By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 54.8 Million Units as of December 2023, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 Sales Top 10M

Soundwave said:

25 million was a bit of an insane target for Sony anyway ... they've never really been able to top 20 mill/year with any consistency, that's Nintendo's territory to be able to do that when they get hot, Sony can't pull it off.

I don't think it was a insane target at all when you consider Xbox ain't doing nothing. I think switch selling so great this year which was unexpected really effected sony goal.

Around the Network

Sony in its earnings call stated PlayStation 5 sales did not meet expectations over the holidays and have lowered their forecast for the PS5 for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2024 by four million units from 25 million units down to 21 million units. So they expecting to ship 4.6 million PS5s for the current fiscal year.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Sony has revised their forecast to 21M PS5's for FY23.

That's a lot higher than I expected after these results lol. It feels like more discounts are on the way for PS5.

PotentHerbs said:

Sony has revised their forecast to 21M PS5's for FY23.

That's a lot higher than I expected after these results lol. It feels like more discounts are on the way for PS5.

Agreed. Only way I see them hitting their forecast is more discounts or even a permanent price cut. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 14 February 2024

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Agreed. Only way I see them hitting their forecast is more discounts or even a permanent price cut. 

I can't imagine a permanent price cut just yet. I feel like Sony is saving that until they reveal the PS5 Pro. 

Around the Network

almost 60 million by the end of the fiscal year. I believe the PS5 could have a strong 2024. The PS5 will probably surpass the 3DS by the end of the year

Looks like the "HD Twins" (PS5 & XSX) are going nose dive into a rude awakening. I think with thinning profit margins for Playstation and a revised Xbox Business, we're now going to see the real shift of strategies for both companies for the coming years. Facts.

Sony is expecting PlayStation 5 hardware sales to decline year-over-year and has no major first-party releases from existing IP for the next fiscal year, which runs from April 2024 to March 2025. Not looking good for PS5 hardware sales. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 14 February 2024

What is happening with Sony studios? Where is Naught Dog, Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, Bluepoint, Bend Studio?

trunkswd said:

Sony is expecting PlayStation 5 hardware sales to decline year-over-year and has no major first-party releases from existing IP for the next fiscal year, which runs from April 2024 to March 2025. Not looking good for PS5 hardware sales. 

What is happening with Sony studios? Where is Naught Dog, Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, Bluepoint, Bend Studio?