By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 54.8 Million Units as of December 2023, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 Sales Top 10M

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 Ships 54.8 Million Units as of December 2023

Sony Interactive Entertainment in its financial results announced it has shipped 54.8 million PlayStation 5 consoles as of December 31, 2023.

With 54.8 million PlayStation 5 consoles shipped through the end of December that means 8.2 million units were shipped from October to December. This is up 1.1 million from the same quarter in 2022.

For reference, the PlayStation 4 had shipped 9.7 million units in the same quarter for a lifetime total of 57.3 million units shipped as of December 31, 2016. This puts the PS5 behind shipped PS4 units by 2.5 million units.

There were a total of 89.7 million games sold on the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 for the quarter. This is up 3.2 million from 86.5 million during the same period a year earlier. Digital sales accounted for 66 percent of software sales.

There were 16.2 million first-party games sold across the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4. This is down 4.6 million from 20.8 million a year ago.

There were 123 million monthly active users on the PlayStation Network, an increase of 11 million from 112 million a year ago. Sony did not disclose the number of PlayStation Plus subscribers. It was at 47.4 million at the end of March 2023.

Sony's Game & Network Services Segment for the quarter ending December 31, 2023, reported revenue increased 197.9 billion yen ($1.31 billion) year-over-year to 1,444.4 billion yen ($9.59 billion), while operating income decreased 30.1 billion yen ($0.20 billion) to 86.1 billion yen ($0.57 billion).

Sony in its earnings call stated PlayStation 5 sales did not meet expectations over the holidays and have lowered their forecast for the PS5 for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2024 by four million from 25 million units to 21 million units. With 16.4 million shipped through the first three quarters that would mean Sony expects to ship 4.6 million units in the January to March quarter.

Sony is expecting PlayStation 5 hardware sales to decline year-over-year and has no major first-party releases from existing IP for the next fiscal year, which runs from April 2024 to March 2025.

"Sales are expected to be lower than the November forecast, mainly due to an expected decrease in sales of hardware resulting from lower unit sales, partially offset by the impact of foreign exchange rates and an expected increase in sales of non-first-party titles including add-on content," reads the report from Sony.

"Operating income and Adjusted OIBDA are expected to remain unchanged from the November forecast mainly due to the impact of the above-mentioned increase in sales of non-first-party titles, substantially offset by an expected increase in losses from hardware mainly due to promotions."

Last edited by trunkswd - on 14 February 2024

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Link to the VGChartz article here.

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 Sales Top 10 Million Units

Publisher Sony Interactive Entertainment and developer Insomniac Games announced Marvel's Spider-Man 2 has sold over 10 million units worldwide as of February 4, 2024.

This figure is up from five million units sold as of October 30, 2023 and 2.5 million units sold in the first 24 hours.

Read details on the game below:

Spider-Men Peter Parker and Miles Morales face the ultimate test of strength inside and outside the mask as they fight to save the city, each other, and the ones they love, from the monstrous Venom and the dangerous new symbiote threat.

Explore an expansive Marvel’s New York with faster web-swinging and the all-new Web Wings, quickly switching between Peter and Miles to experience different stories, epic new abilities and high-tech gear.

Wield Peter’s symbiote abilities and Miles’ explosive bio-electric powers in battle against new and iconic Marvel Super Villains—including an original take on a symbiote-infused Venom, the ruthless Kraven the Hunter, the volatile Lizard, and more from the Marvel Rogues’ Gallery.

Feel the true power of Spider-Man in your hands!

• Haptic Feedback  Experience the full force of Peter’s and Miles’ new abilities at your fingertips with responsive vibrations.
  • Adaptive Triggers – Master acrobatic moves, execute thrilling combos, and discover the breathtaking excitement of web-swinging traversal.

Live the Super-Hero life!

• Tempest 3D AudioTech – Pinpoint the sounds of webs, bio-electric powers, bustling traffic, responsive New Yorkers, and dangerous enemy attacks.
  • Stunning Visuals – Explore beautifully vibrant new environments and locations, including Brooklyn and Queens, Coney Island, and more.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I expected much better from spiderman 2. Like it didn't even beat ragnarok during the holidays.

Consoles sales are really slowing down considering Xbox is tanking these shipments are not impressive at all.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 14 February 2024

Underwhelming holiday quarter for Sony. Its tapped out at its current price.

The trajectory went from peak PlayStation FY to maybe contending with the PS4's peak FY.

Doesn't look like PS5 will come close to Sony's 25 mill target.

Think the reality of inflation plus no more cheap borrowing for a lot of people is starting to hit the game industry. 

Around the Network

PS5 is at 16.4 million shipped through the first 3 quarters of the current fiscal year. No way is Sony hitting its 25 million forecast for the PS5 as they would need to ship 8.6 million from January to March, which is more than they shipped during the holiday quarter. At this point I could see 20-21 million.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 14 February 2024

I said it a couple of times before, the system could be in higher demand but not at $499/€549/¥67000/£480.

It’s going into its 4th year. They need to cut the price.

kazuyamishima said:

I said it a couple of times before, the system could be in higher demand but not at $499/€549/¥67000/£480.

It’s going into its 4th year. They need to cut the price.

At this point the price is higher than at launch in most of the world. The PS5 "slim" should have seen the price cut, but I guess Sony wanted to get as much out of it at a higher price before dropping the price. PS5 should be down to $400 for the standard model at this point. 

Soundwave said:

Doesn't look like PS5 will come close to Sony's 25 mill target.

Think the reality of inflation plus no more cheap borrowing for a lot of people is starting to hit the game industry. 

Agreed I see a huge decline for gaming this gen. Free money is over, and what's happening in the US is unsustainable. Buying a home is now impossible for most people, this bubble is about burst.

Let's keep in mind this is with Xbox tanking. If Xbox was tanking so hard these numbers would not be bad.

25 million was a bit of an insane target for Sony anyway ... they've never really been able to top 20 mill/year with any consistency, that's Nintendo's territory to be able to do that when they get hot, Sony can't pull it off.