By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Rumor) Nintendo discarded "Switch Pro"

Do you believe a mid-gen upgrade for Switch will happen?

Yes, this rumor is wrong. 10 20.83%

No, this rumor is accurate 38 79.17%

Total:48

Yeah, I think is certain that Nintendo considered mid-gen update but gave up at some point.
It is already hard to optimize to handled and docked modes, with a mid-gen would increase the work to mid-gen handheld and mid-gen docked, 4 different versions to optimize to.

Around the Network

Yeah considering their long history with devices like the Gameboy Colour, DSi, and New 3DS, it's very believable that a more powerful Switch revision was on the cards at one point. They've been making such revisions since the 90s.

People often forget, when rumors don't pan out, that plans can and do change. Not every game or system ever conceived makes it to completion, and it's not exactly far fetched that the pandemic resulted in Switch Pro being shelved.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 January 2023

Kakadu18 said:
SKMBlake said:

I mean this year 1st party/exclusives-wise we got:

- Pokémon Legends Arceus

- Kirby Forgotten Land

- Nintendo Switch Sports

- Mario Strikers 3

- Xenoblade Chronicles 3

- Splatoon 3

- Bayonetta 3

- Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope

- Pokémon Scarlet/Violet

- Triangle Strategy

- Mario Kart 8 DLC packs

And the remake of Advance War was postponned due to war but planned for this year too.

So of course they had to leave room for 3rd parties.

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes and Live A Live.

Yes indeed, I knew I was forgetting some

GB, GBA, DS were easier to upgrade though, they had simple main processors that could be easily upgraded (GBA and DS especially just used standard ARM cores) because they were component lines that were used in a lot of other products, not just the Game Boy or DS. 

Nvidia Tegra chips don't work like that. Nvidia doesn't just make a Tegra X1 with extra CUDA cores or more CPU cores, even how much RAM can be added is limited (well there is the X2 Parker, but it's not that much more advanced than the X1).

I suspect what actually happened is Nintendo was planning a successor system thinking it would launch around 2023 (so now), but then the pandemic happened and that altered the time line. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 02 January 2023

As already mentioned in the thread, a TV-only Switch version would be neat. I think there would definitely be interest into it. Could be done for a price point of $99.- but I don't think Nintendo will go that low, so realistically $149.99.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I actually thought that this happened. The reason I thought so was twofold: a) The chip crunch and b) NVidia going on saying that they won't develop custom chips for anyone. To go into detail:

Nintendo having a secondary production line for a newer/faster SoC doesn't replace a current production line, it's an additional capacity that would be added as the original SoC would still need to be produced.

It would have resulted in more devices being available in the marketplace in general.

It does mean they would have the Microsoft issue though, where they seem able to keep stock of the cheaper, simpler Series S, but struggle with the Series X hardware.

curl-6 said:

Honestly, Switch did not and does not need a Pro model.

Better to just make it a full generational successor at this point.

Switch does need a Pro model.

And it didn't need to be anything exotic, the hardware actually already exists, even inside the current Switch consoles.

That is... The thermal/power headroom to simply run at higher clockspeeds with the current SoC. - Many overclocked Switch devices have shown the massive improvements that can be achieved in terms of frame time and frame rates that higher clockrates bring.

S.Peelman said:

Can't really comment on the authenticity or truthfulness of such a rumour but yes, I don't believe there will be a Switch Pro. In fact I doubt that a real 'Pro' was ever seriously on the table (aside from minor revisions like the OLED).

Indeed, that ship has sailed.

We did get the Switch refresh though with the OLED variant which does bring some improvements on the portable display side.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Honestly, Switch did not and does not need a Pro model.

Better to just make it a full generational successor at this point.

What I meant was, it just became the 3rd highest selling system of all time without a Pro model; the general audience still seems to find it acceptable as it is.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 January 2023

Fight-the-Streets said:

As already mentioned in the thread, a TV-only Switch version would be neat. I think there would definitely be interest into it. Could be done for a price point of $99.- but I don't think Nintendo will go that low, so realistically $149.99.

Yeah this is the only new model that would really make sense, but its too late now seeing as how Switch 2 is almost certainly less than 2 years away. I mean its not too late but I feel like it would make more sense to increase sales by dropping the price on current models rather than bringing in a new model.

One thing that would be really cool to see (which absolutely won't happen) is if for the Switch 2 Nintendo brought out a whole family of models early so consumers had a choice. Like Launch normal hybrid Switch 2, and then in year 2 launch a portable only cheap Lite 2 and an even cheaper Home model as well. So like within say 18 months there is a whole family of Switch 2's for every different type of gamer. Then later on do an upgraded hybrid akin to the OLED from this gen.

I know revisions are usually to spruce up sales over the course of the lifecycle, but I just think it would be cool if Nintendo gave consumers the full range of options from early on to truly promote it as there being an option for everyone.

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

What I meant was, it just became the 3rd highest selling system of all time without a Pro model; the general audience still seems to find it acceptable as it is.

This exactly.  The switch clearly doesn't "need" much of anything.  It was a wild success and has a superb software library.

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

This exactly.  The switch clearly doesn't "need" much of anything.  It was a wild success and has a superb software library.

Nah, it definitely needs a pro model because in my subjective opinion that I think is objective fact it is to weak. It doesn't matter that the Switch 2 could come out in a year from now we NEED a Switch pro asap.

/s