By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Rumor) Nintendo discarded "Switch Pro"

Do you believe a mid-gen upgrade for Switch will happen?

Yes, this rumor is wrong. 10 20.83%

No, this rumor is accurate 38 79.17%

Total:48

Nah, this is just, “we were wrong about Switch Pro and don’t want to admit it so we’re saying Nintendo scrapped it”.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I join the attitude of a couple when I say that at the best they could've known, I never once thought the Pro was is in the plans for Nintendo.

This kind of rumor to me only sounds as it is so it could relegitimize some of those rumor mongers that were off the post for so long, only so they can get their cake anew once we go into the Switch 2 rumor cycle.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

shikamaru317 said:

Good. We need Switch 2 asap, the baseline system that is holding all the others back needs to be replaced with something that will hold devs back less when they try to do a full multiplat release. All a Switch Pro would have done was extend Switch's life by a couple more years. Hopefully this means we get Switch 2 Q1 2024, that would be great imo, a 7 year generation for Switch 1.

How is Switch 1 holding the other systems back?

Aside from non-demanding indie games where this isn't an issue, almost all third party games are being made with PS/Xbox as the baseline, then ported down to the Switch where feasible.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 December 2022

Good if true. Console upgrades like that are pointless and divide the userbase more than expand it.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

curl-6 said:

Honestly, Switch did not and does not need a Pro model.

Better to just make it a full generational successor at this point.

True its past the point for a Pro model and next one should be the next gen Switch, the pandemic pretty much stopped any thought of a Pro, the large spike in demand and the pressure on existing supply meant it wasn't an ideal time for introducing new tech and now it's pretty much time to move on.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Good. We need Switch 2 asap, the baseline system that is holding all the others back needs to be replaced with something that will hold devs back less when they try to do a full multiplat release. All a Switch Pro would have done was extend Switch's life by a couple more years. Hopefully this means we get Switch 2 Q1 2024, that would be great imo, a 7 year generation for Switch 1.

Aside from non-demanding indie games where this isn't an issue, almost all third party games are being made with PS/Xbox as the baseline, then ported down to the Switch where feasible.

There are a few where I'm pretty sure that the dev team is trying to scale it between all of the systems, such as Sonic Frontiers, instead of designing around the newer consoles and then trying to port down to Switch. Usually the games where the Switch port is late it is safe to say that they are porting down, such as the upcoming Hogwarts Legacy, while those like Sonic Frontiers, which are on Switch at launch, I'm skeptical that they are porting down instead of trying to scale down.

Then you've got the Japanese devs who are using Switch as a baseline since it sold insanely well in Japan, so we have series like Atelier that won't see a decent sized graphical leap forward until Switch is no longer the baseline. 

And now that Xbox is talking about bringing CoD to Nintendo platforms if the acquisition is approved, which will presumably begin with the 2024 CoD game from Treyarch, the sooner we get Switch 2 the better imo. Not to mention there are many Switch exclusives I want to play which should run alot better through back compat on Switch 2 (hopefully Nintendo supports back compat on Switch 2). 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 29 December 2022

shikamaru317 said:
curl-6 said:

There are a few where I'm pretty sure that the dev team is trying to scale it between all of the systems, such as Sonic Frontiers, instead of designing around the newer consoles and then trying to port down to Switch. Usually the games where the Switch port is late it is safe to say that they are porting down, such as the upcoming Hogwarts Legacy, while those like Sonic Frontiers, which are on Switch at launch, I'm skeptical that they are porting down instead of trying to scale down.

Sonic Frontiers is pretty compromised on Switch graphically, it definitely seems like it was built for the stronger platforms then cut down, as opposed to built with Switch in mind then scaled up.

In cases where the baseline is PS4 and Xbox One, which is still most games, it's usually possible to get it onto Switch with enough concessions, that doesn't necessarily mean Switch held the game back, just that the power gap between the 2013 base systems and the Switch isn't big enough to prevent the core design of most games being transferable.

Outside of indie titles that aren't demanding, there are hardly any multiplatform titles built for the Switch at all. Developers skip Switch all the time, it's not holding them back.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 December 2022

zorg1000 said:

Nah, this is just, “we were wrong about Switch Pro and don’t want to admit it so we’re saying Nintendo scrapped it”.

This exactly.  Especially when many, including myself, demonstrated why a switch 'pro' never made sense.  

I upgraded my ps4 to a pro and was largely disappointed.  Might as well wait until the improvement is worth it.  A switch 2 in 2024 makes the most sense, always has.  

I’m fine with this. I was holding on replacing my Switch with the OLED just in case there was a pro. But at this point it doesn’t make sense. I’ll try to get my hands on the Zelda OLED so that I have a brand new piece of hardware that’ll last me longer. I play almost exclusively handheld as well so I’m excited for the update.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Releasing a Pro model of a more than 6 year old system would've been a weird move anyway.
The New 3DS came out less than 4 years into that system's life, DSi less than 4 years in, PS4 Pro just under 3 years in, Xbox One X just under 4.