 2 will have the benefit of immediate publisher confidence that the Switch didn't, it won't have the benefit of a pipeline of a dozen Wii U ports to fill gaps between entirely new games.

Your concerns about the Switch successor's first year line up is sound but at the same time, it is clear the "delayed" release of the new console is also because they exactly want to have a solid first year line up. 

Nintendo is definitely not eager to the point of repeating the WiiU 1st year path. 

Anywoo, I'll expect the 3rd party effort on the next console to support adequately it's success early on, if it's a fairly good effort from them. Technically Nintendo wouldn't need to go on with the 4 big first party hitter strategy if they can get one or two of those from devs like Capcom (MH Wilds ?) or anything else.

Personally, I do think a new 3D Mario and Mario Kart 9 or whatever are sure given for the first year. Just these 2 will be great enough to assure a good first year showing from them, nonetheless if they have other games also coming in that first year (Metroid Prime 4, new Monolith Soft project ?, etc...)

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

I would expect this to be announced next year. If it was this year, you figure they'd announce it at the June Direct.

Hopefully Nintendo has been manufacturing switch 2 units for a while now and will have millions available for launch. I do not want to see another ps5 situation where the hardware is hard to get for 2 years.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

JWeinCom said:

I would expect this to be announced next year. If it was this year, you figure they'd announce it at the June Direct.

They wouldn't. All of the hardware manufacturers have made a point of having specific showcases to properly reveal their new consoles. It makes sense to separate it from showcases of your old system/games. 

When the Switch 2 is revealed, it & its games will be the sole news coming from Nintendo on that day, no need to dilute that with Switch Autumn and Holiday titles etc

Chrkeller said:

Hopefully Nintendo has been manufacturing switch 2 units for a while now and will have millions available for launch. I do not want to see another ps5 situation where the hardware is hard to get for 2 years.

They are unlikely to do that as hardware sitting, doing nothing hits the financial books pretty hard.  Say it costs $200 per unit to manufacture and they have 2 million ready.  That's a $400 million hit on the FY.  That runs contrary to their projects for the year.  There is also the standard expectation that the BoM (Build of Materials - the cost for all pieces that make the device) would be cheaper in time.  Meaning that $200 BoM now might be $175 later. 

Ideally, you want mass production to begin about 4 months prior to launch.  That gives you a couple of million units at launch with enough shipment time to hit stores.  You don't take the unnecessary FY hit and your BoM is likely cheaper per unit.

If I recall, Sony's situation was due to inadequate supply from a couple of vendors and they were locked into those supply deals. Nintendo has already diversified much of their supply chain starting from the Switch so it's likely the successor will have the same or even better supply diversification.

All numbers are speculation and are used merely for explanation.

Otter said:
JWeinCom said:

They wouldn't. All of the hardware manufacturers have made a point of having specific showcases to properly reveal their new consoles. It makes sense to separate it from showcases of your old system/games. 

When the Switch 2 is revealed, it & its games will be the sole news coming from Nintendo on that day, no need to dilute that with Switch Autumn and Holiday titles etc

Yes, but that showcase to reveal their new console could have been the June direct.