By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 120M, PS5 Sales Top 30M - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Dec 18-24

trunkswd said:

We do plan on continuing PS4 estimates through 2023. However, for Xbox One December 31, 2022 will be the final week.

Makes sense. PS4 is still selling some thousands, but the Xbox One is basically done at this point.

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
trunkswd said:

We do plan on continuing PS4 estimates through 2023. However, for Xbox One December 31, 2022 will be the final week.

Makes sense. PS4 is still selling some thousands, but the Xbox One is basically done at this point.

PS4 sales had dropped to very low numbers then out of nowhere there was more stock. 

In Japan, it was the week ending November 20, 2022 PS4 sales shot up to 5,803 units from 257 units the week before. And it has remained relatively high compared to where it was before.

NPD's Mat Piscatella mentioned there was relatively more PS4 stock in December in the US. Not a big number, but more than in the previous months.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 21 January 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

PS4 sales had dropped to very low numbers then out of nowhere there was more stock. 

In Japan, it was the week ending November 20, 2022 PS4 sales shot up to 5,803 units from 257 units the week before. And it has remained relatively high compared to where it was before.

NPD's Mat Piscatella mentioned there was relatively more PS4 stock in December in the US. Not a big number, but more than in the previous months.

I see. It's going to be interesting to see for how long Sony plans to support the PS4.

They can still get some money from it, since it's a very popular console. My friend got his PS4 a couple of months ago, since PS5 is still very expensive and hard to find here.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
trunkswd said:

I see. It's going to be interesting to see for how long Sony plans to support the PS4.

They can still get some money from it, since it's a very popular console. My friend got his PS4 a couple of months ago, since PS5 is still very expensive and hard to find here.

What is interesting is the last time Sony updated PS4 shipment figures was for the quarter ending March 31, 2022. So it seems like Sony kept some stock in storage until late November and December. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

What is interesting is the last time Sony updated PS4 shipment figures was for the quarter ending March 31, 2022. So it seems like Sony kept some stock in storage until late November and December. 

I think they will announce one last final shipment number at 117.1 or even 117.2M for the quorter ending december 31st.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Around the Network
yo33331 said:
trunkswd said:

I think they will announce one last final shipment number at 117.1 or even 117.2M for the quorter ending december 31st.

We will find out on February 2 when Sony releases its earnings report.

trunkswd said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

The holidays are a very strong time for gaming sales. I can totally understand if they did it.

I went over the latest gaming news tonight. I forgot to post that I was live, but the video has now been posted. 

Link to the VGChartz article here.

Xbox Gaming and Hardware Revenue Drops 13% in December Quarter, Xbox Game Pass Sees Growth

Microsoft has released its earnings report for the second quarter of the 2023 fiscal year, which ended up December 31, 2022.

Xbox gaming revenue declined 13 percent year-on-year from $5.44 billion to $4.76 billion. 

Xbox Content & Services revenue decreased 12 percent. This was due to a "a strong prior year comparable" with a decline in first-party content and lower monetization in third-party content. This was "partially offset by growth in Xbox Game Pass subscriptions.

Xbox hardware revenue decreased 13 percent year-on-year. This was driven by "lower price and volume of consoles sold."

Overall, Microsoft reported revenue up two percent year-over-year to $52.7 billion and net income down 12 percent to $16.4 billion.

"The next major wave of computing is being born, as the Microsoft Cloud turns the world’s most advanced AI models into a new computing platform," said Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. "We are committed to helping our customers use our platforms and tools to do more with less today and innovate for the future in the new era of AI."

Will there be any adjustments for Xbox Series consoles following the MS Report?