By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Showcase announced for May 24 (Over an hour long, focusing on PS5 and PSVR2 games)

PotentHerbs said:
Qwark said:

Either PlayStation isn't big on announcing games far in advance or many games are stuck in dev hell. Seems like Insomniac, Santa Monica, Guerilla, Bluepoint and Housemarque are the only functional studios that will produce more than one single game it seems.

Based on what?

Aside from The Last of Us multiplayer, which Neil confirmed is going to be shown this year, Guerrilla Games second project is the only other game that I expected to show up, that didn't. 

I was expecting Stellar Blade and Silent Hill 2 release dates

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

Honestly I thought that was disappointing. 

A huge number of games, and good variety though. Around 70 minutes, 33 games.  And Spiderman got like a whopping 11 or 12 minutes of it. 

So many of the games are just known quantities like Street Fighter 6, and Final Fantasy XVI. 

Some of the first party stuff might be amazing, but the showings were very bad. We got like 50 seconds of teaser for Concord and like a 2 minute trailer for Fairgame$. Concord is supposed to be coming next year, why are we getting some 50 second trailer that shows us nothing other than it's some kind of sci-fi game?

I honestly think they should have cut some games and just called it a State of Play frankly... 

Spider-Man all but saved the show. If that was another short CGI trailer, I would've wondered what the point of this showcase was. But that was the one truly legit PS5 game they had to show, and it did some serious heavy lifting.

PotentHerbs said:
Qwark said:

Either PlayStation isn't big on announcing games far in advance or many games are stuck in dev hell. Seems like Insomniac, Santa Monica, Guerilla, Bluepoint and Housemarque are the only functional studios that will produce more than one single game it seems.

Based on what?

Aside from The Last of Us multiplayer, which Neil confirmed is going to be shown this year, Guerrilla Games second project is the only other game that I expected to show up, that didn't. 

Ghost of Tsushima launched in 2020 so 3 years ago and so far they haven't announced a new project. It being a high profile game I doubt they are going to release it 6 months after the announcement. Same goes for Days gone Dev. Days Gone was released in 2019, so pretty much 4 years ago.

TLOU MP, we still got nothing more than some artwork. As for London studios and Media Molecule, they where also no shows. I can give MM some leaway, but London Studios last game was released 4 years ago and they tend to make VR games.

So even if those studios (Sucker Punch, Bend, London Studios) all release a game next year which is doubtful at best. We would already be 3.5 years into this gen.

I doubt those studios can suddenly release games much quicker (within 3 years after their first release assuming PS6 is announced somewhere in 2026/early 2027) after their first PS5 release. Only ND might have enough manpower to do so.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

FF16

Shaunodon said:
the-pi-guy said:

Honestly I thought that was disappointing. 

A huge number of games, and good variety though. Around 70 minutes, 33 games.  And Spiderman got like a whopping 11 or 12 minutes of it. 

So many of the games are just known quantities like Street Fighter 6, and Final Fantasy XVI. 

Some of the first party stuff might be amazing, but the showings were very bad. We got like 50 seconds of teaser for Concord and like a 2 minute trailer for Fairgame$. Concord is supposed to be coming next year, why are we getting some 50 second trailer that shows us nothing other than it's some kind of sci-fi game?

I honestly think they should have cut some games and just called it a State of Play frankly... 

Spider-Man all but saved the show. If that was another short CGI trailer, I would've wondered what the point of this showcase was. But that was the one truly legit PS5 game they had to show, and it did some serious heavy lifting.

I don't think it was a bad show, to be honest. Not great but not bad either. A lot of already-known stuff and very few exclusives (I still cannot believe MGS Delta is not exclusive; that makes me really happy). 

Good (based on my taste, nothing objective here): 
- Metal Gear Solid Delta / Collection (that was my big hope for a reveal)
- Final Fantasy 16
- Assassin's Creed
- Alan Wake
- Dragon Dogma 2
- Marathon (not sure if it is a remake or a new game altogether, but this is super cool).

Bad:
- All those games for the first 20 minutes or so
- PSVR 2 :( Was hoping for more; was a let down for me
- I'm not into Spiderman at all so for me the final was just meh.
- The Splatoonlike game :)

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 24 May 2023

Around the Network

I was hoping Half-Life: Alyx would've been announced for PSVR2. That would've given the system a huge boost! Still could eventually happen, but Valve doesn't like to port their games really.

Yeah I am of the same mindset on this one with a 6/10. It definitely could have been better from a 1st party standpoint. Where's Bends game? Bluepoints game they were teasing, no Factions, no Stellar Blade and Cory’s new IP was a no show as well. Maybe they are staggering announcements between this and Summer Game fest so who knows. There was quite a bit of content there but it needed more 1st party stuff.

Also, I will say from a 3rd party standpoint that Sony knocked it out of the park. I know some people are gloating over a lot of games being multiplat and all but this was a killer marketing strategy going into the fall and next year. If a game is multiplat, people on other platforms still have to buy it!

As we have seen before with the likes of Hogwarts and such, it's all about having the marketing associated with that game. That's how Sony staves off Gamepass this holiday season. With the likelihood that they have the marketing for AC Mirage, Alan Wake 2 and even Dragons Dogma 2 and MGS3 later when it releases than that means the biggest game releases won't be on Gamepass this year. Add in Baldur’s Gate 3, Spiderman 2 and even CoD marketing this year and it’s smooth sailing for Sony. So this showcase for me just felt like a defensive maneuver against Gamepass at least from a 3rd party point of view.

gtotheunit91 said:

I was hoping Half-Life: Alyx would've been announced for PSVR2. That would've given the system a huge boost! Still could eventually happen, but Valve doesn't like to port their games really.

Oh man.... That would be SO sick. 

They did show some nice games, but almost none of them sold me on the idea I need a PS5 any time soon (if ever), other than Spider-Man. That's not including FFXVI which is already a known quantity, but I am glad they used a story/character trailer as that's the aspect I'm not quite sold on.

Maybe they're just confident that Xbox studios are so far behind in their devlopment while already playing catch up, that they don't need as many big hitters to compete right now. It practically sets up the holiday season as a straight shootout between Starfield and Spider-Man.

In the sense that they did a lot of groundwork for titles and didn't focus too heavily on any one game other than Spider-Man 2. BUT it almost felt like they rushed through too many titles and I can't remember most of them. Definitely interested in Alan Wake, The Lucky Squire, Spider-Man 2, FFXVI, and whatever that weird VR Zombie game was...