By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 120M, PS5 Sales Top 30M - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Dec 18-24

Fight-the-Streets said:
curl-6 said:

Will be interesting to see if the report of Switch production being upped this coming FY pans out, and how that affects the YOY difference vs 2022.
I am skeptical they can reverse the system's natural decline, as it being up would be absolutely insane and almost unprecedented.

If I remember correctly, the PS4 also sold better in 2018 than in 2017.

2017 was the peak year for PS4 console sales.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Fight-the-Streets said:

If I remember correctly, the PS4 also sold better in 2018 than in 2017.

VGChartz numbers have PS4 at 19.75m for 2017 and 18.25m for 2018.

I do think there are a few other rare examples though, hence "almost" unprecedented.

The best example would be the Xbox 360. The Kinect gave the console a nice boost in 2010 and 2011.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

VGChartz numbers have PS4 at 19.75m for 2017 and 18.25m for 2018.

I do think there are a few other rare examples though, hence "almost" unprecedented.

The best example would be the Xbox 360. The Kinect gave the console a nice boost in 2010 and 2011.

Gameboy too I think, when Pokemon first exploded.

It's a very rare thing though, for the majority of consoles, they peak once, then its downhill.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

It's a very rare thing though, for the majority of consoles, they peak once, then its downhill.

Yes, another good example. Pokémon and Game Boy Color did wonders for Game Boy sales. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I’m extremely sceptical that Nintendo will be able to match or exceed their 2022 sales. I think it could only happen with a price drop and a new revision.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Yes, another good example. Pokémon and Game Boy Color did wonders for Game Boy sales. 

Believe it or not, the 3DS had a YoY increase in its sixth year if I'm not mistaken; about 480,000 units over the previous year.  Not much, but an increase nonetheless - and that was the 3DS.  I'm not necessarily expecting the Switch to be up over last year, but I don't think sales will drop too much this year with Nintendo's continued support.

archbrix said:
trunkswd said:

Believe it or not, the 3DS had a YoY increase in its sixth year if I'm not mistaken; about 480,000 units over the previous year.  Not much, but an increase nonetheless - and that was the 3DS.  I'm not necessarily expecting the Switch to be up over last year, but I don't think sales will drop too much this year with Nintendo's continued support.

Wasn't it because of Pokémon Sun/Moon release coupled with the effect of the Pokémon Go craze ?

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
archbrix said:

Wasn't it because of Pokémon Sun/Moon release coupled with the effect of the Pokémon Go craze ?

I don't remember but you're probably right, as it would explain the increase in shipments.  If the 3DS can exceed/remain flat with that, certainly the Switch could do it with a Zelda/2D Mario/Mario movie effect.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

I mixed it up, it was just that the PS4 peaked later than the usual third full year on the market which would have been end of 2016. Also unusual was that, not only the following year (2017, the peak year) but also the year after (2018) sold more than 2016. The decline from 2017 to 2018 was just 7.59%. That's impressive. That's also why from there it looked like the trajectory for PS4 looked to be like a 135 - 143 mil. lifetime sales.

Fight-the-Streets said:
curl-6 said:

I mixed it up, it was just that the PS4 peaked later than the usual third full year on the market which would have been end of 2016. Also unusual was that, not only the following year (2017, the peak year) but also the year after (2018) sold more than 2016. The decline from 2017 to 2018 was just 7.59%. That's impressive. That's also why from there it looked like the trajectory for PS4 looked to be like a 135 - 143 mil. lifetime sales.

Don't forget the release of the PS4 Pro late 2016