By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Nintendo users only buy Nintendo games on Nintendo systems" How true was this?

DonFerrari said:
GProgrammer said:

Another big year for 3rd party on the Switch, It wouldn't surprise me if actually it was better than 2022

I wonder what was the split of platforms for Hogwarts sales.

Most likely it's PS5 > PS4 >= Switch > Xbox Series > Xbox One

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
DonFerrari said:

I wonder what was the split of platforms for Hogwarts sales.

I think PC is above Switch in sales. And for Xbox I think it is unified.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Mar1217 said:

I think PC is above Switch in sales. And for Xbox I think it is unified.

I tried to be more console specific but even then going by those metrics I think it'd go like this :

PS >= PC > Switch > Xbox

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Leynos said:

My Switch is 150 plus physical games and most of that is 3rd party. You won't find any Pokemon or AC. Very little of Mario and Zelda. All Xenoblades. A shit ton of arcade games and shmups. RPGs.

But my general impression of Nintendo fans over the years. They are the most sheltered. In a bubble. Unaware of a lot of well-known stuff past and present. Extremely unaware of a lot of classic series.

How you managed that many lol? Most 3rd party games I see in physical form in AUS,  a lot of games require a massive download as it's missing stuff, or it's sold as a code-in-a-box lol, so have to download the game.

There is probably 40 games I have skipped because of this bullshit lol

Cobretti2 said:
Leynos said:

My Switch is 150 plus physical games and most of that is 3rd party. You won't find any Pokemon or AC. Very little of Mario and Zelda. All Xenoblades. A shit ton of arcade games and shmups. RPGs.

But my general impression of Nintendo fans over the years. They are the most sheltered. In a bubble. Unaware of a lot of well-known stuff past and present. Extremely unaware of a lot of classic series.

How you managed that many lol? Most 3rd party games I see in physical form in AUS,  a lot of games require a massive download as it's missing stuff, or it's sold as a code-in-a-box lol, so have to download the game.

There is probably 40 games I have skipped because of this bullshit lol

I never buy those downloaded ones. A 3rd of mine are imports from Asia. Arcade games. Shmups. My collection is mostly mechs. RPGs. Shmups. Arcade stuff with a few Nintendo things like Smash. Mario Odyssey. Xenoblade games. Astral Chain. Bayo.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I think it is somewhat ture because Nintendo has a very loyal fanbase who just sticks with Nintendo.

BiON!@ 

I buy third parties games on Switch. After all, more consumer support means more third party games on Switch right?/s
That's why I got Ultra Street Fighter II and Samurai Shodown on Switch. In hopes that Street Fighter VI and King of Fighters XV will come over on Switch one day./s
In all seriousness, I don't think the stigma of Nintendo users only buying Nintendo games on Nintendo systems will necessarily go away, but I think the idea of that is beyond odd at this point. Over a billion units of software sold on Switch. Are you saying that >80% of that software are Nintendo games? I don't think that's the case.
If there are multiplatform games that I am interested in and appear to run well on Switch, I usually get it on Switch. I usually play more on my Switch than even on my PS5. Sure, power is nice. Still, the Switch is that convenient for me as a gamer that I can play it anywhere and bring it on trips with me. I played MLB the Show on PS4, great experience. But once the series came to Switch, I bought it on Switch because I can play quick 3 inning games without having to turn on the TV.

Kai_Mao said:

I buy third parties games on Switch. After all, more consumer support means more third party games on Switch right?/s
That's why I got Ultra Street Fighter II and Samurai Shodown on Switch. In hopes that Street Fighter VI and King of Fighters XV will come over on Switch one day./s
In all seriousness, I don't think the stigma of Nintendo users only buying Nintendo games on Nintendo systems will necessarily go away, but I think the idea of that is beyond odd at this point. Over a billion units of software sold on Switch. Are you saying that >80% of that software are Nintendo games? I don't think that's the case.
If there are multiplatform games that I am interested in and appear to run well on Switch, I usually get it on Switch. I usually play more on my Switch than even on my PS5. Sure, power is nice. Still, the Switch is that convenient for me as a gamer that I can play it anywhere and bring it on trips with me. I played MLB the Show on PS4, great experience. But once the series came to Switch, I bought it on Switch because I can play quick 3 inning games without having to turn on the TV.

If you read through the thread you'll see that it is more or less 50% of all SW sold on Switch is third party while for PS it is about 85%. So if we were to go from current Switch SW sales (1B) and PS4 LTD (close to 2B) you would have something like 500k for Switch and 1.7B for PS4 of third party SW or something like 3x more. So looking both on % or total you would see that the switch userbase is much less likely to buy 3rd party SW than PS userbase.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Kai_Mao said:

If you read through the thread you'll see that it is more or less 50% of all SW sold on Switch is third party while for PS it is about 85%. So if we were to go from current Switch SW sales (1B) and PS4 LTD (close to 2B) you would have something like 500k for Switch and 1.7B for PS4 of third party SW or something like 3x more. So looking both on % or total you would see that the switch userbase is much less likely to buy 3rd party SW than PS userbase.

As I already explained in my post: if all the top selling games for the PS4 list I grabbed aren't releasing on Switch then the result is more than expected. An unreleased game cannot sell. Removing all games unreleased on Nintendo platforms from the PS-bestseller list it results in a list heavily dominated by first party. As these best-selling games account for a lot of the overall sales this clearly makes the difference. If we look at games that actually released on Switch like Minecraft, the numbers aren't that different anymore. So games aren't releasing on Nintendo because the legend says third party doesn't sell, and because top selling games aren't released the numbers feed back into the legend.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

As I already explained in my post: if all the top selling games for the PS4 list I grabbed aren't releasing on Switch then the result is more than expected. An unreleased game cannot sell. Removing all games unreleased on Nintendo platforms from the PS-bestseller list it results in a list heavily dominated by first party. As these best-selling games account for a lot of the overall sales this clearly makes the difference. If we look at games that actually released on Switch like Minecraft, the numbers aren't that different anymore. So games aren't releasing on Nintendo because the legend says third party doesn't sell, and because top selling games aren't released the numbers feed back into the legend.

Do you really believe publishers base themselves on legends?

The games that are multi-sellers and got launched on Switch didn't get anywhere near the same sales as on the other platforms like Witcher 3, Fifa, etc. So those pubs have made their analysis of the port feasibility and the result is that most of the time they decide it is not worth it, it isn't whichcraft.