By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 15, 2024 (Apr 08 - Apr 14)

Nice to see It Takes Two randomly enter the top 10. Definitely one of the best games I've ever played.

Around the Network

Switch just had it's second best week 15, and it's in its eighth year. The Switch isn't going anywhere baby! Go Switch Go!!

zorg1000 said:
Shtinamin_ said:

35M is a good floor. Personally, I think Switch will end up selling 38.08M in Japan.
5.43M to go. I can see that being reached in a minimum of 3 years. This year will end with Japan selling more than 3M, and the 2.43M will be met in the 2 years after the successor releases.

35M is very achievable. 38.08M could become a challenge depending on Nintendo.

That’s oddly specific

Ok. Is there anything wrong with having a 38.08M prediction for total Switch units sold in Japan in its lifetime? What’s yours?

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Chicho said:

What the heck was happening with Xbox during those three months last year?

Shortages

Around the Network
Chicho said:

Shortages

Kind of weird that Xbox would have production issues, considering they have to produce only a fraction of what the others produce.

Shtinamin_ said:

Ok. Is there anything wrong with having a 38.08M prediction for total Switch units sold in Japan in its lifetime? What’s yours?

The wrong is the exact to the point prediction. For milions, it's literally gambling to predict up to the thousands. That's why most of the people predict rounded numbers - 35, 34, 36, 38 if you want. To be exact accurate on thousands is pure gambling. This is the oddity. For bigger numbers like worldwide ones, especially above 100M for example, to me pointing at even round number such as 120-140-150-160M can be gambling too if you are not at the end of the road and real close to the end of a console. That's why I like to give ranges for example, for the bigger numbers when we are still far from them. But to point number up to the thousands is just another level. You can't pinpoint up to the decimals, thousands or hundreds like that cuz the chances are pretty much none existent that you will be right in the end.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

Is there any other releases in Japan announced that could really bolster Playstation 5 sales? The only one I can think of is Monster Hunter Wilds, buts that's for another year.

JWeinCom said:
Chrkeller said:

I love MK but I do not understand how it is still selling.

Hardware sales are 71,000. Most of those are probably new users. They're going to want a game to play with their new game system. Doesn't seem unlikely that somewhere around 1/5 of them would choose Mario Kart as that game.

Fair and sound logic.  I can't really make a counter position.  I guess my view is the switch astounds me at this point.  Just keeps going.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

chakkra said:
Chicho said:

Shortages

Kind of weird that Xbox would have production issues, considering they have to produce only a fraction of what the others produce.

It's probably less a problem of production shortages, and more that there simply were not enough consoles on shelves anymore. Keep in mind that ships need months to deliver consoles from the production sites to the stores depending on where they are, and that in general production batches are allocated before they are produced, so there were simply not enough allocated to Japan until the stores ran out of consoles and needed to wait for months to be restocked.