By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Nintendo users only buy Nintendo games on Nintendo systems" How true was this?

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

As I already explained in my post: if all the top selling games for the PS4 list I grabbed aren't releasing on Switch then the result is more than expected. An unreleased game cannot sell. Removing all games unreleased on Nintendo platforms from the PS-bestseller list it results in a list heavily dominated by first party. As these best-selling games account for a lot of the overall sales this clearly makes the difference. If we look at games that actually released on Switch like Minecraft, the numbers aren't that different anymore. So games aren't releasing on Nintendo because the legend says third party doesn't sell, and because top selling games aren't released the numbers feed back into the legend.

Do you really believe publishers base themselves on legends?

The games that are multi-sellers and got launched on Switch didn't get anywhere near the same sales as on the other platforms like Witcher 3, Fifa, etc. So those pubs have made their analysis of the port feasibility and the result is that most of the time they decide it is not worth it, it isn't whichcraft.

Do you expect a late port on a machine that continuously is avoided by 3rd-parties to do the same instantly? Pretty fair releases without asterisks like Minecraft do well on Switch. But many games don't come from the start and others have a lot of asterisks. You should compare games without these asterisks, like Disgaea games, the Mana games, Octopath Traveler (ask how well it did on Xbox) and so on. Monster Hunter Rise did on Switch alone quite well compared to Monster Hunter World. Not the same exactly and geographical distribution was different (which is the much more interesting discussion to have), but overall good. Microsoft has said they will release CoD in the future. This is one of the reasons PS reaches 85% 3rd party (really, that number is made up of only a few game series). If MS does this release without asterisks, same day, we have another data point.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Kai_Mao said:

I buy third parties games on Switch. After all, more consumer support means more third party games on Switch right?/s
That's why I got Ultra Street Fighter II and Samurai Shodown on Switch. In hopes that Street Fighter VI and King of Fighters XV will come over on Switch one day./s
In all seriousness, I don't think the stigma of Nintendo users only buying Nintendo games on Nintendo systems will necessarily go away, but I think the idea of that is beyond odd at this point. Over a billion units of software sold on Switch. Are you saying that >80% of that software are Nintendo games? I don't think that's the case.
If there are multiplatform games that I am interested in and appear to run well on Switch, I usually get it on Switch. I usually play more on my Switch than even on my PS5. Sure, power is nice. Still, the Switch is that convenient for me as a gamer that I can play it anywhere and bring it on trips with me. I played MLB the Show on PS4, great experience. But once the series came to Switch, I bought it on Switch because I can play quick 3 inning games without having to turn on the TV.

If you read through the thread you'll see that it is more or less 50% of all SW sold on Switch is third party while for PS it is about 85%. So if we were to go from current Switch SW sales (1B) and PS4 LTD (close to 2B) you would have something like 500k for Switch and 1.7B for PS4 of third party SW or something like 3x more. So looking both on % or total you would see that the switch userbase is much less likely to buy 3rd party SW than PS userbase.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I feel that some of the assumptions based on the stats is a bit misleading. I'm not saying that SW consumers bought more 3rd party games than you think, I think that we also have to take into consideration that a majority of the AAA didn't come to Switch. Games like COD, GTAV, Madden, etc., have not come to Switch. And even if they finally do, like The Witcher 3, Bioshock, Nier Automata, Persona 5, etc., you have to take into consideration of how long it took to get those games from the time they initially released on PS4/Xbone/PC/etc. While these games were long requested, they've been in other consoles for years before and are at cheaper prices by then time they release on Switch. If they had released maybe a few months after they initially released on other consoles then maybe it would've been a fair comparison. But that's not realistic since the Switch released in 2017 and wasn't a proven console by the time games like Persona 5, Nier Automata, The Witcher 3, etc. were on store shelves. As we've seen with games like FIFA, NBA 2K, Atelier Ryza, etc., the Switch versions have done reasonably well when launched at the same time and date alongside the Xbox and PS versions.

If we go by the numbers and your understanding of what third parties think, do you think that we may not see as much third party games come to Switch 2? You think that games like Street Fighter VI, Tales of Arise, Tekken 8, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil, Persona 3 Reload, etc. would not do well on Switch 2?

Last edited by Kai_Mao - on 30 January 2024

Kai_Mao said:
DonFerrari said:

If you read through the thread you'll see that it is more or less 50% of all SW sold on Switch is third party while for PS it is about 85%. So if we were to go from current Switch SW sales (1B) and PS4 LTD (close to 2B) you would have something like 500k for Switch and 1.7B for PS4 of third party SW or something like 3x more. So looking both on % or total you would see that the switch userbase is much less likely to buy 3rd party SW than PS userbase.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I feel that some of the assumptions based on the stats is a bit misleading. I'm not saying that SW consumers bought more 3rd party games than you think, I think that we also have to take into consideration that a majority of the AAA didn't come to Switch. Games like COD, GTAV, Madden, etc., have not come to Switch. And even if they finally do, like The Witcher 3, Bioshock, Nier Automata, Persona 5, etc., you have to take into consideration of how long it took to get those games from the time they initially released on PS4/Xbone/PC/etc. While these games were long requested, they've been in other consoles for years before and are at cheaper prices by then time they release on Switch. If they had released maybe a few months after they initially released on other consoles then maybe it would've been a fair comparison. But that's not realistic since the Switch released in 2017 and wasn't a proven console by the time games like Persona 5, Nier Automata, The Witcher 3, etc. were on store shelves. As we've seen with games like FIFA, NBA 2K, Atelier Ryza, etc., the Switch versions have done reasonably well when launched at the same time and date alongside the Xbox and PS versions.

If we go by the numbers and your understanding of what third parties think, do you think that we may not see as much third party games come to Switch 2? You think that games like Street Fighter VI, Tales of Arise, Tekken 8, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil, Persona 3 Reload, etc. would not do well on Switch 2?

The main thing preventing those games to come or not to Switch 2 would be how much cuts would be necessary versus the regular version. If they can make a quick and cheap port they will most likely do, otherwise only for games that they expect to sell a lot (and that isn't that common unfortunately). But considering Switch 2 is coming mid gen for the other consoles it is possible that it will receive a good amount of titles since devs will expect the system to do similar as good as Switch.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I don't have my Switch by hand right now, but the vast majority of my games are NOT from Nintendo. In fact, only 3 (out of 50+) come to my mind right now: MK8DX, BotW and Game Builder Garage.

To be fair, most of my games are Indie titles, but it also contains bigger titles, like Mortal Kombat, Story of Seasons or Dragon Quest

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

Do you really believe publishers base themselves on legends?

The games that are multi-sellers and got launched on Switch didn't get anywhere near the same sales as on the other platforms like Witcher 3, Fifa, etc. So those pubs have made their analysis of the port feasibility and the result is that most of the time they decide it is not worth it, it isn't whichcraft.

Do you expect a late port on a machine that continuously is avoided by 3rd-parties to do the same instantly? Pretty fair releases without asterisks like Minecraft do well on Switch. But many games don't come from the start and others have a lot of asterisks. You should compare games without these asterisks, like Disgaea games, the Mana games, Octopath Traveler (ask how well it did on Xbox) and so on. Monster Hunter Rise did on Switch alone quite well compared to Monster Hunter World. Not the same exactly and geographical distribution was different (which is the much more interesting discussion to have), but overall good. Microsoft has said they will release CoD in the future. This is one of the reasons PS reaches 85% 3rd party (really, that number is made up of only a few game series). If MS does this release without asterisks, same day, we have another data point.

^This. Comparing a years-late port of games like Witcher 3 or obviously watered down ports that advertise it as such right on the box like "Legacy Edition" FIFA is straight-up strawmanning. Compare the Switch to games it got day and date with other platforms like Mortal Kombat 11.

Speaking of, the Switch keeps getting every new MK, every  new NBA 2K, every new MLB The Show, and so on, whereas the Wii U did not. So clearly some big publishers are satisfied with their sales.

Last edited by burninmylight - on 01 February 2024

Around the Network

Speaking of, the Switch keeps getting every new MK, every  new NBA 2K, every new MLB The Show, and so on, whereas the Wii U did not. So clearly some big publishers are satisfied with their sales.

Dont these games have a lot of microtransactions in them? Might have something to do with why they continue to get released on Switch

Are there other big(ger) games who do the same but without the microtransactions?

TeachMeHisty said:

Dont these games have a lot of microtransactions in them? Might have something to do with why they continue to get released on Switch

Are there other big(ger) games who do the same but without the microtransactions?

Why does that matter? They're still big name games from big name publishers that past Nintendo consoles weren't getting.

burninmylight said:
TeachMeHisty said:

Why does that matter? They're still big name games from big name publishers that past Nintendo consoles weren't getting.

Because of how companies decide which games are getting released on which system.

Microtransactions and the money that's made from them may be the sole reason why these games are still releasing at all.

Cut the MTXs and those games may have potentially never been released at all.

That can potentially tell you a lot about the probability of any given game X to release on the system

TeachMeHisty said:
burninmylight said:

Because of how companies decide which games are getting released on which system.

Microtransactions and the money that's made from them may be the sole reason why these games are still releasing at all.

Cut the MTXs and those games may have potentially never been released at all.

That can potentially tell you a lot about the probability of any given game X to release on the system

Well in that case, that means that they are selling decently enough and driving enough business to warrant being ported to Switch. If the audience wasn't there, then they wouldn't get ported.

All of those MTX-fests existed in the Wii U days, but outside of NBA 2K11, it wasn't getting those games.

burninmylight said:
Mnementh said:

^This. Comparing a years-late port of games like Witcher 3 or obviously watered down ports that advertise it as such right on the box like "Legacy Edition" FIFA is straight-up strawmanning. Compare the Switch to games it got day and date with other platforms like Mortal Kombat 11.

NBA and MLB are mandated to be on all platforms from the license holder. And how do you expect a Switch port to not be watered down? Only if they released a watered down version for everyone.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."