By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 54.8 Million Units as of December 2023, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 Sales Top 10M

XtremeBG said:
Zyphe said:

Looks like the "HD Twins" (PS5 & XSX) are going nose dive into a rude awakening. I think with thinning profit margins for Playstation and a revised Xbox Business, we're now going to see the real shift of strategies for both companies for the coming years. Facts.

The HD twins are PS3&360. Don't tarnish the memory of those beloved by everyone consoles, and indispatably the best generation there can be and the real power and potential of both Sony and Microsoft shown, with that mediocre presence hybrid of consoles PS5&XBSX, which are nothing compared to the real HD twins. PS4 and XB1 are somewhere in the middle, but from gen to gen since 7th gen, console gaming is going only down. The peak was 360&PS3, by every possible factor there can be (maybe only hardware sales combined - for now at least). So those you can name "4K twins" or maybe "runner up to 4K twins" something like that. This gen compare to other console generations, for now it's maybe the worst, by every factor. And no xbox throwing the towel or selling worse than XB1 has nothing to do with this. The original XBOX sold 24M lifetime and even that gen was very strong. But "HD twins" is now a classic and a legend name, reserved for the best console generation of all time, and for the best consoles, by every factor - PS3&360. (I am talking purely for the standart console model here and the main competitors from the last few gens. Not putting Nintendo anywhere, as they are their own thing. So they are good in their own way).

And in the end I am posting some very adequate video here, the guy is very right:

Lets see what switch 2 does. it might not have exclusives for several years, probably not but who knows. In the end games are taking too long to make because of graphics being so advanced, switch doesn't have to deal with that yet but switch 2 will. As for exclusives i really don't care i think any console or even PC is enough for any gamer unless you game 30-40 hours a week. As a person who only has enough time for one console i'll take the powerful console so i can play most games with better graphics and frames which will make them a much better experience.

I can pretty much sum this "review" as "this generation sucks because there are no exclusives" and i got to tell you that I don't think that I personally ever cared about having 3 other boxes beside my pc or had any issue with other players having access to a game I find good.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 14 February 2024

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
Chrkeller said:

Feels like most gamers are not interested in high end power and are happy with ps4 like graphics. Implies to me that Sony needs to think outside the box with the ps6.

Chrkeller said:

Perhaps.  Just between Switch sales and GPU use via steam surveys it does feel like power isn't a driver like it used to be.  I don't personally fall into that camp, but that seems like the trend.  

I'm surprised at how many people were still using 1070s and 2070s.  I wasn't satisfied with my 4070 which rips a 2070 apart.  

Just let me pull out $2000 in pocket change for that 4090. GPU prices have been out of control for years and years.

As some have mentioned already, the main problem is price. I was finally considering buying a Slim during the holidays, but that was anticipating a $399 price. When they not only didn't drop the price $100 or even $50, but raised the digital price by $50, I was like nope, guess I'll keep waiting.

Same with Plus. 35% price hike all at once, supposedly due to inflation? Nope, not happening. I downgraded to Essential.

The type of people buying present gen consoles going forward are mostly casuals who don't have oodles of money lying around. They're the type of people who buy because the Slim version is out and is cheaper. In this case those people have been hurting financially for quite some time and the future don't look so peachy right now, so they would already question a $399 console purchase and aren't going to entertain one that's still $499.

Unless XB nukes their future console plans, leading to automatic PS5 sales because of it, SNY will have to drop hardware prices sooner than later.

I'm also waiting for my all matte black SKU. PS can sell red, blue, and green plates all they want, but white, black (and grey) should be available stock.

Who is suggesting everyone needs a 4090?  My personal preference is my own.  I was simply stating even PC users are sticking with old hardware.  And I get it, gpu prices are crazy.  There is still a lot of 1000 and 2000 series in use.  

And I do think pricing was a big part of the switch's success.  S2, if Nintendo is smart, should be $350 to $400.

I think we are saying the same thing, market dynamics have shifted.  Sony will need to adjust.  Instead of a ps5 pro....  a ps5 series s.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 14 February 2024

Some of these numbers and quotes are definitely alarming for what's coming on the next fiscal year or even he current end of it.

Diminishing 1st party software sales, which was almost solely carried by Spiderman 2.
The absence of said 1st party software for the upcoming fiscal year, wtf ?!

Hardware taking a huge forecasting hit going from their best selling fiscal year to just equal the PS4's, if it doesn't get lower ....

Decreasing operating income despite the increase of revenue.

I understand the last year and some of the record breaking sales for the PS5 put people in confidence for Sony to meet their forecast but I think they just realized the overall demand of their market at the current price point the console is at right now.

I guess it is why following the Holiday period, we got bundles with discounts to them and discounts for PS5 stocks in some parts of Europe yet again as of now. They completely overestimated the real demand.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

It's the economy games, stupid!

Quite a lot of disappointment here, both in review and in the outlook for the next fiscal year. But PS fans should be happy that Jim Ryan resigned on his own and will end his reign of "let's do what Microsoft does", so maybe the next guy will be able to tell that that isn't a good strategy.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:

We have to see what's happens with switch 2 cause the industry could be in really trouble if that doesn't do great.

I think Nintendo's greatest opportunity (and really, any video game console's) is to come in cheaper than expected - much like the NES and Wii in their eras (and to a lesser extent, the PSX). I don't think it's happening because of the inflation rates from 2020 to 2022 when everyone still sees 2007-2017 as normal prices. Things are going to be more expensive than what most people expect.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

zeldaring said:

We have to see what's happens with switch 2 cause the industry could be in really trouble if that doesn't do great.

I think Nintendo's greatest opportunity (and really, any video game console's) is to come in cheaper than expected - much like the NES and Wii in their eras. I don't think it's happening because of the inflation rates from 2020 to 2022 when everyone still sees 2007-2017 as normal prices.

But I don't think this decline is too concerning or unexpected (yet). The PS-style of console has been on the decline since PS2. Sony will probably change course when it becomes necessary for them to do so. We know Nintendo has no issue changing course, and are usually quite successful.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
zeldaring said:

I think Nintendo's greatest opportunity (and really, any video game console's) is to come in cheaper than expected - much like the NES and Wii in their eras. I don't think it's happening because of the inflation rates from 2020 to 2022 when everyone still sees 2007-2017 as normal prices.

But I don't think this decline is too concerning or unexpected (yet). The PS-style of console has been on the decline since PS2. Sony will probably change course when it becomes necessary for them to do so. We know Nintendo has no issue changing course, and are usually quite successful.

it was in decline cause xbox was doing much better. now xbox is dead, and sony profits margins are very thin so They will focus on keeping hardware price up. this business is rough unless your nintendo  

Sony President looking over at Helldivers 2 success on PC lol

zeldaring said:

I expected much better from spiderman 2. Like it didn't even beat ragnarok during the holidays.

Consoles sales are really slowing down considering Xbox is tanking these shipments are not impressive at all.

Calendar year sales are higher than the past 2 years

PS5: 22.70 million
NSW: 16.81 million
XBS: 7.60 million est.
Total: 47.11 million

NSW: 19.01 million
PS5: 14.80 million
XBS: 8.70 million est.
Total: 42.51 million

NSW: 23.67 million
PS5: 11.50 million
XBS: 9.50 million est.