By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Nintendo users only buy Nintendo games on Nintendo systems" How true was this?

TeachMeHisty said:

Speaking of, the Switch keeps getting every new MK, every  new NBA 2K, every new MLB The Show, and so on, whereas the Wii U did not. So clearly some big publishers are satisfied with their sales.

Dont these games have a lot of microtransactions in them? Might have something to do with why they continue to get released on Switch

Are there other big(ger) games who do the same but without the microtransactions?

Which bigger game series forego the MTX? We have FIFA, CoD, AssCreed - they all have MTX.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
burninmylight said:

^This. Comparing a years-late port of games like Witcher 3 or obviously watered down ports that advertise it as such right on the box like "Legacy Edition" FIFA is straight-up strawmanning. Compare the Switch to games it got day and date with other platforms like Mortal Kombat 11.

Speaking of, the Switch keeps getting every new MK, every  new NBA 2K, every new MLB The Show, and so on, whereas the Wii U did not. So clearly some big publishers are satisfied with their sales.

NBA and MLB are mandated to be on all platforms from the license holder. And how do you expect a Switch port to not be watered down? Only if they released a watered down version for everyone.

NBA and MLB weren't on WiiU, so clearly there are exception to *all* platforms.

And is Monster Hunter Rise watered down? Or Zelda? Or Xenoblade? Clearly you can do good games on Switch.

One thing I overlooked before: multiplatform games that do release on Switch usually do better there than XBox. Yet XBox gets all the third-party directly without asterisks. So it has nothing to do with publishers making fewer sales there.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

DonFerrari said:
burninmylight said:

^This. Comparing a years-late port of games like Witcher 3 or obviously watered down ports that advertise it as such right on the box like "Legacy Edition" FIFA is straight-up strawmanning. Compare the Switch to games it got day and date with other platforms like Mortal Kombat 11.

NBA and MLB are mandated to be on all platforms from the license holder. And how do you expect a Switch port to not be watered down? Only if they released a watered down version for everyone.

Then why weren't they on the 3DS and Wii U? Why didn't the NBA mandate that EA must put NBA Live '19 on the Switch?

Why don't you show your sources?

And yes, AAA Switch games are watered down compared to other modern consoles. Nice burn, you really got me there. The point was that those FIFA "Legacy Editions" weren't just simply the same game with lowered specs, they were versions of the game running on an old engine that just featured roster updates and minor changes. That's like if EA put out a version of Madden still running on whatever engine they were using in the PS360 days and just updated rosters and jerseys. That's less even less incentive to get the Switch version than normal.

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

NBA and MLB weren't on WiiU, so clearly there are exception to *all* platforms.

And is Monster Hunter Rise watered down? Or Zelda? Or Xenoblade? Clearly you can do good games on Switch.

One thing I overlooked before: multiplatform games that do release on Switch usually do better there than XBox. Yet XBox gets all the third-party directly without asterisks. So it has nothing to do with publishers making fewer sales there.

MLB only started being multiplatform recently (even X1 and Series didn't have port of MLB), NBA I don't know if there was none, but I know that Fifa had one (and possibly the agreement with Fifa was that at least one entry needed to be done).

Sure there are exceptions, and that decision is from the license holder not EA/Sony, etc.

Compared to the technical aspects of games on Series and PS yes all of them are watered down.

Xbox gets port because it is easy to make the port from PC to Xbox.

burninmylight said:
DonFerrari said:

Then why weren't they on the 3DS and Wii U? Why didn't the NBA mandate that EA must put NBA Live '19 on the Switch?

Why don't you show your sources?

And yes, AAA Switch games are watered down compared to other modern consoles. Nice burn, you really got me there. The point was that those FIFA "Legacy Editions" weren't just simply the same game with lowered specs, they were versions of the game running on an old engine that just featured roster updates and minor changes. That's like if EA put out a version of Madden still running on whatever engine they were using in the PS360 days and just updated rosters and jerseys. That's less even less incentive to get the Switch version than normal.

3DS isn't a console and the license holders decide where they mandate it being put.

You want sources for what exactly?

Of course the Legacy Edition used the older engine. All Fifa (and other sports) entries for a long long time have been same base game with updated roster and a few touched up points either on graphic or gameplay, so why would they instead of picking the older engine that was already working would pick the new engine and butcher it up to the point of it running on Switch?

Unreal Engine 5 is released and several companies still use UE4, there were games launched in 2021 that still used UE3 for crying out loud. Bethesda is using basically the same engine for like 20 years.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

NBA I don't know if there was none, but I know that Fifa had one (and possibly the agreement with Fifa was that at least one entry needed to be done).

DonFerrari said:

So in other words, you're just making shit up without an ounce of proof, and you can't understand why anyone would want you to provide some sources on your claims.

DonFerrari said:

3DS isn't a console and the license holders decide where they mandate it being put.

