By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Showcase announced for May 24 (Over an hour long, focusing on PS5 and PSVR2 games)

It was good. There were many games, but I expected more first party stuff. Spiderman 2 looked great. But not like anything a ps4 could not handle. Perhaps it was just the stream quality. I don't know.

RE4VR2 was an absolut highlite for me. Currently playing RE8VR and loving it.
That ninja/samurai game, I thought for a second it was Nioh 3, that looked really cool.

But there were a lot of shooters. And I am sick of this "attitude" of characters and the whole presentation certain games have now. The way they always come off as horribly try hard: hello fellow kids, look how cool I am. ... Perhaps I come off as an old fart. But Bungie was cool without pandering. It looked really good. The haven studios game on the other hand, that heist cg-trailer: yikes. These games have no identity to me. There is no meat on the bone. There whole story seems to be - let's be totally rad together. That square enix game aswell. Gameplay looked fun, but the characters and world: beyond forgettableness.

Anyways I hoped to see more first party stuff. But was cool though.

Around the Network
Qwark said:

Ghost of Tsushima launched in 2020 so 3 years ago and so far they haven't announced a new project. It being a high profile game I doubt they are going to release it 6 months after the announcement. Same goes for Days gone Dev. Days Gone was released in 2019, so pretty much 4 years ago.

Between July 2020  - August 2021 they also worked on and released the Legends DLC, the Iki Islands DLC, and the Directrotrs Cut/PS5 version.

It was 6 years between Infamous First Light DLC and their next release Ghost of Tsushima, so at that same pace we could expect Ghost of Tsushima 2 or whatever in mid 2027.

PS Showcase 2023

FairGame$
- There was a QR Code at the end
- Haven software?
Helldivers II
- Reminds me of Starship Troopers
- PS5/PC
Immortals of Aveum
- It's EA so I doubt I'll like it
- July 20th 2023
Ghostrunner II
Phantom Blade 0
- Soulslike? Action game?
- This looks fun, will keep an eye out
- PS5 exclusive?
Sword of the Sea
- PS5 Exclusive?
the talos principle II
Neva
- Same Studio as Gris
Cat Quest Pirates of the Purribbean
Foamstars
- Square Enix Splatoon?
- Probably exclusive?
The Plucky Squire
Teardown
- Port from PC
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater Remake
- PS5 Exclusive?
Metal Gear Solid MAster collection
- Autimn 2023
Towers of Aghasba
Final Fantasy XVI
- Yeah we already know
- June 22nd
- PS5 Exclusive
Alan Wake II
- October 17th 2023
Assassin's Creed Mirage
- October 12th
Revenant Hill
- PS Exclusive?
Granblue Fantasy Rebirth
Street Fighter 6
- June 2nd 2023
- Oh look, pre order bonuses
Ultros
Tower of Fantasy
- No date given?
Dragon's Dogma II
- No Date Given
Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted 2
- Late 2023

PSVR 2 segment:

Resident Evil 4 VR Mode
- In Development? Damn, no date
Arizona Sunshine II
Crossfire Sierra Squad
- No Date Given? (Was looking away)
Synapse
- July 4th 2023
Beat Saber
- availabe now
- queen Pack

Back to the Games

Marathon
- Bungie
- No Date Given
Destiny 2: The Final Shape
- Showcase on Aug 22nd
NConcord
- PS5 Exclusive (And PC)
Gran Turismo movie
- not the place or time guys
- august
Remote Play Switch
- Kinda cool, actually
Playstation Earbuds
- Fine enough
Spider-Man 2
- VenomSpider
- Can play as Peter and miles
- Wing Suit
- Fall 2023

Going down this list there's a lot I'm tentatively excited for. A LOT. Like, pretty much everything in that presentation was at least a mild, "Okay, this looks fun, now show me more' state. But therein lay the problems, right?

The visuals and art direction look great for so many of these, but the modern state of the industry makes me wonder how many of them are going to be yet another overmonetized microtransaction farm Game as a Service. Like, take that Immortals of Aveum game. If sucker Punch was the ones making that it'd be a solid 9/10 for me. that looked like fun and they have a history of great games. but it's EA. and that makes my mind immediately go to 'oh, yeah this is gonna be Anthem 2.0 isn't it?' and that doused all my excitement for it.

So many of the showings were for games that LOOK great and many of which even have good pedigree behind them, but we don't know enough to be excited. and, I know I'll get booed and shouted down here a bit but so much of this 'PlayStation' showcase reminded me of an Xbox presentation. Plenty of stuff that looks good but how much of it was good for Playstation? How many of these games were exclusives? This was a lovely, wonderful showing of a tonne of interesting looking games but it coulda been a generic summer games fest presentation, where are the games that help to give PLAYSTATION its identity?

I like Playstation mostly because of their exclusive titles. They've always been good about really giving us a wide variety of games that I enjoy (Plenty I don't, too but that's not the point.) Multiplatform games can be fun but they always feel like they lack a strong identity, regardless of what platform they're on. Whenever I play a console, be it PS or Nintendo or even Xbox, the games I tend to gravitate towards are almost always exclusives. Games that can't be played anywhere else. And I just didn't get any of that personality here. Well, I got some but not much.

