By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Rumor) Nintendo discarded "Switch Pro"

Do you believe a mid-gen upgrade for Switch will happen?

Yes, this rumor is wrong. 10 20.83%

No, this rumor is accurate 38 79.17%

Total:48

I think the rumors were true and I do think Nintendo comes with another revision (could it be a massive upgrade? I think it's not impossible). I don't think Switch 2 will come out before 2025.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
shikamaru317 said:

There are a few where I'm pretty sure that the dev team is trying to scale it between all of the systems, such as Sonic Frontiers, instead of designing around the newer consoles and then trying to port down to Switch. Usually the games where the Switch port is late it is safe to say that they are porting down, such as the upcoming Hogwarts Legacy, while those like Sonic Frontiers, which are on Switch at launch, I'm skeptical that they are porting down instead of trying to scale down.

Sonic Frontiers is pretty compromised on Switch graphically, it definitely seems like it was built for the stronger platforms then cut down, as opposed to built with Switch in mind then scaled up.

In cases where the baseline is PS4 and Xbox One, which is still most games, it's usually possible to get it onto Switch with enough concessions, that doesn't necessarily mean Switch held the game back, just that the power gap between the 2013 base systems and the Switch isn't big enough to prevent the core design of most games being transferable.

Outside of indie titles that aren't demanding, there are hardly any multiplatform titles built for the Switch at all. Developers skip Switch all the time, it's not holding them back.

Yes it's not like the last gen Pro consoles gave the industry a mid gen push forward by creating  a slew of games that utilised all that extra power, mostly it was about standard games using that extra headroom for a smoother experience, it was not meant to push gaming forward the way a new gen does.

it just meant the gamers willing to pay a little extra for the Pro options and enhancements those consoles enabled along with late comers had a choice.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

This whole prediction about the Switch successor reminds me of how in 2022, some actually were thinking the Switch 2(not the Pro mind you) had an actual chance of releasing in this year Holiday or early 2023 ....

Oooh boy, to be bold like tbone without his incredible luck at predicting such 😅

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Considering the DSi and New 3DS, this seems very likely. The Switch Pro was probably intended for 2021 or 2022, but was considered too costly with chip shortages.
Switch 2 will likely be out in 2024, 2025 at the latest.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Mar1217 said:

This whole prediction about the Switch successor reminds me of how in 2022, some actually were thinking the Switch 2(not the Pro mind you) had an actual chance of releasing in this year Holiday or early 2023 ....

Oooh boy, to be bold like tbone without his incredible luck at predicting such 😅

There are so many YouTubers predicting an early Switch release just so they can say “I was one of the first to predict it.” They have a lot to learn about what it means to predict something. Yes, there will be a Switch successor. Predicting that doesn’t make you smart. 2022 was the silliest prediction. I don’t think 2023 is much better. 

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

Considering the DSi and New 3DS, this seems very likely. The Switch Pro was probably intended for 2021 or 2022, but was considered too costly with chip shortages.

A big clue will be the Feburary Direct. If it's mostly 3rd party and almost nothing in the way of 1st party then late 2023 seems likely. If they announce some new stuff then yeah 2024 maybe it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Once 2020 hit it just didn't make much sense to release a Pro when they couldn't even keep up with demand of the regular Switch.
Hardcore enthusiasts may cry out for ever better graphics, but the mass market is clearly still quite happy with Switch's performance given the strong ongoing sales of both hardware and software.

curl-6 said:

Once 2020 hit it just didn't make much sense to release a Pro when they couldn't even keep up with demand of the regular Switch.
Hardcore enthusiasts may cry out for ever better graphics, but the mass market is clearly still quite happy with Switch's performance given the strong ongoing sales of both hardware and software.

And I sure don't think you'll see the mass market cry so early on next year for the next system when we're about to get one of the most anticipated game of the Switch generation in May.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I've been telling everyone the new hardware is coming out in 2023 so I know Nintendo won't let me down. They have been working on a few big titles and now that they've sold a ton of Switch consoles it's time for the next phase and I'm chomping at the bit to dump a bunch of cash on it.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Leynos said:
Wman1996 said:

A big clue will be the Feburary Direct. If it's mostly 3rd party and almost nothing in the way of 1st party then late 2023 seems likely. If they announce some new stuff then yeah 2024 maybe it.

I mean this year 1st party/exclusives-wise we got:

- Pokémon Legends Arceus

- Kirby Forgotten Land

- Nintendo Switch Sports

- Mario Strikers 3

- Xenoblade Chronicles 3

- Splatoon 3

- Bayonetta 3

- Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope

- Pokémon Scarlet/Violet

- Triangle Strategy

- Mario Kart 8 DLC packs

And the remake of Advance War was postponned due to war but planned for this year too.

So of course they had to leave room for 3rd parties.