Lol, here we go with the classic, "Handhelds aren't consoles when they don't fit my narrative" fallacy again. It's an electronic device that plays video games that require development time and budget just like any other console. It's got plenty of games on it that both its publisher and third parties included in their financial reports and decided whether and how to support it based on forecasts and projections. Many of those games share the same name as games on other consoles, and some are practically the same game. Some, like Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and Batman Arkham Origins had their own original versions that the publishers felt confident enough in to greenlight.

The 3DS is a console, one that plenty of publishers saw fit to put their games on. No publisher would tell Nintendo to their face that it wasn't. So why weren't those sports games

To further back up that point with FACTS, you said: "I know that Fifa had one (and possibly the agreement with Fifa was that at least one entry needed to be done)", and "3DS isn't a console and the license holders decide where they mandate it being put."

So... if EA was only contractually obligated to fart out one FIFA game per console, what are all of those above? Fan mods? And we know EA's relationship with Nintendo... and it was the license holder for FIFA during those years...

So what's your new spin for why Nintendo consoles keep getting new releases for games from big publishers if Nintendo users only buy Nintendo games?

Around the Network

I don't know whether to feel proud or disappointed that the guy making claims he can't substantiate just walked away from this thread like it never existed.

burninmylight said:
DonFerrari said:

NBA I don't know if there was none, but I know that Fifa had one (and possibly the agreement with Fifa was that at least one entry needed to be done).

DonFerrari said:

So in other words, you're just making shit up without an ounce of proof, and you can't understand why anyone would want you to provide some sources on your claims.

DonFerrari said:

Lol, here we go with the classic, "Handhelds aren't consoles when they don't fit my narrative" fallacy again. It's an electronic device that plays video games that require development time and budget just like any other console. It's got plenty of games on it that both its publisher and third parties included in their financial reports and decided whether and how to support it based on forecasts and projections. Many of those games share the same name as games on other consoles, and some are practically the same game. Some, like Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and Batman Arkham Origins had their own original versions that the publishers felt confident enough in to greenlight.

The 3DS is a console, one that plenty of publishers saw fit to put their games on. No publisher would tell Nintendo to their face that it wasn't. So why weren't those sports games

To further back up that point with FACTS, you said: "I know that Fifa had one (and possibly the agreement with Fifa was that at least one entry needed to be done)", and "3DS isn't a console and the license holders decide where they mandate it being put."

So... if EA was only contractually obligated to fart out one FIFA game per console, what are all of those above? Fan mods? And we know EA's relationship with Nintendo... and it was the license holder for FIFA during those years...

So what's your new spin for why Nintendo consoles keep getting new releases for games from big publishers if Nintendo users only buy Nintendo games?

Handhelds are obviously consoles, dont let yourself get triggered by that.

But arent legacy editions basically just updates of the teams?

If the FIFA mandates the publisher to release at least 1 game, then it that one is guaranteed to exist.

For the others, they probably exist, because they are only legacy editions. Would be stupid to not release a somewhat selling game, if you're going to re-release the same game with just a database update at almost no additional cost besides printing and shipping that thing.

TeachMeHisty said:
burninmylight said:
DonFerrari said:

Handhelds are obviously consoles, dont let yourself get triggered by that.

But arent legacy editions basically just updates of the teams?

If the FIFA mandates the publisher to release at least 1 game, then it that one is guaranteed to exist.

For the others, they probably exist, because they are only legacy editions. Would be stupid to not release a somewhat selling game, if you're going to re-release the same game with just a database update at almost no additional cost besides printing and shipping that thing.

"Triggered" is not the reaction I had to it, but I appreciate that you're looking out for my best interests.

To answer your question, if it would be stupid not to release a legacy edition on the 3DS, then why wasn't the Wii U getting legacy editions of Madden and FIFA? EA could have just as easily shit out legacy editions of FIFA and Madden on that console every year, but it didn't. Before anyone mentions the whole relationship breakdown between EA and Nintendo over the Wii U's network, keep in mind that the 3DS is just as much of a Nintendo product.

On top of that, why did the 3DS get unique versions of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Arkham, Ghost Recon and a port of Metal Gear Solid 3, while the Wii U got diddly squat from those IPs outside of a launch window port of Arkham City? It took more work for the devs to create either original games or work with inferior hardware than it would have taken to port the respective games of those IP from PS360 to Wii U.

In forum after forum in those days exactly a decade ago, you all said it's because the Wii U doesn't sell and people don't buy such games on Nintendo consoles. The 3DS sold decently enough and its third-party support was decent enough to be decently supported by 3DS players. Even moreso with the Switch: publishers feel confident enough in the consumer base to greenlight new games, annual sports, and miracle ports where feasible.

You can't say Nintendo users only buy Nintendo games, just the significant and tremendous majority of them do. If you need 1000s of games to equal the sales of only 50, that's all the proof you need.

And now Kingdom Come: Deliverance has a release date for the Switch. Look at that, another impossible port that the publisher doesn't have any contractual obligations to release for a console that supposedly no one buys third party games for. The game industry must love wasting its time and money, because the Switch keeps getting games that you all keep saying it has no business getting.