So yeah, I give the presentation a solid 7/10 because I liked the look of pretty much everything Is a but I really didn't get much of a feel for anything outside of Helldivers and Spider-Man. Oh, and Phantom Blade. that looked fun. Is Phantom Blade 0 exclusive? (Just checked, looks like PS5/PC)

Weirdly enough, exclusivity matters. Can't really quantify it beyond that but I find I have more excitement for games when they're exclusive. It always feels like they've got more soul that way. There are few multiplatform games throughout history I love as much as exclusives. Many of my favourite games and franchises are exclusives. Heck, a lot of my favourite games over the last few years have been exclusives at one point. cuphead, for example. THAT game has personality.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

gtotheunit91 said:

I was hoping Half-Life: Alyx would've been announced for PSVR2. That would've given the system a huge boost! Still could eventually happen, but Valve doesn't like to port their games really.

I was expecting that as well

I thought the showcase of PSVR 2 titles were gonna take more place in the presentation than this. How do you expect the future of your newly released peripheral device to be healthy if you showcase almost nothing that could qualifies as a killer app.

As for the showcase, once again Capcom gets one of the better spot in this whole thing with Dragons Dogma 2.
Seeing the Plucky Squire again was a nice trip because I really want to experience it ... But it's sooooo far away from release now ...

Huuummm .... MGS 3 Remake confirmed in a CGI trailer ... Yeah ? Confirmation is one thing but I'm not holding my breath when it'll come to it's release date.

Nice gameplay showcase for Spiderman 2, although that could've warranted it's own PS Showcase altogether if they were to do a 10 min. thing.

Anywoo, like I said before, this needed to be the big showcase that could justify what to look for with the PS5 this year and if they had a chance to reach the lofty goals of 25M shipped consoles sold.
Suffice to say, I simply hope they have another presentation in a few months to rectify what happened here because I'm sorry to say this but ...

This was not enough, like at all, especially on the first party side. 3rd party showcasing was more than decent enough though, just a bit too much CGI trailer with no gameplay per usual,lol

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
Qwark said:

Ghost of Tsushima launched in 2020 so 3 years ago and so far they haven't announced a new project. It being a high profile game I doubt they are going to release it 6 months after the announcement. Same goes for Days gone Dev. Days Gone was released in 2019, so pretty much 4 years ago.

TLOU MP, we still got nothing more than some artwork. As for London studios and Media Molecule, they where also no shows. I can give MM some leaway, but London Studios last game was released 4 years ago and they tend to make VR games.

So even if those studios (Sucker Punch, Bend, London Studios) all release a game next year which is doubtful at best. We would already be 3.5 years into this gen.

I doubt those studios can suddenly release games much quicker (within 3 years after their first release assuming PS6 is announced somewhere in 2026/early 2027) after their first PS5 release. Only ND might have enough manpower to do so.

None of that indicates development hell though. 

I mean, outside of Sony Bend who faced internal strife, and Media Molecule who was supporting Dreams until this year, these timelines for London Studio and Sucker Punch's next games make sense. I also wouldn't rule out a Fall 2024 for the GOT sequel, it could very well get a tease at a SOP, or even something like TGA, with an extensive showing next year. 

It was around a 5/10 for me I'd say.
My expectations were too high, and it was a bit more on the CGI side instead of gameplay than I would have prefered. 

I was hoping to see Final Fantasy Tactics or FF9 Remake.
RE4 Seperate Ways DLC
And some other things.

At least MGS3 was there as expected. Too bad it was just a teaser. But great way to throw us off with that trailer. They got me with that one.
Spiderman 2 looks pretty good.
Granblue finally getting a a release. Hopefully.

Last edited by Hiku - on 24 May 2023

Blood_Tears said:

Yeah I am of the same mindset on this one with a 6/10. It definitely could have been better from a 1st party standpoint. Where's Bends game? Bluepoints game they were teasing, no Factions, no Stellar Blade and Cory’s new IP was a no show as well. Maybe they are staggering announcements between this and Summer Game fest so who knows. There was quite a bit of content there but it needed more 1st party stuff.

Also, I will say from a 3rd party standpoint that Sony knocked it out of the park. I know some people are gloating over a lot of games being multiplat and all but this was a killer marketing strategy going into the fall and next year. If a game is multiplat, people on other platforms still have to buy it!

As we have seen before with the likes of Hogwarts and such, it's all about having the marketing associated with that game. That's how Sony staves off Gamepass this holiday season. With the likelihood that they have the marketing for AC Mirage, Alan Wake 2 and even Dragons Dogma 2 and MGS3 later when it releases than that means the biggest game releases won't be on Gamepass this year. Add in Baldur’s Gate 3, Spiderman 2 and even CoD marketing this year and it’s smooth sailing for Sony. So this showcase for me just felt like a defensive maneuver against Gamepass at least from a 3rd party point of view.

I think this could be the case, as well as having some content for a SOP, or even TGA.

I really hope Stellar Blade is not Vaporware. Supposed to release this year but no word on it since last year.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Now that a few hours have passed i think this showcase was pretty good, my guess is that they're gonna reveal 1 more exclusive at either SGF or Game Awards to fill that first few months of 2024 and then the showcase they have next year will actually show first party games, because right now we only know of Wolverine and Factions, at least officially