By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Nintendo users only buy Nintendo games on Nintendo systems" How true was this?

Shtinamin_ said:
DonFerrari said:

The strawman isn't about the "all" (but Sony and Microsoft entering console space and their internal developers didn't start Indie, and the studios they create weren't indie as well, but that is beside the point).

The strawman I'm saying is regard the discussion of why big devs don't support Switch, it is because of the type of game they make isn't really portable in a worth way and for them to make smaller (Indie scope let's say) titles isn't what they are aiming and also the sales they expect on Switch would be much lower than PS/Xbox so for them even if they started as Indie 40 or even 5 years ago it makes no difference.

Strawman Fallacy: an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

I was never referring to the big devs. I was specifically referring to why are we only focusing on big dev, there have been many indie developers on the Switch that have seen massive success.

Sony and Microsoft didn't make an indie game, they went for a whole system. And both companies were very well economically before they entered the gaming world.

Now focusing on all 3rd party devs.
Why would sales be lower on the Switch? The Switch has a user base of at least 134M in consoles and +330M Nintendo accounts. PC would easily be a good market to focus on, and the Switch (even though it is difficult to port) because the user base is massive. PS5 and Xbox Series have a user base combined at 75M in consoles and +243 Network users. Just looking at the numbers it seems very obvious which console I would port too.
Is there data to back up the claim that sales are less on a Switch when the game releases at the same time on multiple consoles?

Sure there are plenty of indie devs, and they do support switch, and as I said considering their scope hardly any of them would make a game that can't run on switch and considering Switch userbase it could be easier for them to skip (or delay) PS and Xbox than Switch if they can't work on the ports at the time.

But on why sales are lower on Switch, well that is just the data. PS4 with 117M consoles had sold over 1.5B SW (and 1.2-1.3 of those were 3rd parties), Switch with over 130M consoles sold is about 1B SW (and 500k of those are 3rd parties) so I guess you can see part of the reason why one would expect lower sales on Switch for 3rd parties. Then you look on that over 1M club and there is 7 vs 45 3rd/1st. And then you look for AAA and the difference in sales between Switch and the other two is massive. Only few titles, and mostly the smaller ones when multiplat really sell much better on Switch than the other 2 even with the big userbase difference.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Shtinamin_ said:

Strawman Fallacy: an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

I was never referring to the big devs. I was specifically referring to why are we only focusing on big dev, there have been many indie developers on the Switch that have seen massive success.

Sony and Microsoft didn't make an indie game, they went for a whole system. And both companies were very well economically before they entered the gaming world.

Why would sales be lower on the Switch? The Switch has a user base of at least 134M in consoles and +330M Nintendo accounts. PC would easily be a good market to focus on, and the Switch (even though it is difficult to port) because the user base is massive. PS5 and Xbox Series have a user base combined at 75M in consoles and +243 Network users. Just looking at the numbers it seems very obvious which console I would port too.
Is there data to back up the claim that sales are less on a Switch when the game releases at the same time on multiple consoles?

Demographics.  I own a switch and wouldn't touch a third party title for it.  For first party titles I don't have a choice but to purchase on weak hardware.  But for third party I do have a choice.  On PC I get 1440p 60 fps....  I'm not going switch for 720p at 30 fps.  

More people doesn't equate to more sales.  That is a fallacy.  Demographics and strategy.

Let me ask a few questions.  Do you think switch is exceptionally lucrative for third parties and money is being left on the table?  If so, why would third party do as such?  Do you really think billion dollar publishers don't do their research and have business strategies?  

Even old timers on VGC think attach ratio is somewhat linear, like if your userbase is 20M and you sold 5M of a title if your userbase was 100M would it really sell 25M? Of course not. Usually the smaller the userbase the higher the attach ratio because the people that decided to buy are more core fanbase who buy more games and the bigger the userbase and the titles available more spread out are the sales, and that is even more true for PS and Xbox that have most 3rd parties there.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Chrkeller said:
Shtinamin_ said:

Demographics.  I own a switch and wouldn't touch a third party title for it.  For first party titles I don't have a choice but to purchase on weak hardware.  But for third party I do have a choice.  On PC I get 1440p 60 fps....  I'm not going switch for 720p at 30 fps.  

More people doesn't equate to more sales.  That is a fallacy.  Demographics and strategy.

Let me ask a few questions.  Do you think switch is exceptionally lucrative for third parties and money is being left on the table?  If so, why would third party do as such?  Do you really think billion dollar publishers don't do their research and have business strategies?  

For many games weak hardware doesn't matter. Most games really, except a few AAA-titles. There is no reason for me to buy A Short Hike or Graveyard Keeper on my Xbox Series X over my Switch, they look and perform exactly the same. Same with remasters like Doom 64 or Live a Live. But I do have an advantage on Switch that I don't have on my Xbox Series - I can take that game with me when I am traveling or commuting. So for these games I actually prefer to buy them on Switch. And I think I am not alone. Third party does not consist exclusively of AAA games. Even Borderlands is fine on Switch - and I can take it with me.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

For the last few generations, Nintendo hardware has been underpowered relative to PlayStation and Xbox. So, if I have the option to buy a game on any of the systems, switch is typically my last choice place to play it. The only exception to that is when I expect to be traveling a fair amount in the near future. In those cases, if the Nintendo system under consideration is a handheld, I may choose to play the game on that system.

Anyway, in my case, I think it is accurate to say that I favor Nintendo games on Nintendo hardware.

Mnementh said:
Chrkeller said:

For many games weak hardware doesn't matter. Most games really, except a few AAA-titles. There is no reason for me to buy A Short Hike or Graveyard Keeper on my Xbox Series X over my Switch, they look and perform exactly the same. Same with remasters like Doom 64 or Live a Live. But I do have an advantage on Switch that I don't have on my Xbox Series - I can take that game with me when I am traveling or commuting. So for these games I actually prefer to buy them on Switch. And I think I am not alone. Third party does not consist exclusively of AAA games. Even Borderlands is fine on Switch - and I can take it with me.

Just a matter of preference.  Hades at 4k on the ps5 is better than the Switch version, for me.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Chrkeller said:

Same here. Most of the third parties I do get honestly wouldn't look much, if any, better on a PS5 or a PC, and certainly not enough to matter. 

Mnementh said:
Chrkeller said:

That's all true. But, AAA games account for a very, very large percentage of all games played. 

VAMatt said:
Mnementh said:

That's all true. But, AAA games account for a very, very large percentage of all games played. 

Sure. But I am a true gamer™ - I even play indies!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Another big year for 3rd party on the Switch, It wouldn't surprise me if actually it was better than 2022

GProgrammer said:

Another big year for 3rd party on the Switch, It wouldn't surprise me if actually it was better than 2022

I wonder what was the split of platforms for Hogwarts sales.