By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to announce Switch's successor this FY, Switch 1 Direct coming in June

Hiku said:
Farsala said:

I agree, launch will also be late 2025. 8.5 years after Switch.

If the software and hardware is be ready before the end of the FY, is there any benefit in delaying the launch until the end of the year?

I get that there's usually a notable gap between an announcement and launch, but I don't think the reason for that is that it won't sell out otherwise.

You know what would be crazy, when they announce it and show everything about it, they ended the direct with available in stores right now. Then watch all the fans run to shops to buy one lol.

(but sadly shop employees wouldn't be able to keep their mouth shut, so I don't think that would happen as it wouldn't be able to be kept as a secret)

Around the Network

Based on the recent rumours this should mean an announcement during the 2nd half of this year for a March release. The next Nintendo direct getting a month set for it this far in advance is certainly a nice surprise since before that would only happen with E3 but that's gone now. Hopefully they do the same for all future major directs.

Cobretti2 said:
Hiku said:

If the software and hardware is be ready before the end of the FY, is there any benefit in delaying the launch until the end of the year?

I get that there's usually a notable gap between an announcement and launch, but I don't think the reason for that is that it won't sell out otherwise.

You know what would be crazy, when they announce it and show everything about it, they ended the direct with available in stores right now. Then watch all the fans run to shops to buy one lol.

(but sadly shop employees wouldn't be able to keep their mouth shut, so I don't think that would happen as it wouldn't be able to be kept as a secret)

that wouldn’t just be crazy, that’d potentially be suicidal for the system’s launch. Have we forgotten about the Sega Saturn? (though I do agree…it’d be impossible for that to happen without a massive leak exposing everything.)

I'm ready. Switch has been nice but I'm ready for higher resolution and fps.

firebush03 said:
Cobretti2 said:

that wouldn’t just be crazy, that’d potentially be suicidal for the system’s launch. Have we forgotten about the Sega Saturn? (though I do agree…it’d be impossible for that to happen without a massive leak exposing everything.)

I think the Sega situation was a bit different as the brain was wired differently. Post iphone's first launch, lot of mentality has changed (well here at least). People seem to want quick self gratification an show boating they have the best and latest over waiting and working towards something. 

But you would need a standout launch line up and enough supply to make it doable. I lost interest in PS5 and the XBOX as stock issues and by the time I could get one was like 2 years in lol. Eventually I ended up getting a PS5 but only for my race sim setup, don't even know what other game are out on it as stopped following when hardware was too hard to get.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
Hiku said:

Sega did that with the Saturn. It didnt end well...

RolStoppable said:

Expect the announcement of the successor in early 2025 then. Nintendo isn't going to hurt their current console's holiday sales by announcing the successor sooner.

He already confirmed an announcement is coming in the fiscal year. While waiting later will help Switch, how much could it help? I know a lot of people are not as tuned in as us, but the talk is going to spread like wildfire that the Switch successor is now all but confirmed to release in 2025. That has to affect Switch sales at least somewhat. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Farsala said:
Hiku said:

Summer is just a bad time to launch. Nintendo might be crazy enough to do it, but all console manufacturers want good buzz/news for their brand new console. Delaying the launch for more hype/ games/ polished games and hitting during a good sales period is preferable.

I was thinking around the same time as Switch 1, which was in early March.
The end of their FY is March 31, so they'd have Switch 2 on the books for the entire next FY, like they did with the original Switch.

Farsala said:
RolStoppable said:

Expect the announcement of the successor in early 2025 then. Nintendo isn't going to hurt their current console's holiday sales by announcing the successor sooner.

Nintendo seems to have had better success with early year launches.
That way, first buyers (early adopters), arn't takeing up all the stock, come holidays, wasteing the first one for the console.
I honestly think xbox and playstation should be copying that.

Besides its already been 8 years and 2 months  (it launched in march 3rd, 2017).
2017,2018,2019,2020,2021,2022,2023,2024 + 2 months.

Late 2025, would almost be 10years between consoles.
Nintendo doesn't have to wait that long.

Like if the hardware is ready (and supposedly by rumors its been so, for almost a year), and they feel like the time to launch the successor is now...
They probably will do so soon.

The question is if they launch this year, holidays... or early next year.
Do they go back to late year launch, or continue what worked for them last time?

I think 2025, feb-march launch is more likely tbh.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 07 May 2024

JRPGfan said:
Farsala said:

Nintendo seems to have had better success with early year launches.
That way, first buyers (early adopters), arn't takeing up all the stock, come holidays, wasteing the first one for the console.
I honestly think xbox and playstation should be copying that.

Besides its already been 8 years and 2 months  (it launched in march 3rd, 2017).
2017,2018,2019,2020,2021,2022,2023,2024 + 2 months.

Late 2025, would almost be 10years between consoles.
Nintendo doesn't have to wait that long.

Like if the hardware is ready (and supposedly by rumors its been so, for almost a year), and they feel like the time to launch the successor is now...
They probably will do so soon.

The question is if they launch this year, holidays... or early next year.
Do they go back to late year launch, or continue what worked for them last time?

I think 2025, feb-march launch is more likely tbh.

They don't have to wait so long, but they could coast if they want.

From a player's perspective, I hope it's March 2025 or at most slightly later. Switch hardware is really outdated and unless Nintendo has some unannounced bangers (the unannounced titles are probably small to mdi tier Nintendo releases) for Switch from the second half of 2024 onward, the software would go out with a whimper.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima