By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 59.3M by 31.03.2024. LT sales expectations?

Lifetime sales expectations

Under 100M 3 15.79%

100-110M 9 47.37%

110-130M 7 36.84%

130-150M 0 0%

150M+ 0 0%

Total:19
haxxiy said:

Their nonchalant approach to first-party releases has me a bit miffed. Feels like they're coasting a bit since Xbox is almost dead. Where's the Sony of the PS3 and PS4 days?

I ask the same. The Sony, and for that matter Microsoft, from the PS2/PS3 and OG XBOX and especially 360 days were the peak. Both of them. Now not only Microsoft is trowing the towel, but It feels like Sony is doing the same.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

Around the Network
XtremeBG said:

I ask the same. The Sony, and for that matter Microsoft, from the PS2/PS3 and OG XBOX and especially 360 days were the peak. Both of them. Now not only Microsoft is trowing the towel, but It feels like Sony is doing the same.

It's frustrating to see so many studios doing seemingly nothing, even accounting for longer development times.

Compare Naughty Dog and FromSoft, for instance: a similar number of employees, quality output, comparably high sales, but within 4 years of Sekiro, From released 2 AAA titles including a 100h+ open-world game and should release a massive expansion for it in a few months.

It has been almost the same time since TLOU2 and Naughty Dog have done... remasters. With no hint in sight of their next project. Same goes for Bluepoint, Nixxes, Sucker Punch, etc.

(Say OD and DS2 both release in 2025, that's three titles in six years. Imagine most of these devs being way slower than goddamn Kojima).

Somewhere between 130 million and 150 million.

haxxiy said:

Their nonchalant approach to first-party releases has me a bit miffed. Feels like they're coasting a bit since Xbox is almost dead. Where's the Sony of the PS3 and PS4 days?

Feels like there's nothing left to look forward to when I get FF7 Rebirth until DS2 releases like 18 months from now. GTA6 is coming up, yeah, but weren't for that I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up around PS4 levels even though Xbox shrunk so much.

It's quite baffling when PS4's top-selling first-party games sold more than any other PlayStation platform.

Though in all fairness, they were games that took a ton of development time and resources.

-Spider-Man

-God of War (2018)

-Horizon: Zero Dawn

-Uncharted 4

Sony seems have the approach of cinematic AAA games while releasing MLB yearly. 

We'll have to see if their approach causes PS5 to outsell PS4, but I'm skeptical. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Is the PS4 even hitting 130 million? Looks like the PS5 is already falling behind the PS4. 150 million would require a whole lot of miracles at this point. 

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

It's quite baffling when PS4's top-selling first-party games sold more than any other PlayStation platform.

Though in all fairness, they were games that took a ton of development time and resources.

-Spider-Man

-God of War (2018)

-Horizon: Zero Dawn

-Uncharted 4

Sony seems have the approach of cinematic AAA games while releasing MLB yearly. 

We'll have to see if their approach causes PS5 to outsell PS4, but I'm skeptical. 

To be fair, Insomniac are still consistent and Santa Monica had a reasonable development cycle with Ragnarok. The problem is everyone else dropping the ball.

Still sticking with 110m - 120m, depending on how long before the PS5's successor arrives. If the PS6 launches in 2028, I don't think the PS5 will reach PS4's numbers.

Soundwave said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Is the PS4 even hitting 130 million? Looks like the PS5 is already falling behind the PS4. 150 million would require a whole lot of miracles at this point. 

This generation is just getting started.

Soundwave, your underestimate the power of GTA 6. PS4 only had PS3 remastered's GTA 5. PS5 will have GTA 6, that will be a big bang almost as big as Persona 6 and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (^^)

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

This generation is just getting started.

According to Sony the PS5 has already had its peak year in sales. Unless another covid or something happens that boosts the console market massively again I guess.

The world belongs to you-Pan America