By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Rumor) Nintendo discarded "Switch Pro"

Do you believe a mid-gen upgrade for Switch will happen?

Yes, this rumor is wrong. 10 20.83%

No, this rumor is accurate 38 79.17%

Total:48

Can't really comment on the authenticity or truthfulness of such a rumour but yes, I don't believe there will be a Switch Pro. In fact I doubt that a real 'Pro' was ever seriously on the table (aside from minor revisions like the OLED).

Around the Network

I never bought the switch pro rumors. Sales were too good. Switch 2 in 2024 makes sense.

Sad that they wont come out with this.

I would have bought it easily.

Hopefully the successor to Switch will have b/c.

That's interesting. Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the pandemic killed the idea because they were having a hard enough time just meeting demand on the models they already had. Plus Switch sales went crazy in 2020 and 2021 so they also were probably like well we don't even need a Switch 'Pro' and can just put out a small upgrade which became the OLED.

OP I don't know why you say we would hear something bigger in the next couple months. What would rumor of them scrapping a Switch Pro a while back have to do with any sort of announcement soon? Successor is probably roughly 18 months away so we're probably about a year away from it being announced. And since this rumor is saying a 'Pro' was scrapped obviously that would mean there wouldn't be an announcement on something that is no longer being worked on.

Slownenberg said:

That's interesting. Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the pandemic killed the idea because they were having a hard enough time just meeting demand on the models they already had. Plus Switch sales went crazy in 2020 and 2021 so they also were probably like well we don't even need a Switch 'Pro' and can just put out a small upgrade which became the OLED.

OP I don't know why you say we would hear something bigger in the next couple months. What would rumor of them scrapping a Switch Pro a while back have to do with any sort of announcement soon? Successor is probably roughly 18 months away so we're probably about a year away from it being announced. And since this rumor is saying a 'Pro' was scrapped obviously that would mean there wouldn't be an announcement on something that is no longer being worked on.

Well, during the Wii U era, we learned about the NX (Switch) long time before release. Maybe some similar speculation will happen.

Around the Network

With all the reports that got every detail of the OLED model right aside from a power increase this would make sense. It's a shame a more powerful revision didn't come out since various Switch games would benefit a lot from it but at least they should still benefit on the successor through backwards compatibility.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
Slownenberg said:

Well, during the Wii U era, we learned about the NX (Switch) long time before release. Maybe some similar speculation will happen.

The Switch era is most definitely not the WiiU era, though.  Announcing that (or even rumoring that) there is a successor to the WiiU on its way would result in almost no sales lost, as the WiiU made most of its sales in its first year and died a slow death the rest of the time.  Unveiling or hinting at a Switch successor (outside the typical PR stuff) in a few months would kill Switch sales for the holiday and could cost them as many as 5-7 million units.  These are delicate times for Nintendo and they will be doing their best to be on their best behavior.  I wouldn't be surprised if we don't start getting any real hints from Nintendo about the Switch 2 until after March 31, 2023.

Switch 2 4K

Good. We need Switch 2 asap, the baseline system that is holding all the others back needs to be replaced with something that will hold devs back less when they try to do a full multiplat release. All a Switch Pro would have done was extend Switch's life by a couple more years. Hopefully this means we get Switch 2 Q1 2024, that would be great imo, a 7 year generation for Switch 1.

super_etecoon said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

The Switch era is most definitely not the WiiU era, though.  Announcing that (or even rumoring that) there is a successor to the WiiU on its way would result in almost no sales lost, as the WiiU made most of its sales in its first year and died a slow death the rest of the time.  Unveiling or hinting at a Switch successor (outside the typical PR stuff) in a few months would kill Switch sales for the holiday and could cost them as many as 5-7 million units.  These are delicate times for Nintendo and they will be doing their best to be on their best behavior.  I wouldn't be surprised if we don't start getting any real hints from Nintendo about the Switch 2 until after March 31, 2023.

Exactly. I'm sure there will be rumors for a while before an actual announcement but I would bet Nintendo doesn't actually announce the successor until early 2024, letting Switch have one last strong holiday season, letting Switch 2 have a mid-year or holiday 2024 launch.

Nintendo can feast off insane software sales and still quite good HW sales the next 12+ months before telling people to start getting ready for the successor. Gamers should be focused on Pikmin 4, Metroid Prime 4, Zelda TotK, Fire Emblem, etc, next year, along with whatever other games they still have up their sleeves like the rumored Prime remake, possibly DK, gotta assume 2D Mario, and probably more. No reason to be looking to the next gen anytime soon.

I think perfect situation for Nintendo would be to load up 2023 with a huge SW year (assuming they are working on finishing up a bunch of Switch's final round of games) with just monster SW sales for the year, saving a couple AA games for early 2024 release, then Jan/Feb 2024 announce Switch 2 for like a May launch. That gives people time to get ready, while not leaving too much time for HW sales to drop off, and letting SW still have a few months to sell huge numbers before Nintendo and the gaming media switch over to the Switch 2 launch and Switch sunsets.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 29 December 2022