By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 120M, PS5 Sales Top 30M - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Dec 18-24

There was a big leak for NPD and I just did adjustments for the US, Canada, and Latin America. I'm gonna update the most recent weekly sales article with the latest figures. Just give me a little while to do that.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Just give me a little while to do that.

Okay, but that's only because you asked it gently

Okay so after the adjustment the Xbox Series is currently sitting at 9.43 million for the year instead of 10,01 million. I was thinking about the fact that it seemed way overtracked but didn't wanna face the nay-sayers

SKMBlake said:

Okay so after the adjustment the Xbox Series is currently sitting at 9.43 million for the year instead of 10,01 million. I was thinking about the fact that it seemed way overtracked but didn't wanna face the nay-sayers

November was the main reason we had overtracked it so much. We weren't that far off for the other months. It did far worse than we thought. So I adjusted December down a bit as well after that. I also adjusted Canada and Latin America. And with the yearly best-selling consoles we had Switch too high in 2021 by about ~250K.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

3 weekly articles for December 24 have all been updated with the latest estimates following the adjustments.

Around the Network

With the adjustments, PlayStation 5 has outsold the Atari 2600.

Barring more adjustments following the quarterly reports from Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony here is where our estimates currently are at with 1 week missing of 2022:

Lifetime:

• NS: 120,460,773
  • PS5: 30,244,110
  • XS: 20,564,602

2022 YTD:

• NS: 19.04M
  • PS5: 13.26M
  • XS: 9.50M

December 31 estimates should be around:

• NS: ~560K-590K
  • PS5: ~320K-340K
  • XS: ~200K-220K

Thank you very much, @trunks!

I have to damit I am quite impressed that PS5 seems to have outsold XS and Switch in the US after adjustments for that week. And roughly 200k units more overall than earlier estimates.

I really appreciate Sony's efforts to improve availability. Wonder if, in total, they have reached the argued "additional 3mill in stock for that last quarter"? I remember the news arguing Sony may have stock-piled 3 million PS5s.

Very promising estimates for PS5, anyway.

Panicradio said:

Thank you very much, @trunks!

I have to damit I am quite impressed that PS5 seems to have outsold XS and Switch in the US after adjustments for that week. And roughly 200k units more overall than earlier estimates.

I really appreciate Sony's efforts to improve availability. Wonder if, in total, they have reached the argued "additional 3mill in stock for that last quarter"? I remember the news arguing Sony may have stock-piled 3 million PS5s.

Very promising estimates for PS5, anyway.

No problem. As more data becomes available I like to get adjustments done as quickly as possible. (Unless I'm on vacation :P). I'm shocked at how low Xbox Series was in November in the US. Percentage wise it performed better in Europe year-on-year than in the US for the month.

We do plan on continuing PS4 estimates through 2023. However, for Xbox One December 31, 2022 will be the final week.