By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Nintendo users only buy Nintendo games on Nintendo systems" How true was this?

So true my friend everyone complains about the switch getting these game.  But people still buy these games. 

burninmylight said:

And now Kingdom Come: Deliverance has a release date for the Switch. Look at that, another impossible port that the publisher doesn't have any contractual obligations to release for a console that supposedly no one buys third party games for. The game industry must love wasting its time and money, because the Switch keeps getting games that you all keep saying it has no business getting.

BiON!@ 

Around the Network

I never believed in the "impossible" to port stance. Anything can be ported. Just a matter of time and sacrifices. Especially in today's gaming where games are scalable. The 1080 still runs most games, just at low settings. Alan Wake 2 was paced for better performance on old GPUs. Given the cost of high performance I get people want to stick with their rigs for a long time before upgrading.

hellobion2 said:

So true my friend everyone complains about the switch getting these game.  But people still buy these games. 

burninmylight said:

And now Kingdom Come: Deliverance has a release date for the Switch. Look at that, another impossible port that the publisher doesn't have any contractual obligations to release for a console that supposedly no one buys third party games for. The game industry must love wasting its time and money, because the Switch keeps getting games that you all keep saying it has no business getting.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that if we're going to make sales comparisons, it should be for games that released at the same time as other versions.

I couldn't find sales data for Immortals: Fenyx Rising, but plenty of sites quote Ubisoft as being pleased with sales of the Switch version: https://gamerant.com/immortals-fenyx-nintendo-switch-sales/

Starlink: Battle for Atlas flopped super hard, but that doesn't change the fact that it fared far better on the Switch than other platforms (boosted by having access to the Star Fox IP): https://www.vgchartz.com/article/393757/starlink-battle-for-atlas-sells-an-estimated-87089-units-first-week-at-retail/

Mortal Kombat 11 was the best-selling game on Switch in the month it released. I'm still going to assume that it didn't sell as well as other consoles and PC, but WB felt good enough about MK11 sales to give us MK1 about the same time as other versions: https://nintendoeverything.com/warner-bros-exec-initially-had-some-concerns-that-mortal-kombat-11-was-too-mature-for-switch/

Chrkeller said:

I never believed in the "impossible" to port stance. Anything can be ported. Just a matter of time and sacrifices. Especially in today's gaming where games are scalable. The 1080 still runs most games, just at low settings. Alan Wake 2 was paced for better performance on old GPUs. Given the cost of high performance I get people want to stick with their rigs for a long time before upgrading.

It's more of a meme term at this point. Back during the initial Switch reveal in October 2016, NBA 2K and Skyrim could be seen on the consoles in the trailer, but people were claiming that there was no way the Switch could handle those games.

Chrkeller said:

The gap between the 1080 and the PS5 isn't that large though. Hardware can certainly last a lot longer than it used to but there's still limits on what is doable to port, the Switch wouldn't be able to handle GTA 6 for example. They'd basically have to make a completely different game like what used to happen with certain titles getting completely different versions on different platforms but still sharing the same name. 

Around the Network

The Switch version of Unicorn Overlord is outselling the PS5 version over in Japan:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/03/japanese-charts-unicorn-overlord-dominates-in-its-debut-week

Not a surprise for Japan, but it'll be interesting to see statistics for the rest of the world. With Vanillaware's art style emphasizing beautiful hand-drawn visuals over photorealistic 3D graphics and the game being an SRPG instead of a more processor-intensive genre, I can imagine that many will opt for the Switch version instead of one available on more capable platforms. We'll see though.

"Nintendo users only buy Nintendo games on Nintendo systems" How true was this?

It was hyperbole at best. But not particularly true. On NES, SNES, Wii, DS, and Switch there were hundreds of millions of non-Nintendo games that Nintendo users bought. Not to mention that Nintendo users would often own multiple platforms, and buy games on those as well.

It's true Nintendo users would often gravitate toward Nintendo games, but that's because Nintendo is the most popular video game developer in history. Nintendo has also produced most of the killer apps through video game history - usually there's only one or two killer apps a generation, and this gen Nintendo had three: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Breath of the Wild, and Animal Crossing: NH.

Also, Nintendo has a tendency to partner with third parties that become very popular on their consoles (RARE, HAL Laboratories, and Gamefreak being the biggest examples) and therefore kind of adopt those games as "Nintendo games" in practice; although, technically they're not.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

DonFerrari said:

Sure there are plenty of indie devs, and they do support switch, and as I said considering their scope hardly any of them would make a game that can't run on switch and considering Switch userbase it could be easier for them to skip (or delay) PS and Xbox than Switch if they can't work on the ports at the time.

But on why sales are lower on Switch, well that is just the data. PS4 with 117M consoles had sold over 1.5B SW (and 1.2-1.3 of those were 3rd parties), Switch with over 130M consoles sold is about 1B SW (and 500k of those are 3rd parties) so I guess you can see part of the reason why one would expect lower sales on Switch for 3rd parties. Then you look on that over 1M club and there is 7 vs 45 3rd/1st. And then you look for AAA and the difference in sales between Switch and the other two is massive. Only few titles, and mostly the smaller ones when multiplat really sell much better on Switch than the other 2 even with the big userbase difference.

It's important how to interpret data. What is missing is that Nintendo's software number updates do not include download-only games. Many indie titles are download-only therefore would not be included. In their November 8th report covering the first half of FY2024 it clearly says so on page 50 (see source)

Currently by the latest update covering untill 31 December 2023, Switch sold 1,2Billion pieces of software (source2), but these exclude download-only titles.

It's hard to say how many download-only titles have been sold on the Switch. 100Million? 500Million? It's anyone's guess.

Source (page 50): https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2023/231108e.pdf

Source2: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

Well, since I got my Steam deck I use my Switch for Nintendo games, exclusively. I mean, why would I spend more money and have inferior experience?

Kristof81 said:

Well, since I got my Steam deck I use my Switch for Nintendo games, exclusively. I mean, why would I spend more money and have inferior experience?

I'd guess less than 1% of Nintendo users own a Steam Deck. The thing was a massive flop.

Not what I'd call a good explanation, or supporting evidence.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 14 April 2024

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.